You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Rank the Post CD Songs

Neemo wrote:

So Absurd, Hard Skool, Monsters, Perhaps, The General

How are people ranking the new material released in the past couple years?

Give us your list 1-5

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:
  1. Monsters

2. Hard School (Village)

3. Perhaps (Village)

4. Absurd

5. The General

6. Perhaps

7. Hard Skool

8. Silkworms

They ruined Hard School, diminished Perhaps, and dramatically improved Silkworms.

There's a lot to like about The General but it's too cluttered, too many direction changes.

I'll get shit for ranking Absurd so highly but it sounds like if Axl, Slash, and Duff recorded Axl's ideas in 1997 or whatever. It's got the classic dirty Gn'R vibe to it with some newer elements. I really like how it turned out.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

What Silkworms version are we talking about?

1. Hard School (Slash)
2. The General
3. Perhaps (Slash)
    Absurd
4. Monsters

If they combined the General with Monsters I think that will be the best song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I kind of alternate between Hard Skool & Perhaps at the top. I’d say right now it’s probably Perhaps for me but that might be recency bias and the fact they treated it more like a traditional single release with a music video, etc.

1. Perhaps
2. Hard Skool
3. Monsters
4. Absurd
5. The General

I never thought I’d put Absurd above any other GNR song, outside of maybe My World, but The General just isn’t hitting me yet.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

DIS.A.GREE.

Silkworms was ruined as 'Absurd'. But then again, I loved My World as a teenager, too.

Hard School / Hard Skool tie for me for best. I like the effect on Axl's vocals on the final Hard Skool release.
He could have sang the fuck out of that live in 2006.

Sky Dog wrote:

1. Monsters
2. Perhaps
3. The General
4. Hard Skool
5. Absurd

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Monsters
Perhaps
The General
Hard School
Absurd

The General is only 3rd by default. I don't even listen to those last two and haven't since they leaked. Just not my cup of tea.

The General is a mess.

Raven5790
 Rep: 0 

Raven5790 wrote:

Hard Skool
Perhaps
Monsters (Best Slash work btw)
The General
Absurd

If we can took the best of the two Hard Skools, village and new, it could be one of the best GN'R songs.. Monsters is a hell of a mess in the mix, could be better with some improves on the vocals, the intrumental is the best Slash/Duff work currently..

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I just listened to The General in a more proper setting and cranked it up instead of on my phone in bed at 1am trying not to wake up my wife. Sounds much better now. I was actually right in the process of opening the windows to let some of this unseasonably warm air in the house as I was blaring it and two Jehovah Witnesses were walking up to rign the doorbell. Figured the loud music and lyrical content might have scared them away, but no such luck.

Phrozeninfuego
 Rep: 1 

1. The general (because of it's genius complexity)
2. Monsters (sweet melody)
3.  Hard skool (they ruined the demo but that's ok)
4. Absurd (I prefer the demo)
5. Perhaps (I'm surprised they released this song, I don't like it much but it wasnt bad when I saw it played live in person, the youtube videos give it no justice)

Board footer