You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

otto wrote:

It's time to lower the key in some songs.
There's no shame in that.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If he would just do that on every song nobody would complain. When Ian Gilligan can drop Child In Time from their set, one of their biggest hits, then surely Axl can drop some of the numerous hits in his catalog.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He does sound pretty good on Nightrain.

Sky Dog wrote:

Do we think maybe he blew those high vocals and screams out on the AC/DC tour? He hasn’t been the same since.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

First month of touring over, nothing played or released yet. Tick tick tick...

Sky Dog wrote:

Man, they are rockin

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Do we think maybe he blew those high vocals and screams out on the AC/DC tour? He hasn’t been the same since.

Sadly it seems so.

The first leg of Ac/Dc didn't seem to cause any issues as the GNR shows scheduled near them like Houston 2016 were similarly powerhouse. Suerhuman levels of rasp.

His voice in second half of the final leg of Ac/Dc shows seemed to be less hardcore although still mighty impressive.

From the end of that leg going back to GNR he seemed to be trying to reduce the strain and swapped to using other voices more, several times in 2017 he would do a screamy bit and you'd hear is voice kinda crack in a way it didn't normally. He seemed to kinda push through that year...but I think from about 2018 onwards he hasn't really had the same power he used to have, even though he'd force moments of it like a boss.

These days they've done a good job IMO of changing up the set to be less vocally demanding generally (hard feat considering basically all GNR songs are vocally demanding).

However it's obvious from the live shows that he tries but he's working with a damaged/older instrument. You can see he's trying his ass off to deliver a good show for people, and I think succeeding for the most part. I mean who can scream at 61 like they could at 28 in that range anyways, it's understandable. There's still quite a few bad ass moments too.

I don't think he's holding back exactly, but you can see too that he seems to be trying to sing things in less damaging ways, which is wise, and I think the difference in 2023 compared to say 2021 is he's done a better job of picking out of his voices to hide bits that have to be changed. For example is something used to be a raspy scream and he was going to skip it, traditionally he'd sing it high in 'mickey' voice, but more recently he'll do things like sing it in a gravelly speaking voice lower so it still sounds agressive - or he'll do the most important raspy line in the song well but skimp on the others a bit, just little quirks like that.

Interestingly though he still can occasionally pull the rabbit out of the hat - like how he nailed the twat scream with full rasp and on key a few weeks ago mind blowingly. This gives me hope that he'd still be able to do something awesome in a studio where he can take time to pick a day that suits, and they can cherry pick the best takes etc.

My guess is that he's probably blown out certain areas of his voice, and been advised not to destroy the others too, so he kinda balances giving the song it's proper feel with the long term implications of pushing past the limits, and in some cases things that can't be done as simply as they used to due to age/overuse.

Anyways i sure don't think it's him being 'lazy' like people say, I think it's more a matter of necessity at this stage - my guess is there's a limited number of shows left in him and so the 'tricks' he does these days are designed to get more milage out of it so there can be more shows.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

SMKC are resuming touring in January 2024, so I guess that puts a stop to any new GN’R songs coming out any time soon…

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

SMKC are resuming touring in January 2024, so I guess that puts a stop to any new GN’R songs coming out any time soon…

There must be a 4 week window or so before the US tour starts?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

As I've said all year....this is it.

If we don't get whatever is on tap in 2023, we're never getting it. GNR will go silent in 2024 and probably regroup after Slash's solo ventures for another nostalgia tour the following year.

August-October is the home stretch. After the US leg is wrapped up, they have no reason to release anything.

Board footer