You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: NFL 2023/24 season

mitchejw wrote:

You mean they guys that were literally hired 18 months ago? Do you know how many coaches and managers they've been through in the last 10 years?

The bears are fundamentally broken. Shuffling the chairs around on the deck of the titanic isn't going to do anything. It's embarrassing that they are so focused on their new stadium so publicly...when they put this putrid shit on the field. The political fighting that's going on over their stadium is all they talked about all summer....then this? Like...no one is engaged in anything anymore.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's unfortunate that all the iconic coaches are either too old or dead.

Someone like a Parcells or Walsh might be able to come in, clean house, and turn things around.

Too bad Ditka isn't at least 10-15 years younger...him coming back in the final chapter of his life would've been a great story.

Offer Belichick a blank check in the coming years before he's too old?!?

There aren't many options.

I also agree that the stadium stuff is just a huge distraction...and a waste of money. It shouldn't be allowed. Soldier Field is one of the last standing iconic stadiums. It's the last thing that links the Bears to their past. If you let them move there, just let them leave the state and change their name.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

This is going to be a long post about the Bears.  But if this current staff "manages" to lead them to the worst record in the NFL for the second straight year, they can't be brought back at all.  Pro teams sell hope and you aint selling shit if you are bringing those guys back to ruin their new NFL QB.  Look it may not be Fields fault but he's going to be gone unless he shows major improvement in the next 14 games.

The bigger problem with the Bears ownership is simple: they just haven't picked the right GM's and coaches in the past 10-15 years or so.  They can be as half assed owners as they want as long as the team keeps on winning.  They haven't won because the guys picking the groceries/and cooking them have sucked.  They passed on Mahomes in 2017 for Mitch Trubisky.  That aint on ownership.  I have no idea whether or not the new GM has an idea what he's doing (I'm leery given some of the bad moves he's already made).  But if he doesn't it'd be best if they hired an established GM who has won before, just to steady the ship and run it like an NFL team.

As far as the coach goes, hire an offensive guy, preferribly from the SF and Rams tree since it's a high success rate.  No more defensive HC who like to lean on the run and play tough defense (aka meatheads).  For better or worse, it's video game football and you have to score points at this point and have a guy who can design an offense/scheme and offensive playmakers.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I get what you’re saying but look at every single person they’ve hired to coach for a decade…they’ve hired cheap coaches who’ve never done the jobs they’re hired to do. They have no experience…

I’m cynical but i believe they do this because these people are cheap AND they are so far behind that they don’t think coaching matters in 2023…

Astonishing that anyone could make sense of hiring the people that they did and gave no care or thought to what would become of one of the youngest teams in the nfl…don’t they see that without the coaches the hundreds of millions they spend on the players is totally wasted?

James

James wrote:

The bigger problem with the Bears ownership is simple: they just haven't picked the right GM's and coaches in the past 10-15 years or so

This is the main reason I compare them to the Lions 1990s-00s. It's just horrifically run from the top down...and various changes don't change anything.

They passed on Mahomes in 2017 for Mitch Trubisky

Holy fuck...I forgot about that. Wow. I actually can't stand Mahomes but there's no denying he's one of the best in today's NFL.

No more defensive HC who like to lean on the run and play tough defense

Yeah....this doesn't work anymore. The 2020s and beyond NFL is not designed for this. I realize it's considered classic Bears football but the only place they're going with it is the cellar of the division.

Now was the time to move up a notch...the post Rodgers Packers era is underway. Instead they're 0-3 and about to be 0-4. In other words, the season is over unless they go on some massive winning streak (unlikely).

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I get what you’re saying but look at every single person they’ve hired to coach for a decade…they’ve hired cheap coaches who’ve never done the jobs they’re hired to do. They have no experience…

I’m cynical but i believe they do this because these people are cheap AND they are so far behind that they don’t think coaching matters in 2023…

Astonishing that anyone could make sense of hiring the people that they did and gave no care or thought to what would become of one of the youngest teams in the nfl…don’t they see that without the coaches the hundreds of millions they spend on the players is totally wasted?

Cheapness and inexpirence at HC isn't the Bears' problem.  Look at all these other non experienced HC that got hired on other teams.  GB coach:  no previous HC experience, only was an OC at the Rams and TEN,   Rams coach:  no HC experience.  Bengals guy:  no HC experience.  the MIA HC whose team just put 70 pts on the Broncos, again first time coach.

They've just consistently hired the wrong people.  I even looked at the previous candidates from the 2022 coaching search.  Majority were DC guys, some of them failed retreads.  The only offensive guys were the Bills OC (ended up getting the NYG job) and Doug Pederson.  And they weren't hiring Doug Pederson.

On the GM stuff/inexperience stuff you may have more of a point.  They chose to overpay LB on day one of free agency and chose to sign a OG with questionable practice habits and shitty pass blocking skills, traded for Claypool and he's disappointed.  Those are bad moves/losses to me.

The Bears need to just improve whatever fucking criteria or processes that go into hiring these guys.  At some point, they might be better off tossing a dart at a random board of names.  You can be cheap as an owner and succeed in the NFL.  The Bears are cheap and dumb.  That aint gonna work.  Either the owners gotta step up and start giving a shit about who they hire or just live with this cycle of crappy Bears football.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

James I love you but Fields is hot garbage. Scramble first QB with no vision.

He'll occasionally make some highlight reel play but when the time comes for him to hit the easy throws, he'll fold like a deck of cards.

Chicago and Detroit are the same franchise - inept ownership and fans who live off of the hate for their rivals.

Old school teams like that have no chance in the modern NFL. Best bet is to nuke the franchise, dome their horrible field, and start over.

James

James wrote:

Hes got the potential to be another Cunningham...on the right team.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Cheapness and inexpirence at HC isn't the Bears' problem.  Look at all these other non experienced HC that got hired on other teams.  GB coach:  no previous HC experience, only was an OC at the Rams and TEN,   Rams coach:  no HC experience.  Bengals guy:  no HC experience.  the MIA HC whose team just put 70 pts on the Broncos, again first time coach.

They've just consistently hired the wrong people.  I even looked at the previous candidates from the 2022 coaching search.  Majority were DC guys, some of them failed retreads.  The only offensive guys were the Bills OC (ended up getting the NYG job) and Doug Pederson.  And they weren't hiring Doug Pederson.

On the GM stuff/inexperience stuff you may have more of a point.  They chose to overpay LB on day one of free agency and chose to sign a OG with questionable practice habits and shitty pass blocking skills, traded for Claypool and he's disappointed.  Those are bad moves/losses to me.

The Bears need to just improve whatever fucking criteria or processes that go into hiring these guys.  At some point, they might be better off tossing a dart at a random board of names.  You can be cheap as an owner and succeed in the NFL.  The Bears are cheap and dumb.  That aint gonna work.  Either the owners gotta step up and start giving a shit about who they hire or just live with this cycle of crappy Bears football.

I think hiring inexperienced coaches might work out in some places…but the bears don’t even have the basic infrastructure in place anymore.

I think hiring a defensive minded head coach who has never done it before AND expect a young QB to develop is straight up Jack assery.

James

James wrote:

Not much football discussion this season.

On Monday I watched the first Bears game in about 4-6 weeks. They won...but that was an ugly game. I didn't realize the Bears get the #1 and #4 picks in the draft. They better not waste those.

Like all seasons in the parity era, it's topsy turvy in comparison to the previous season. Some teams that were good now suck...and vice versa.

There's a Barry Sanders documentary on Amazon that looks really good. Gonna have to watch it soon. Always felt sorry for him. One of the greatest players in history yet had to waste his career in Detroit.

Board footer