You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Chris Cornell on Axl Rose

Stepvhen wrote:

Yeah and Id say that there are probably Lyrics on Use your Illusions 1&2  that Axl didnt write and wouldn't remember off the top of his head. Axl was obviously a Big Suoundgarden Fan!! GnR covered Big Dumb Sex from the Louder than Love record on the Spaghetti Incident . That may have been how I discovered Sound Garden and Cornell first time round I think.
Guns N Roses playing a Soundgarden tune.. It still makes me hard just thinking of it.. Gonna give that a spin right now actually

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:

Just to Add. Axl prob got the idea (if it was his idea smile ) of covering soundgarden on that tour listening to them play that live

EDIT:

Look what I just found:

For anyone who hasn't heard:
The original Versions of Buick McKane (T.Rex) and Big Dumb sex mixed in together spaghetti style:

Followed by the GnR Spaghetti Incident Version:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

That may have been how I discovered Sound Garden and Cornell first time round I think.
Guns N Roses playing a Soundgarden tune.. It still makes me hard just thinking of it.. Gonna give that a spin right now actually

If THAT'S how you discovered Soundgarden, then I'm glad they covered it. However, its horrific and never should have been included. Buick Makane is one of my favorites on that album, but the outro almost kills it. I still laugh when I hear it, and think I'll play it right now. Axl reading that line from a cue card with the band jamming it and doing so without even a hint of irony just slays me.

To any people here not Soundgarden fans or haven't heard the song in its entirety, the lyrics are poking fun at 80s metal. Thayil hated the song, but Cornell wanted to do it. I remember Cornell saying how those hair bands always had to beat around the bush and would never just say what they really wanted to say because they were too chickenshit. He does so in this track, and Big Dumb Sex is probably the true birth of grunge and death of hair metal. MTV and radio couldn't latch on to the track because of the profanity.

I love how the song immediately flows into Full On(reprise) to close the record. Genius track sequencing. They lull you to sleep after such an intense track, like coming down from an orgasm.

I really wish those Soundgarden sites would come back. Lots of info about all those songs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Really? I think Buick Makane is one of the weakest. I always thought Human Being was overlooked, and Look At Your Game Girl was kind of a lost/hidden gem.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

That may have been how I discovered Sound Garden and Cornell first time round I think.

If THAT'S how you discovered Soundgarden, then I'm glad they covered it. However, its horrific and never should have been included. Buick Makane is one of my favorites on that album, but the outro almost kills it. I still laugh when I hear it, and think I'll play it right now. Axl reading that line from a cue card with the band jamming it and doing so without even a hint of irony just slays me.

To any people here not Soundgarden fans or haven't heard the song in its entirety, the lyrics are poking fun at 80s metal. Thayil hated the song, but Cornell wanted to do it. I remember Cornell saying how those hair bands always had to beat around the bush and would never just say what they really wanted to say because they were too chickenshit. He does so in this track, and Big Dumb Sex is probably the true birth of grunge and death of hair metal. MTV and radio couldn't latch on to the track because of the profanity.

I love how the song immediately flows into Full On(reprise) to close the record. Genius track sequencing. They lull you to sleep after such an intense track, like coming down from an orgasm.

I really wish those Soundgarden sites would come back. Lots of info about all those songs.

Yup Soundgarden were unknown pretty much over here. The Grunge movement WAS Nirvana and when Cobain was out buying shotgun pellets the Gallagher Brothers were releasing Definitely maybe. Soundgarden never got a look in this side of the atlantic. First I ever heard of Soundgarden was that cover on TSI. Ironically I didn't get into soundgarden from there. Being a bit younger I came across Out of Exile by Audioslave. Then got Euphoria Morning. Then Soundgarden. Strange path

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Really? I think Buick Makane is one of the weakest. I always thought Human Being was overlooked, and Look At Your Game Girl was kind of a lost/hidden gem.

Its not a strong track in and of itself, but I like Slash's delivery and the band kills on this record. That jam towards the end of Human Being is some heavy shit.

I would hold that album in a higher regard had it just been a bonus disc with the Illusion discs, or released immediately afterwards. The Axl tracks could have been B sides to UYI singles, and the Duff tracks be placed on Believe In Me.

The album was irrelevant, pure and simple.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:

A Punk covers are a hard Sell. Punk was never meant to be covered. The Term Punk covers is an Oxyy-moron kinda like the erm Guns N Roses maybe thats why they did it. Covering a Punk song is Very unPunk

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

his voice was/is phenomenal.... when you're younger, like that, your voice can bounce back from pretty much anything....look at axl pre-appetite

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Its not a strong track in and of itself, but I like Slash's delivery and the band kills on this record. That jam towards the end of Human Being is some heavy shit.

I would hold that album in a higher regard had it just been a bonus disc with the Illusion discs, or released immediately afterwards. The Axl tracks could have been B sides to UYI singles, and the Duff tracks be placed on Believe In Me.

The album was irrelevant, pure and simple.

had it been an e.p. like they planned originally...and it was released in, say... mid 1992.... and it hadn't been that last official release by the old line-up.... it would prolly be held in a much higher regard....

human being, down on the farm, ain't it fun, black leather, don't care about you/ LATGG...and maybe attitude

Board footer