You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Nirvana

James wrote:

In a surprising turn of events...I have rediscovered Nirvana.

I heard about the 30th anniversary In Utero coming out soon and I saw people talking about the 20th anniversary box set. Not only did it contain the original Albini mixes of Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies, Albini did a brand new mix(2013) of the entire album!

Off to YouTube I went...and I'm hooked. 9

It sounds amazing.

--

--

--

--

--

I also found out there's an amazing Nevermind 20th.

Remember back in the day when Cobain and various other people said the original rough mix of Nevermind stomped all over the final polished version that made the album?

They finally released it. It's called the Devonshire mix.

I'll be digesting that after I've had my fill of In Utero.

This will keep my ears occupied until The General gets a release. Perfect time to give em a listen. Never been a huge Nirvana fan. Out of the big Seattle bands, I thought they were the worst.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Nirvana was my favorite band before Guns. My view on classic GNR isn’t Cobain level but it’s in the ballpark which explains why I’m more of a New GNR guy.

I haven’t listened to them in years. I did sort through the In Utero box set and think I have the Nevermind remaster from a year or so back but I just can’t dive into that energy at this stage of my life, it’s soaked in death and negativity.

Nevermind is a masterpiece but In Utero is just as good. Live and Loud is phenomenal.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I liked nirvana growing up because it was simple and raw.

I could plug my guitar into a boss-DS1 stomp box or some shit, and relate to the mood of something like Teen Spirit or Breed while playing along.

I never liked how Cobain liked to paint himself as the anti-corporate guy while fronting a corporate band flogging their tshirts and videos to the masses.

I disliked how Cobain implied that GNR were studio manufactured when Axl is 10 times the musician both vocally and on keys, and Slash is lightyears ahead of him on guitar. It's absurdist really, like Slash could learn heart-shaped-box in 5 minutes whereas I'd love to see Kurt solo the end of Tokyo DTJ. Yet he's trashing him in the media and saying that they are not real musicians? Why?

I tired to get back into them a couple of years back, but like Wagszilla said the negativity was too much. Maybe i'm old, or maybe it's just dated badly. Maybe it's since Kurt died and we didn't (thankfully). The whole cool cos you want to die at 27 thing is lame as fuck in my 40s. I dunno it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth these days. Hell it's hard to listen to kids tell me what they think about the world with all these bands hahaha.

I have a similar issue with AIC being depressing but they can still bring me into it with the bad ass bass and guitar sound more than nirvana can anymore.

That said, when they are good they are good. Dave's drumming was awesome. Kurt was great on some moments - I always liked his ledbelly cover on MTV unplugged.

Board footer