You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Cover songs

Like it or not, most bands play covers live or record them at some point. GnR has an entire covers album and of course did a few covers on UYI and Lies. Is there any band that stands out to you as a particularly good band when it comes to cover songs? And what does a band's ability to perform songs they didn't write say to you?

I've been listening a lot to Faith No More's versions of Easy, War Pigs, and I Started a Joke. They're all done extremely well imo, and the way Patton's voice sounds different on every track to fit it is impressive too. Instead of making the song theirs, they made themselves into the bands they were covering, which is very much not what Guns did with their covers. Of course, each way of doing covers has its own advantage. FNM did I Started a Joke and Easy very well live too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Elvis was the best cover tune man. Almost all of his covers, whether studio or live, surpassed the originals in my eyes.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Jane's Addiction "Sympathy for the Devil" (Done years before GnR), hard to find, but a great song. As was their cover of Lou Reeds "Rock and Roll", I'm not sure what other covers they did. I think they had one or two others. Both Elvis & Willie Nelson do "You were always on my mind" very well, and Willie does "Georgia" very well. I think that was originally Ray Charles. I know Willie has some other covers. (City of New Orleans, Take it to the Limit, To all the Girls I've loved before)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

U2's version of Helter Skelter owns all other covers. The version that isn't on Rattle and Hum is even better.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Type O Negative - Cinnamon Girl
Ozzy/Coal Chamber - Shock The Monkey
Orgy - Blue Monday
Disturbed - Land of Confusion
The Tea Party - Paint It Black
Metallica - Turn The Page
Pantera - Planet Caravan

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Simple Man- Shinedown
Break on Through- STP

And a lot of Richard Cheese.  16

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

social distortion - ring of fire
metallica - whiskey in the jar

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

White Zombie's Children of the Grave owns.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Rob Zombie does extremely good covers. I hope he puts out a covers album

Board footer