You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: McCain picks Sarah Palin for Vice President

James wrote:

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain has decided on his running mate and will inform the person Thursday night, sources close to the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said.

A Republican source said the matter was settled at a meeting of McCain's advisers Wednesday.

Plans are in place for the senator from Arizona to reveal his pick for the GOP vice presidential nominee at an Ohio rally Friday, the day after Sen. Barack Obama formally accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

The McCain campaign is hoping to have 15,000 people at the Ohio event, roughly five times the size of his largest crowd to date.

In an interview with a Pennsylvania radio station that was taped Wednesday and aired Thursday, McCain said he had not settled on a nominee. The Associated Press reported that the interview with KDKA radio had occurred Thursday, which created confusion as to whether McCain had finalized his choice for vice president.

Asked whether either former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney was his VP pick, McCain replied to KDKA, "I haven't decided yet, so I can't tell you."

Both men are expected to join McCain at a rally Saturday in Pennsylvania.

Ridge, who is also the former secretary of homeland security, is reportedly on McCain's short list of possible running mates.

A Republican insider said this month that McCain campaign manager Rick Davis has called several state party chairmen and indicated that Ridge will be the Republican vice presidential pick this cycle.

During his interview with KDKA, McCain praised Ridge, saying, "he's a great American and a great and dear friend, and I rely on him, and I have for many years."

But the possibility that Ridge could be McCain's running mate sparked a backlash among conservatives because he supports abortion rights.

Another potential VP pick, Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, also raised concerns among conservatives. Lieberman, an independent senator who was the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, has been a vocal supporter of the war in Iraq, but he, too, backs abortion rights.

If McCain picks either man, it could drive away social conservatives who are already uneasy about his nomination, conservative activists warned.

In an open letter to McCain, conservative activist Richard A. Viguerie wrote, "Your indication that you're willing to put a person who has a clear, unequivocal pro-abortion record within a heartbeat of the presidency is alarming."

"Sen. McCain, you are exceedingly proud of being a political maverick -- you wear it as a badge of honor. Well, poke the base of the Republican Party -- the conservatives -- in the eye one more time by choosing a pro-abortion vice presidential candidate, and conservatives will show you that two can play the maverick game," Viguerie said

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty is also believed to be on McCain's short list, as is Romney, who ran against McCain this year for the GOP presidential nomination and was a frequent critic of the senator on the campaign trail

But Romney endorsed McCain after he captured the Republican nomination and has campaigned for him. He also opposes abortion rights, a position he said he came to in 2004 after studying the stem cell-issue as Massachusetts governor. Before then, Romney was in favor of abortion rights.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting reports are Sarah Palin is the choice.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

And it's now official.  James good forsight on this one, you've been saying this for a while.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

To be fully honest, i think it's more of a ploy to gain votes.  The VP doesn't do a hell of a lot anyway.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Considering many in the GOP probably still harbor the belief women shouldn't vote, he might turn off as many conservative Republicans as he gains popular votes.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Considering many in the GOP probably still harbor the belief women shouldn't vote, he might turn off as many conservative Republicans as he gains popular votes.

That's definently true as well.  It's a gamble for him, and i think he's putting too much faith in his own party.

I don't know much about this lady, what is her track record?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
bigbri wrote:

And what are those type of conservatives going to do then? Vote for a black guy?

They might choose not to vote, but I doubt that's the majority. People with such strong opinions are more prone to voting than the regular guy imo.

With Obama as the opponent I think this was a good move on McCains part. Cynical and devious. Very much the GOP we know.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

It's said VP's don't necesarily 'win' elections however they can lose them. It's early to tell, however it's definitely a risk. I give him credit for being a maverick & doing what he wants. But there's alot of drawbacks to her as well. While a woman, she doesn't agree with hardly ANY of Hilary's viewpoints, she's pro big-oil (who's funding McCain's campaign??), she's involved in a scandal, and she has been governor for less than 2 years. Prior to that she was mayor of a town of 5,000 people.

I'm also willing to bet Hilary is probably FUMING over this too. She likely will not want this woman to become VP & will now step up her support for Obama and getting her supporters to swing for Obama. John McCain just woke up a sleeping dragon. Come November it's possible only Ross Perot's choice of Admiral Stockdale rivals this for stupidity.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

She is also pro-life, member of the NRA, smoked marijuana (when it was legal, opposes it now), against gay marriage but "pro gay", responsible for the largest budget in Alaska history = supports big government, supports the death penalty and she's a...creationist and thinks it should be discussed in schools.

On the other hand she's pretty, young and got a approval rating in the 90s. That's what people will see and that's what they'll sell.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

We'll have to wait & see, but I can't see her helping in Ohio, Michigan, or Florida. Flordians do not want off-shore drilling because tourism is about 70% of their economy, and if Exxon Valdez II occurs Florida as a state will cease to exist. She does nothing I repeat NOTHING regarding McCain's lack of knowledge on the economy. Also, I'm hearing her husband works for BP Oil??  Is this serious?! 

Jeez, I think it's the start of a decline of McCains chances and a obvious ploy to think he can wooo Hilary supporters. Congratulations for thinking that one woman is as good as the next. Sarah Palin, McCain's second trophy wife.

Board footer