You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Time traveller caught on film in 1928?

Neemo wrote:

MAYBE Future Day has arrived after all.

Time traveller on film?
Is that a woman talking into a mobile phone in the background of Charlie Chaplin's 1928 film The Circus?

This week, the makers of Back To The Future kicked off celebrations marking the 25th anniversary of the release of the original movie starring Michael J Fox.

In the same week, an Irish independent filmmaker has gone public with what he says is footage of a time traveller caught walking through a scene on a recent DVD release of Charlie Chaplin's 1928 film, The Circus.

"I believe I'm the first person to find something quite unusual from a bit of film footage from 1928," Mr Clarke says.

It's not in the movie - it's real footage and it features real members of the public in 1928.

Or does it, asks Mr Clarke, who spotted a mysteriously dressed stranger walking past the camera talking into what he says can only be a mobile phone.

"The only conclusion I can come to - which sounds absolutely ridiculous I'm sure, to some people - is it's a time traveller," he says.

"When you're looking at a bit of 1928 footage with an old woman ... on a mobile phone, it's kind of strange. You can't explain it."

Now the YouTube footage has passed the half-a-million mark, plenty have tried.

YouTube user "Barnwash" claims Australian police tested the first true two-way radio in 1928 and that maybe the woman was security in disguise.

Others claim it was a type of hearing aid.

Most of the naysayers hang their arguments on the fact that there were no phone towers or satellites in 1928, but they are quickly shot down by the believers who say those who possess time travel tech surely could circumvent this.

There's also plenty of speculation about the mysterious figure herself ... if it is indeed a woman.

"Did anyone notice how odd his feet looked," midwestwoman asked. "Thick ankles and then super thin feet? They don't look right. Also her/his hand seemed abnormally large."

"Who is to say that time travel is not an 'interesting vacation' that people commonly take in the future to live/experience favorite time periods."

Who indeed? Certainly not Doc Brown, who some say bears a spooky resemblance to the "woman" in the footage...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

fucked up....heres a topic for the ages

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Very trippy. Debunkers trying to say its a hearing aid, but most people don't have conversations with their hearing aid.

I agree that it looks like a man.

Not willing to say its a time traveler yet but this footage definitely deserves a very close look.

Don't get why this has to be tied in with BTTF. Kind of cheapens the discovery in my opinion. Deserves close scrutiny instead of being some promotional aspect of BTTF anniversary.

It's really cool when just regular, every day people discover oddities like this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This was another similar oddity. Read about it a few years ago.

ABYC000a00fa.jpg

It’s the short description for the photograph shown at the virtual Bralorne Pioneer Museum, from British Columbia, Canada. The image can be seen specifically on this page (scroll down to the middle), among other items of the online exhibit. Did you notice anything out of place? Or perhaps, out of time?

The man with what appears to be very modern sunglasses seems to be wearing a stamped T-shirt with a nice sweater, all the while holding a portable compact camera!

Internet people reached to the obvious conclusion: it’s a time traveller caught on camera on 1940! Finally, we have proof!

If the story seems straight out of a movie and the photo is in itself a great funny find, the most amusing thing i came up with while looking into this – as an Internet person, on the Internet – was the reply for a skeptical, or perhaps somewhat cynical comment on how spurious it would seem the idea that a time traveler would want to visit the reopening of a bridge in some small town in Canada.

Read this on Doc Brown’s voice: “Of course, because we know nothing happened there right? But if we are considering time travel, how can we know if in some other timeline something historical happened right there?”

Indeed! Once you consider time travel, everything changes. But before writing Hollywood scripts, let’s get back to reality and ask again: is the photo evidence of a time traveller?
The source

As noted, the image is indeed available through the official website for Canada’s museums. It was part of the exhibit “Their Past Lives Here” from Bralorne-Pioneer, available to the public since 2004. It was put online since February this year, perhaps before that. And the peculiar “time traveller” image was only noted as such in the end of March, when it was linked on main websites such as Above Top Secret and FARK.

Given the source, we would assume the photo is authentic, and correctly dated to c.1940. Indeed, an Error Level Analysis suggests the image was not digitally tampered with, or at least that if it was, the author was smart enough to normalize the error across the whole thing.  It’s a good job, if it was a job. And again, given the source, we would assume it was not a job.

So, how do we explain the man out of time?

viajantes.jpg

Of course there are people who debunk this as well and while its possible everything he's wearing does come from that time frame, still an interesting pic as he does look out of place.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

My question is who in the hell would the time traveler be talking to on a mobile phone in 1928?

That's as much of a brain fart as Marty McFly thinking he'd just drop by and refill the DeLorean with gas in 1885... ummm....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Very interesting stuff. What do you guys think of the parallel reality theory? I had a roommate in college explain it to me. I'd never heard of it before and it blew my mind. The idea of someone in another dimension living the same life I'm living...trippy shit. haha

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

At 4:13 it looks like there's nothing in her hand and she's just shielding her face from the camera.

Wouldn't a time traveler be more discrete? And that must be a hell of a powerful cell pone to get reception back then!

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

First off I in no way believe these people to be time travellers but, if at a certain time humans discover how to use time travel I would be pretty sure that it be possible their phones woud'nt require towers, antenna ect.
In our time yes we need towers and networks to be setup but thats where you are making your mistake. Their tech may not be based off our current tech, comprendo?

I seriously doubt they would be using Vodafone or Verizon to call from the 1940s their colleagues/friends who maybe 100/200 years into the future lol.

Just a thought.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Thanks for posting neemo & james.  I would assume a simple male cast in a female role as an extra. the male could be trying to hide his face with his hand. I tend to think the "cell phone" is a shadow. look at the rest of the clip there are shadows cast from almost everything.

The picture got me with what looks like a logo t shirt. The glasses look kind of like the older grinding torch glasses  would be small for welding shades. how about light sensitivity glasses?

They say reality can be stranger than fiction. This post made me smile and imagine a world where you could visit the past/future how fun would it be? Also how bad could it get with key event changes. I know for one i would want to be present at key historical events. i dont think i could resist. spoorts betting(back to future) the lotto (time travlers wife) key stock investments ( time cop).

Board footer