You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Crossober
 Rep: 0 

Re: Using AI to give Axl Rose´s voice back

Crossober wrote:

Hello everyone! I would like to share my experiment, which was to replace Axl's current voice with the one from his best times through AI.
This applied to the concert that the band gave at Rock in Rio 2017.
I appreciate your vision and, if you like the result, share it.

Greetings!

A short example:

Complete Show:

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

That is... interesting..
I've skipped through some of the songs and while some sounds good, I'm not sure about others ( used to love her for example), I mean I'm not sure if the AI is needed there.

Anyway, I'd love to know more about the process.
Is it some kind of filter/ voice changer effect?
A ML module with lots of live concerts generating a new version of each song?

The idea itself is crazy and amazing

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not bad at all. Didn't watch the whole show...just clips.

Is this really AI? It seems more like some sort of filter.

We're in the infancy stage of this. Imagine this tech in a few years.

A few projects I expect in the coming years....

CD II of course
Slash's Snakepit with Axl vocals
VR with Axl vocals

You'll also see people try to improve vocals on CD songs like Madagascar and Street of Dreams

A project that would be possible but require shit tons of creativity is adding Axl vocals to a handful of Buckethead songs.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:

Cool!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I want to redub all his shows with 86 vocals. That would be something.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Bit of an ethical minefield, this. On the one hand, it's somewhat of an insult to Axl's efforts to perform live to the best of his ability; the man's running around the stage, giving it his all, at 60. On the other, Axl himself resorted to in-studio trickery, subbing in re-recorded studio vocals on Live Era.

What's quite interesting is that we're probably not far off the point where AI could do something like this in real-time – just applying a "1988" or "1993" filter to Axl's vocals as he's performing live. Would that be considered cheating? Or would audiences even care?

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

How would everyone feel if GNR used these techniques to create new material as James suggested? Feels similar to the whole debate as to whether bands should use backing tracks live...

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Scabbie wrote:

How would everyone feel if GNR used these techniques to create new material as James suggested? Feels similar to the whole debate as to whether bands should use backing tracks live...

In studio? I suspect we'd never know if they were using it or not (if Axl even needs something like this in studio). Live, I suspect it would be more obvious (if it's even possible to do something like that in real time). TBH I don't see it as a particular issue – like I say, it's effectively just another form of vocal effect, and vocalists routinely employ those without batting an eyelid. And there's all sorts of vastly more dubious trickery employed in live performance; IIRC one famous drummer from the 70s basically mimes live while a session drummer pounds away behind the curtain, for instance.

In some ways it's more authentic than slapping some Pro Tools effect over Axl's voice, since it is his voice – used as training data to apply a layer over his current voice. If actors' appearances can be digitally de-aged using data based on their previous appearance, why not singers' voices?

Axl himself might have a different opinion though, especially given how obviously proud he is of running around performing live.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

While on the fence in general regarding AI, I'm pretty much willing to embrace it whole hog when it comes to music. The industry has already been completely ruined with rap and pop tarts with little to no talent being placed on pedestals. Combine that with all the music "talent" shows they've forced down our throats for 20 years...fuck em.

Unleash the beast....

Will it create more Ariana Grande's and Taylor Swifts? Sure....but it might also create new officially sanctioned Pink Floyd, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Soundgarden, and GNR albums.

A new Pink Floyd album that could fit between Wish You Were Here and Animals? Sign me up....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Given that Axl has wasted the last 30+ years, I am 100% in favor of Artificial Intelligence to give us new GN'R music. Also want to see high quality AI music from dead musicians, especially the folks who died young such as Buddy Holly, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and others.

Board footer