You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: What Steven brought to GNR

ClaudeF wrote:

In a thread about AC/DC trying to find a new drummer for their PowerTrip show, somebody said this about Phil. The same could be true of Steven:

“ Rudd is so awesome because he swings. That's why Back in Black album, for instance, gets the ladies dancing. None of the replacement drummers have that quality. It't not about power.”

Matt’s work on UYI was great but the band’s ultimate legacy still rests on Appetite and the groove that Steven created.

Since we’re all expecting/worrying/accepting that the end may be near for GNR if they sabotage the release of “The General” by making it vinyl-only (let’s hope the “Atlas” rumors are true) I find myself contemplating that GNR may become a thing of the past.

I am certain they would launch a successful farewell tour that ultimately is no different than the current gravy train tour. But my expectations are diminishing to not hoping for more beyond that. I’m left sifting through what they actually accomplished, what they may have in the archives, and the reality that they may never write another new song.

I hope Steven has found some peace and knows how much his work is appreciated.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think we will still have some good moments whatever happens with the general, but realistically these guys are in the tail end of their musical careers...most bands in their 60s don't achieve what they did in their 20s.

However I think we will still see moments of greatness, and who knows, the reason they got to where they are is they are exceptional people, so maybe somehow against the odds they still do something mind-blowing even against the odds. I would never bet against Axl Rose or Slash - they are not 'off the shelf" people.

At the same time though I think we have to be realistic that these guys have done several lifetimes worth of musical heavy lifting already and are basically grandparent age. They can still go, but it's not 1995 anymore either.

I too feel bad for the guys like Steven who didn't make it the whole way. TBH I would like it if Steven and Matt and Gilby got to do their thing with the group from time to time. But money is money and sadly GNR has never been a band of kind hearted folks.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

We're definitely entering the final chapter... although that chapter could last for years.

While the chances of an AFD 5 reunion are slim to none, it definitely can't be ruled out with the finish line in sight. A tour? Absolutely not. A residency in Vegas or NY? Feasible.

That would be saved for the very end because once the classic lineup gets wheeled out, there's no going back.

Adler better get in shape and get on a maintenance dose just in case.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Steven gave the songs their life. A swing for the sex appeal but high energy, fast paced, and bouncy.

It was starting things off right and giving Izzy something to play against.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Steven also smiled and looked like he was having the time of his life when he played.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Steven gave the songs their life. A swing for the sex appeal but high energy, fast paced, and bouncy.

It was starting things off right and giving Izzy something to play against.

Scabbie wrote:

Steven also smiled and looked like he was having the time of his life when he played.

100% agree with both of these.

James

James wrote:

I remember that interview he did where he talks about the band shitting on him during his last show with them.

He was on the side of stage listening and a song started. He asked which song is that?

Mr. Brownstone

Adler: That's Brownstone?!?

You gotta give credit where it's due. He might be a total fuck up but he does know how to properly play those songs.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

James wrote:

I remember that interview he did where he talks about the band shitting on him during his last show with them.

He was on the side of stage listening and a song started. He asked which song is that?

Mr. Brownstone

You gotta give credit where it's due. He might be a total fuck up but he does know how to properly play those songs.

He does, but he also knows how to work himself out further chances by saying things like that publicly and not being diplomatic. If he boxed smarter like Slash and Duff he still may not be involved on the level they are but he would be a hell of a lot more involved than he currently is.

I can respect him being honest by saying things like that, but when you know all he really wants in life is to be involved, then why shoot yourself in the foot and give them reasons to not reach out?

Whoever his current singer is btw is fucking amazing, forget AI axl covers just hire that guy

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Adler is free flowing without a filter. Wherever his impulse takes him he goes.

He brought that to his drumming and that's why you can't replace him. As much as I like Matt Sorum you could probably find a hundred guys who can do the same thing as him. Adler is unique.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:

Mr. Brownstone

He does, but he also knows how to work himself out further chances by saying things like that publicly and not being diplomatic. If he boxed smarter like Slash and Duff he still may not be involved on the level they are but he would be a hell of a lot more involved than he currently is.

I can respect him being honest by saying things like that, but when you know all he really wants in life is to be involved, then why shoot yourself in the foot and give them reasons to not reach out?

Whoever his current singer is btw is fucking amazing, forget AI axl covers just hire that guy

I think he burnt his bridges with that interview because he knew it was over. He was being fairly diplomatic before that incident.

Ace Frehley did something similar with KISS...will barely kiss ass until there's no longer a reason to.

Adler was in a bad spot from day one of this shindig...the most unique position of any ex-member...

Without another member (Izzy) also along for the ride...he becomes both a liability and unnecessary flotsam.

Yeah he gets some cheers when appearing for a song or two but he only really has value in an AFD 5 scenario...whether a full blown reunion, residency, or just a few songs.

Even with those burnt bridges, he still has some value. They cannot do that reunion without him.

Board footer