You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) reacting to the General

dave-gnfnr wrote:
harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

This is a great series in a crowded field. He covers other artists that I enjoy as well. Always has some pretty cool insights or perspectives in his interpretations of his subject matter. He is kind of a GN'R mark though. He always has very positive things to say about them. I might be a little biased though, I love the Darkness. Even their reuinion stuff is pretty solid compared to some of the gold nuggets on Permission to Land.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I made it 8 minutes in.

He takes too long to get to the point... reading YouTube comments, picking up his guitar... randomness....I'm tired of these YouTube channels doing this. It's been very noticeable the past year or two. They do it because they only get money if the viewer watches a certain amount of time. A host/channel loses me when I spot the pattern.

Thanks for posting it though...I had to Google him because I forgot who in the hell Justin Hawkins is. Couldn't remember if he was a singer, guitarist, drummer....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If only we could have a Michael Jackson reaction to the song.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:

I made it 8 minutes in.

He takes too long to get to the point... reading YouTube comments, picking up his guitar... randomness....I'm tired of these YouTube channels doing this. It's been very noticeable the past year or two. They do it because they only get money if the viewer watches a certain amount of time. A host/channel loses me when I spot the pattern.

Thanks for posting it though...I had to Google him because I forgot who in the hell Justin Hawkins is. Couldn't remember if he was a singer, guitarist, drummer....

I think he does that so he can claim its fair use and not get a copyright strike.  The more time in the video vs how long the song is I think matters more.  But I agree that it does get annoying if they keep stopping too much.  Like that women he did that SCOM video, I like her vidoes but she stops and backs up the video repeating the same parts over and over agan a little too much for my taste.

As for not remembering who he is, that is why the put The Darkness in there too lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've watched a few of his reviews of songs - sometimes he has some musical insights with his guitar like he will go over key changes or parts that are hard to sing or something. Didn't really cover much with it here I admit but it's sorta his process. I like that he reviews stuff from a positive angle in general (whole internet is largely negative), and also with a performers take on things.

I think he was obviously being diplomatic here though due to being a fan and/or knowing the band. For example, putting Axl's vocal issues down to running around/lack of confidence in the way the song was landing - which while maybe factors do not really account for the fact his modern voice almost always exhibits these symptoms. I also noticed he was clearly itching for the song to break into more - like maybe a huge epic outro or a big fuck-off guitar solo and it just doesn't come yet didn't really complain about the abrupt ending, other than mentioning he prefers the AFD to CD era musically.

Darkness is a "sometimes food" band for me, I love some of their stuff but it can be a little much at times  for my tastes too. Saw them live in his drug era and i must say was a hell of a good show despite the mess of his lifestyle at the time. Anyways he aways comes off as a good guy in these videos and I find him quite insightful usually, I wish he had talked more about this song musically this time and less about the specific peformance.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think the song is great and then last 45 seconds stink.

Why wouldn’t Slash take the wheel and say we need a better outro? Duff?

It’s just being lazy.

I am sending them to my brother and his comments were good songs but “inconsistent” in parts….all the Chinese songs have some form of a flaw.

Guns best songs back in the day didn’t have any obvious flaws.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I think the song is great and then last 45 seconds stink.

Why wouldn’t Slash take the wheel and say we need a better outro? Duff?

It’s just being lazy

I think it's them being non-confrontational mixed with not wanting to spend time/money retooling. And a bit of "old man has already proved himself" about them.

The band broke up trying to write music in the past, Axl has worked on this song for almost 3 decades, if he gives you what he's done and it's too short - what do they do about the drums - get rid of the brain part and have frank make it longer or what. How will Axl respond to these ideas. It's easier to just cut the song where it cuts even if that doesn't give you time to solo.

It's frustrating to me though, as the ending is warming up for epicness, like Axl going into that passionate scream, slash building some speed on the outro shred, them starting to interact melodically, then it just stops dead...it badly needs another 45 seconds or something to me. Give it a locomotive or breakdown outro.

You go back to early GNR and Slash was clearly hungry to prove himself. The way he added the big fuck off solo to SCOM even when it's a ballad. The way tracks like NR and Estranged and Coma are just dripping with awesome guitar, even smaller deep cuts like The Garden and he's putting monster licks in them - setting himself up as one of the rock legends. Same with his early guest stuff too - like on "Fields of Joy" by Lenny Kravitz - he's not fucking around.

But I feel his recent solos don't seem like he has as much to prove to us all, I guess he already conquored enough. Now and then you get a Wicked Stone or an Anastasia where he seems to bring his A game, but a lot of his appearances he just plays whatever. As he is slash his whatever is still good - but I don't sense the hunger he used to have.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash and Duff have significantly changed every song they’ve re-recorded. I’ll guarantee they did the same with General.

Board footer