You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: What Steven brought to GNR

ClaudeF wrote:

This is supposed to be the most dangerous band in the world.

If they talk shit about each other some of the time … what friends and families don’t?

Steven offers a unique feel and it is his skull likeness included on the logo.

They owe it to the fans and Steven himself to give him more chances to be in the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

This is supposed to be the most dangerous band in the world.

If they talk shit about each other some of the time … what friends and families don’t?

Steven offers a unique feel and it is his skull likeness included on the logo.

They owe it to the fans and Steven himself to give him more chances to be in the band.

Hopefully they'll let him appear on one song if doing a new album. He could do it without even interacting with him.

It hasn't been the most dangerous band in the world since the UYI tour. Notice they don't market themselves as that now but really thrived on it then.

Yeah he's on the AFD cross but notice that's not the main logo/selling point.

It revolves around...

gunsnroses_alldates_noabudhabi_1080x10801676949109.jpg

And stuff like...

2021-09-21%20St%20Paul.jpg

Some of the lithographs are cool even though it's just a generic skull/skeleton template inserted into a city theme. Did a few with the AFD robot which should've always been a mascot.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

They could really drop Duff from everything and have two skeletons on the lithos. Axl and Slash is EVERYTHING.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

They could really drop Duff from everything and have two skeletons on the lithos. Axl and Slash is EVERYTHING.

I'll pull a Bill Clinton...I agree and disagree.

Duff stayed high profile in the post- GNR world. Velvet Revolver, solo stuff, his book, and  his "brand" as a financial guru. Is close with various celebs/musicians. He's kinda like a second rate Dave Grohl. Everyone knows him..even if you don't know him. His distinct bass tone also helps.

While Axl and Slash could've done a reunion with a different cast of characters, Duff was needed to help sell it.

That's the cut off point though. Izzy, Adler, Sorum, Gilby not needed at all. The first two only needed for a specific reunion. Other than that, no one cares...and casual crowds probably think it is the original band onstage.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I sort of agree but I sort of don't lol.

Like Slash and Axl would be GNR whoever else in on board.

I like Duff, and Duff is a key part of the real GNR sound in terms of what makes the music the music.

But to the public, if the 2016 reunion was Matt and Slash rejoining Axl, rather than Slash and Duff, I dunno if the public would really care.

It's weird cos Duff helps for sure. But then like VR was GNR cos it was Duff, Slash and Matt...turns out it's still a GNR reunion with only Slash and Duff meeting Axl..and I suspect down deep you put Axl and Slash together and it's still GNR.

Sky Dog wrote:

Duff isn’t going anywhere so it’s a moot point!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

As I've said elsewhere, bands normally have two iconic members who have to be there for the casual audience and wider public to accept them as legitimate. Normally that's the singer and lead guitarist. You can get away with subbing out the bass player and drummer in most cases (exceptions include RHCP and The Smashing Pumpkins, where the bassist and drummer are arguably more iconic than the lead guitarist).

So Oasis can cheerfully change every single band member apart from Liam and Noel, but the instant Noel split, Liam had to rename the band Beady Eye – even though it was the exact same band! Axl subs in Slash and Duff for the lead guitar and bass slots in pretty much the same line-up he'd been touring since 2006, and it's suddenly "real" GN'R (and I'd argue he could've got away with just Slash). Queen gets enormous stick for touring with Adam Lambert, but if Roger Taylor had dropped dead in 1991 and Brian and Freddie had carried on as Queen, no-one would've batted an eyelid.

James

James wrote:

Yeah...and then there's the crazy example of Pink Floyd where the bass player, singer, and songwriter leaves and the band moves forward selling out stadiums left and right while the guy who left couldn't even sell out clubs.

Maybe Liam should've kept Oasis going... although the brother thing probably made that a deal breaker.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

Yeah...and then there's the crazy example of Pink Floyd where the bass player, singer, and songwriter leaves and the band moves forward selling out stadiums left and right while the guy who left couldn't even sell out clubs.

Maybe Liam should've kept Oasis going... although the brother thing probably made that a deal breaker.

The real interesting thing is gonna happen when some of those aging rock bands who are absolutely financially ruthless run up against the issue of mortality.

For example the Rolling Stones have powered through the departures and deaths of the bassist, second guitarists and the drummer, but at some point Keef will shuffle off this mortal coil. And at that point, Mick's head for business runs headlong into the opinions of the general public – the irresistible force of Mick asserting that "I can replace anyone and it's still the Rolling Stones" collides with the immovable object of the public going, "fuck you, you need both Mick and Keef there."

Basically the same thing that happened with Axl in the 90s.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Waters also refused to bill himself as founding member of Pink Floyd, etc. in a time where cult of personality was far less ubiquitous than it was today. And like Axl, he went against the corporate machine to do his own thing and that will never work out for you.

Board footer