You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Epiphany

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

This actually makes me respect Axl even more for not giving in to what outsiders want. He'd make tons of cash on a nostalgia tour, like Motey Crue and Poison do, but he's doing his own thing, not giving a shit what anyone thinks

Are you serious?

GN'R isn't far off from being a nostalgia act, even with the rotating cast of members. Rather than going forward and releasing new music and playing new music, Axl is still relying on the past, and there's less and less CD songs in the set as the tour goes on.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yep, I'm serious.

1) I don't see a problem with the setlist. I just don't. That's me hmm

2) I said this...

If he would do a tour right, which there is no indication that he will, a US tour could be successful. Not arenas, not theaters. 2006 scale is perfect "IF" they did it right... But, of course, they're no longer touring an unreleased album, but touring an album 2 years AFTER it was released.

I think the 2006 tour could have been much more successful than it was IF the album was out and IF he worked both better... And, I really don't consider it the disaster some people do. He got killed in small markets, while others were better. There could have been a lot done to fix that, but he obvisouly didn't want to do that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

1) I don't see a problem with the setlist. I just don't. That's me hmm

I don't really think it's a big issue anymore either but only because I've adjusted my expectations on what GNR is now.

The set list also caters to VERY casual audiences that really only care to hear Jungle, SCOM,etc. and couldn't name the band members with a gun pointed to their heads.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I get what you're saying Russ, but I think that size of a tour would have been better served with a better opener (don't see him doing anything different now) better marketing promotion, including more local radio interviews, which he's actually really, really good at (but don't see that changing either) and at least attempt to try and push his own record.

I'm sure Jimmy Fallon, Conan, SNL and the like would give him a slot to perform... But again, he won't do it.

James, I don't think there was ever any plan to play more new songs than what they do now.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

This has become hilarious. Keep it coming.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

personally i feel that Gnr would still sell out a theatre tour...if only just, but i think that the label/promoter ahve a hand in venue selection and they will take a couple hundred extra seat sales in an arena as extra revenue instead of the prestige of selling out a theatre tour...why sell 4-5 thousand in a full theatre if you can sell 7-8 thousand in a half empty arena?

fiigure $100 a ticket times 2g's and thats $200,000...hell why not right?

as far as setlists...axls gonna make a setlist based on what he feels most comfortable with...hes a sensitive guy, he prolly doesnt like it when the crowd is quieter during the new material so he has stopped playing most of it...also remmeber when he did the online chats and he wanted to talk about catcher and noone stepped up with that? guess what song they've play least from the album (aside from riad)...biggest pops from the crowd are for the classics, so thats what they're gonna play mostly...at least thats what i think...maybe i'm wrong

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

This actually makes me respect Axl even more for not giving in to what outsiders want. He'd make tons of cash on a nostalgia tour, like Motey Crue and Poison do, but he's doing his own thing, not giving a shit what anyone thinks

Are you serious?

GN'R isn't far off from being a nostalgia act, even with the rotating cast of members. Rather than going forward and releasing new music and playing new music, Axl is still relying on the past, and there's less and less CD songs in the set as the tour goes on.

Well in all fairness, all bands "rely on the past" simply because that's what most fans want to hear: Their hits.

Sky Dog wrote:

tommy on the possible tour cancellation...hmmmm

Tommy Stinson:  It's startling to me how stuff happens, ya know, it's stressful.  It's like ya kinda think o.k. well I gotta get my life in order here cause I'm leaving in five days and then you hear something like that coming down the pike.  And it's like Sunday night and you're like how am I suppose to deal with that.  Everyone's just trying to figure out what's happening with it and how it happened and then I get the call that everything's fine, whatever -- it's just some crazy shit going on.

Board footer