You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: What Steven brought to GNR

ClaudeF wrote:

When Bill left, apparently Mick, Charlie, and Sir Keef made a gentleman’s agreement that they were the core molecule of The Rolling Stones and if any of them left, they would retire the name.

Obviously that’s not happened and “Angry” is terrific, but they should reconsider after this rumored 2024 tour and end the band in honor of Charlie.

Remember when Roger advertised himself as “The Creative Genius of Pink Floyd”? I imagine the remains of Syd Barrett are still spinning in the grave …

rw-1300-x-480-f95d27d1c3.jpg

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Waters also refused to bill himself as founding member of Pink Floyd, etc. in a time where cult of personality was far less ubiquitous than it was today. And like Axl, he went against the corporate machine to do his own thing and that will never work out for you.

Axl is much closer to Gilmour than Waters IMO.

Band implodes... instead of just going solo wants the band name..fights for it...gets it...but doesn't have the ambition to follow through with it. Needed his wife and others to help write lyrics...and the band is just a big cast of players instead of the core group.

If the 80s-90s were like today where you don't need albums to tour, I guarantee Momentary Lapse and Division Bell don't even exist.

Remember when Roger advertised himself as “The Creative Genius of Pink Floyd”? I imagine the remains of Syd Barrett are still spinning in the grave …

He is the creative genius of Floyd. tongue

Syd Floyd has about 3 good songs and his lyrics were mediocre at best.

It's a frightening thought that if one guy doesn't go crazy, a handful of masterpieces don't exist.

The real interesting thing is gonna happen when some of those aging rock bands who are absolutely financially ruthless run up against the issue of mortality.

In today's world where everything is catered to casual audiences, I think many of them will just continue on.

Foreigner and Quiet Riot are already doing it. They're essentially tribute bands using the name.

Journey is almost guaranteed to do the same.

The Stones are probably too iconic to do it...

"I can replace anyone and it's still the Rolling Stones" collides with the immovable object of the public going, "fuck you, you need both Mick and Keef there."

He almost pulled an Axl in the mid 80s. Keith was smarter than Slash and refused to bail out. Keith also had Charlie on his side but he was incapacitated from drug use at the time.

Mick was literally going to have to physically take it from them... couldn't do it obviously...so they all walked away.

It destroyed their friendship. They haven't been friends since then. What the world sees during album/tour promo between the two is an act to keep up the Glimmer Twins facade.

Kinda sad when you think about it. I wish I had never even read about that years ago. I love the 89-90 Steel Wheels era and I remember how exciting that comeback was and how they were all supposedly lovey dovey and getting along. It kinda taints the whole thing.

But yeah...no Keith, no Stones.

Fuck...no Charlie no Stones but willing to support it because it's probably their swan song and Charlie supported it on his death bed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Steve’s drumming was definitely an important part of the GN’R magic. I think about Rocket Queen in particular. All 5 dudes were equally important on that song. Phenomenal stuff across the board.

Izzy said “nothing worked” after Steve was kicked out. You can definitely hear a loss of magic in their sound on the Illusion albums. Bunch of good songs, but the sound was not the real deal Guns N’ Roses.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Steve’s drumming was definitely an important part of the GN’R magic. I think about Rocket Queen in particular. All 5 dudes were equally important on that song. Phenomenal stuff across the board.

Izzy said “nothing worked” after Steve was kicked out. You can definitely hear a loss of magic in their sound on the Illusion albums. Bunch of good songs, but the sound was not the real deal Guns N’ Roses.

I never heard that Izzy comment before. It makes me wonder if that is a large part of why he quit. Also makes me wonder if he and Steven stay in touch.

Considering all the grief and drama that followed, he got out at the peak of GNR’s success. It’s like a stock market investor selling their shares at their all-time highest value!

Sky Dog wrote:

Steven couldn’t play those massive UYI songs! I am not a fan at all. Just because you sound pretty good on Rocket Queen and Browstone, doesn’t mean you would sound good on Coma.

He is a hack and a junkie which is why he never got picked up by any other quality bands.

Sorry for my opinion.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I never heard that Izzy comment before. It makes me wonder if that is a large part of why he quit. Also makes me wonder if he and Steven stay in touch.

Considering all the grief and drama that followed, he got out at the peak of GNR’s success. It’s like a stock market investor selling their shares at their all-time highest value!

The main reason he quit was because of Axl’s bullshit on tour, showing up late for gigs and causing riots. Izzy had also cleaned up from drugs, so he no longer wanted to be around the substance abuse of Slash or Duff. He was afraid it would cause a relapse for him. He made a very good choice to get out of the chaotic situation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I remember the comment..one of his only big interviews after leaving.

I also find the comment disingenuous...as I remember him saying in the summer of 91 that GNR were the best band in the world and they knew it.

He was right.

The story back in the day regarding his absence was he wanted to stay clean.

Considering the fact he sounds wasted during some of those shows, I have doubts.

His departure likely due to the fact he was in the process of being demoted in his own band. It was either leave or be put on salary and have zero say.

What a sad day that was. I still remember the MTV News segment announcing it.

He is a hack and a junkie which is why he never got picked up by any other quality bands.

While I wouldn't necessarily call him a hack, it's a valid point.

87-88 was just lightning in a bottle. Right place, right time, a perfect lineup with the perfect songs to cause an explosion.

Take him out of it, it doesn't happen the same way. He fit in perfectly.

Other than AC/DC supposedly wanting him briefly in the Razors Edge era, you're right...not a single band ever wanted the guy.

He was unlucky and became a non-functioning drug addict.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's amazing that Steven is still alive. I remember reading his book, thinking even Keith Richards would take a bow to his excess. One of the funniest stories I've read from a rock band is when he tried to land a record deal, claiming he was completely clean and sober, and just as the suits are meeting him, one of his dealers drives up to give him heroin.

That being said, the way Axl, Slash and Duff treated him was completely shameless. It's fine that they're only giving him a couple of shows, but at least pay the man! They're out there raking in millions every night and still they can't find the heart to throw their old band mate a bone. That kind of cynicism is staggering to me.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

It's amazing that Steven is still alive. I remember reading his book, thinking even Keith Richards would take a bow to his excess. One of the funniest stories I've read from a rock band is when he tried to land a record deal, claiming he was completely clean and sober, and just as the suits are meeting him, one of his dealers drives up to give him heroin.

That being said, the way Axl, Slash and Duff treated him was completely shameless. It's fine that they're only giving him a couple of shows, but at least pay the man! They're out there raking in millions every night and still they can't find the heart to throw their old band mate a bone. That kind of cynicism is staggering to me.

To be fair, he was given a ton of songwriting credit on Appetite For Destruction. He has been paid a huge amount of money from that. Axl infamously threw a fit about this. "He didn't write anything, why is he getting 20% of the royalties??"

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They only bought his plane ticket. If they're paying fucking Melissa Reese to be an anime Teddy Zig Zag, then surely they can pay an original member for coming down and doing a job for them. If they're bitter about shit then don't call him up in the first place. Since when did they all become Hetty Green?

Board footer