You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden Reunion?

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i agree, cornell has always balked at a SG reunion...why the sudden change of heart...IMO its exactly like the GnR situation...Chris holds the keys and it wasnt even anyone from the band who talked, it was the shinedown singer who heard a rumor

For the record, Cornell was never opposed to it. He has said repeatedly that it was doubtful because none of the members ever talked about it. Other than the Cornell/Shepard confrontation at their last show, there wasn't any animosity. They just felt it ran its course. This isn't a "Thayil is a cancer best removed.." type situation.

When the 3/4 reunion happened, Cornell's comment was if he was there he would have been on stage. That obviously changes things. It went from never happening, to 75% happening, to Cornell not being in the same city on the same night to it fully materializing.

I also think the Scream fiasco has played a role in ushering this in quicker. No way in hell did that turn out like he planned. Any direction he wants to go musically from this point forward can be in that band.

I do agree that its fucked up for someone else to spill the beans like that. Really takes the buzz out of the whole thing. Now there will be mild speculation until an official announcement. If its truly happening, they should just release a statement now.

Big Gun
 Rep: 11 

Big Gun wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

i dont think cornell will be able to handle the songs

you couldn't be more wrong, i saw Chris Cornell live 2 weeks ago he sang for 2hr15min with 5 min break max during the whole show. boy this guy can sing, amazing singer. he sang pleanty of songs from superunkwon and my favorite one form that album let me drown. i also saw him live around 2 years when he opened for aerosmith but this time he seemed in much better form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBSrweJz … re=related

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

i dont think cornell will be able to handle the songs

If Robert Plant can "handle the songs", and if Mick Jagger can still be relevant while walking around the stage talking the songs, I think Cornell will do just fine. To be honest, I don't really care. He obviously isn't in his 20s anymore and people shouldn't go in with those expectations. You're not going to hear Jesus Christ Pose like it sounded in 1991, and if you're expecting that, you shouldn't even buy a ticket.

He sings Soundgarden and Audioslave songs on his solo tours, and there's no reason to think he cant do it just because Thayil, Shepard, and Cameron are on stage with him.

See funnily enough if the voice is taken care of it can be come stronger with age. Cornell went through a rough patch a few years ago BUT today he could do Jesus Christ pose Spot on......  Here I present exhibits A & B for the Loftons consideration
Personally I got a thing for Exhibit B though A may be a better all round performance

EXHIBIT A

EXHIBIT B
[youtube]2eje0eZDHpM[/url].[/youtube]

Did  someone mention ROBERT PLANT??? Well heres a bonus Exhibit :

BONUS EXHIBIT

madagas wrote:

I am fairly certain Cameron gets paid mighty well with Pearl Jam so I wouldn't be so sure he would go scurrying back for a Soundgarden reunion. Honestly, a regular Pearl Jam tour would get more money than a Soundgarden reunion. Just my opinion. hmm

However, a Soundgarden/Pearl Jam bill would be fantastic...that way, he could have his cake and eat it too!

Id just like to add that I don't think Cameron has ever been in it for the money. He was way too experimental. If he was in it for the $$ it would have been straight up 4\4 . I also think he joined PJ not for the moula but because as fellow "Grung Wavers" they had more musical cred than the likes of your average bands...VR and bands as such

Oh and one last addition for posterity you see :
I LOVE CHRIS CORNELL.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … -releases/

not looking too good for a reunion but you may get a boxed set.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … -releases/

not looking too good for a reunion but you may get a boxed set.

That box set can already be found here at GNR Evolution. Actually, I should dig through my stuff and upload the rest.

Thayil used to moan about this set every few years. They simply waited too long. Its just too easily available now and hardcores aren't likely to go out and buy something they have. It better have some demos no one has to entice people.

I think this Cornell interview shows that animosity of some sort does still exist. Like I mentioned, Thayil has talked about this for ages and now its finally just now being considered since the reunion speculation and 3/4 reunion happened.

This better not be a trial balloon to see how much interest is there because a box set of demos and B sides isn't gonna be a true gauge of it.

Sky Dog wrote:

ask The Replacements fans...got the stuff they pretty much already had. Ended up being a little bit of a disappointment and .......no reunion. Nada.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, rarely do you hear from Kim.

James

James wrote:

Thayil is probably the most underrated guitarist of our time. Its his own fault partially because he rarely speaks and when Soundgarden broke up, he became a bigger shut in than Axl. Should have kept his name out there.

Thats a cool story about the 3/4 reunion, mainly for how he wouldn't play those songs with Cameron just being an observer. Interesting how Shepard was the one to suggest the old tunes.

I want those rehearsals. Fuck the MJ lip synching shit. Lets hear 90 minutes of Soundgarden. 9

"Dirty Candy," "Ocean Fronts," "Open Up," "Summation" — that was a pretty heavy song, in 5/4 time. "Ocean Fronts" is a little bit more of a trippy, arpeggiated song. A song called "Beast," which is going to sound exactly like the title. "Beast" and "Summation" were really strong songs live — from the mid-late '80s. I cannot believe those two songs have never been released. "No Shame" is another title. There's enough stuff out there to fill up three or four albums. There's enough original stuff that's been released but hasn't been compiled — B sides — to make an album. There's enough covers to make an album. There's enough remixes that Moby, Steve Fisk and Bill Rieflin did, that could constitute a pretty interesting EP. There's enough unreleased stuff to make an album. It's just getting the business and creative machine on the same page.

Ok, I am now officially interested in this. Its always been assumed that a box set would be what we already have. Now fans know that is not the case.

The B sides, remixes, and stuff like that should be left off, or just used to round out the overall set. Fans have that stuff already. Just dig into the vault and release that.

I'd kill to hear a demo of Overfloater.

Ben told me he thinks that if Soundgarden were to get back together, you guys could pick up exactly where you left off.

That gave me chills. Its obvious that Shepard wants to do it. Someone get Shepard and Cornell in a studio ASAP. They'll have the basics of an album whipped up in days and this will start the chain reaction necessary for this to finally happen.

People would have to want to. I think more importantly, tending to the merchandising catalog is something that would be satisfying for the band members and for the fans. I never say never ... but I'm not losing too much sleep over it, either.

We're starting to get glimpses of why a reunion hasn't happened(yet). They obviously aren't happy with the merch side of things and the label situation.

I also hate how they always give themselves an 'out' when mentioning a reunion. It can never be yes or no. Gotta keep hope alive I guess.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I also hate how they always give themselves an 'out' when mentioning a reunion. It can never be yes or no. Gotta keep hope alive I guess.

I Love it the will they won't they its exciting. If they came out and said no we won't Id me massively sad.
If they way "You never know" and then don't you always got that phenomenon  of lookin back and saying "remember when SG nearly reunited That was soo exiting" and that feeling of butterflies in your stomach that IT COULD HAPPEN comes back to you.

If they DO well needless to say I will probably meet you at the front rail of the SG pit for every god damn stop on that tour

Board footer