You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: How do you feel about CD potentially being the last GNR album?

polluxlm wrote:

The more I think about it, If The World is the most accomplished song on CD. It's not the greatest melody out there, but it sounds modern, crisp and you can tell they didn't mess around too much with it. The same can be said of Sorry, another late edition to the sessions.

Rest of the album is a bunch of great ideas ruined by overproduction. The Blues was a great song when you heard it live and you dreamed about hearing a studio version. Madagascar too. But what we hear on the album is a mess. The village sessions are for the most part far superior in their simplicity and attitude.

What we need is a proper remaster, but won't happen with the reunion band. Perhaps the best thing would be to compile a whole new album with Slash and Duff, using songs from CD and from "CD II", and then make that the last GN'R album. In a sense that would be similar to a hypothetical late 90s, early 00s GN'R album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Unfortunately....I do believe now it's their last album....other than a compilation or another box set.

They clearly have no desire to record or release new material.... crystal clear....so I will no longer pretend some sort of forward movement is on the horizon.

Had there been any desire to do something....they wouldn't have waited until year seven of the reunion shindig to get it going.

It barely counts as a GNR album anyways. It's already slipping through the cracks of time and 87-93 is really all that matters when you get down to brass tacks.

As I've said before....the CD saga now just feels like a long con and a bait and switch.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

If ticket sales don’t heat up by the time the tour begins — and at this rate there is no reason to expect they will — they had better reassess the unreleased material. In the absence of any interviews or other promotion they are going to face acres of empty seats.

Considering how leaks seem to have spurred the band/Axl to action in the past, this is a really good time for CD2 or other material to drop.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Unfortunately....I do believe now it's their last album....other than a compilation or another box set.

They clearly have no desire to record or release new material.... crystal clear....so I will no longer pretend some sort of forward movement is on the horizon.

Had there been any desire to do something....they wouldn't have waited until year seven of the reunion shindig to get it going.

It barely counts as a GNR album anyways. It's already slipping through the cracks of time and 87-93 is really all that matters when you get down to brass tacks.

As I've said before....the CD saga now just feels like a long con and a bait and switch.

I wouldn't mind it as much if it were the real CD not the hacked up final "version" we got in 2008.  If they released some deluxe version (lol yeah right) with the Beaven mixes or whatever different cuts along with some reworked versions with Slash and Duff I'd be fine with it.

You've mentioned this or come close to it regarding, everything we thought we knew or assumed as "hurdles" in releasing this thing was just incompetent management and just Axl not giving a shit at some point say past 2003 or 2004 (maybe before that).

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

What we need is a proper remaster, but won't happen with the reunion band. Perhaps the best thing would be to compile a whole new album with Slash and Duff, using songs from CD and from "CD II", and then make that the last GN'R album. In a sense that would be similar to a hypothetical late 90s, early 00s GN'R album.

The problem I have with that is... they have Slash, and Duff, and Fortus, and Melissa and Dizzy in the band. All songwriters with credits to their name, all more than capable of putting together a decent song. It is such a ridiculous waste of their talents – and, frankly, insulting to them – to have the only material to come out of the band be rehashed leftovers from 20-odd years ago, which they had nothing to do with writing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me those tracks belong as Slash and Duff tracks, the same way most of Slash's solo stuff belonged as Axl songs.

It's a shame we've had to wait our whole lives for them to co-operate again, and both of them went down fruitless searches to recreate the chemistry they already found.

To me if they remake these songs they just make them closer to what they always should have been (all be it - not quite the same as I think 1990s slash/duff would have done them).

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To me those tracks belong as Slash and Duff tracks, the same way most of Slash's solo stuff belonged as Axl songs.

Certain CD era tracks I would agree. On the more industrial stuff I don't care much for their take, for example I feel the Better intro they arranged makes the song sound more generic and doesn't really work, even if it's lifted from another part of the track. To me tracks like Shacklers and Soul Monster (if it did indeed evolve from Me And My Elvis) don't mesh with Slash and Duff's style at all. Hoping if they ever release SM someone like Evader can take Axl's vocals and put them on the Elvis instrumental to hear how the song was supposed to sound. Should be easy considering it's probably going to be the same vocal take he originally laid down on it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Considering how leaks seem to have spurred the band/Axl to action in the past, this is a really good time for CD2 or other material to drop.

A massive leak is the only thing that will give it even a snowballs chance in hell of a release.

We're not getting it any other way.....

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Tortilla_Man wrote:

It Sucks! 

And it's not that I don't believe Chin Dem is a masterpiece.

But the 2008 version is Not It.
The Village Sessions prove they had it done and ready to go.
and it should have been released in 2001-ish.

The older the demo is the better the songs sound ,
Even he 2006 Leaks are better than the album versions.
They fucked it with over production.
So many guitars all mashed togetha into a soft gooey mush.
Destroys all the dynamics.

The track listing is also fucked.
It all starts the sound the same,
and it's just all too serious, GnR always had songs that make ya laugh a bit like Used to Love Her, You Aint the First, etc
It needs to be mixed with some the half dozen unreleased songs from Village Demos tthat show the band taking chances instead of every song sounding the same. Give it more variety and grit,
and a little humor.
Mac Daddy (Eye On You) could have been something' lol
Perhaps or State of Grace, or the masterpiece that is "Going Down" ~

"What Could Have Been" : the story of Guns n Roses... bahahaha

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Yeah, there's not enough rockers on CD and it gets old listening to some dude complain about his issues song after song.

Board footer