You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

monkeychow wrote:

This really is crazy.

On one hand I'm against downloading and agree with buying music and supporting the artist. But once you own the CD you should be able to transfer to another format like mp3 without fear of reprisal. In fact i think you can under Australian law...but its been a while since i looked at it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

sharing files on Kazaa

Thats why I never allow my files to be shared on p2p sites. Its the ONLY leg the industry has to stand on, and when you pull that rug out from under them, you could download a thousand songs in front of their attorneys and there isn't a damn thing they could do about it.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

The industry is only biting the hand that feeds them.  Losing some money because of file sharing is better than losing alot more money due to the backlash that will follow from this kind of action.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I know i'm alone in this, but I see it as the consumers  biting the hand that feeds them.

Downloading is causing the music industry to colapse. Soon when higher speed transfers are standard the same downloading will destroy the movie industry (more than it already is).

Then we'll have no good quality films and music recordings to listen to - you'll have to look for a good movie amongst everyone else with a handycam on youtube. And you'll have to search through the crap music of anyone with a band to find bands that have some talent.

While i agree that too much business has got into the music business (manafactured talent that looks cute but can't play etc) - there does need to be some mechnism to promote and sort out what's truely exceptional from what's not.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The film industry will never collapse. Nothing can replicate the experience of watching a film in the theater, and as long as people date/go out, theaters will continue to be packed even if the quality of movies continues to drop.

The music industry brought this on themselves. Insane prices for cds when the technology for them became cheaper to use, destroying the record store culture, and other factors makes the collapse nobodys fault but their own.

We should not be paying 10-20 bucks for a cd in the year 2008. Its not feasible.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

You honestly believe that downloading is the sole reason music industry is collapsing?

Hmm..well yeah to be honest. If we didn't have technology that allowed us to make good quality copies of music for free, then people would go buy more CDs. There wasn't any collapse in the 80s or esrly 90s. All of this began basicly when it became cheap to get CDRs/Internet/mp3.

I don't deny that there are reasons the industry sucks, and that many people are enjoying the chance to "stick it to the man", and I know everiyone always says "they only have themselves to blame". But that's why consumers hate them, not how we are able to rip them off. Consumers all hate oil companies too, but they're making a lot cos we havn't worked out how to swap petrol for free wink

So yeah, i guess, I do think if it wasn't for the technological upgrades that we've had, then the  the profit results of the music businesses would be at hisorical or better levels. And its money that makes our society go round. So at the end of the day - it all comes back to downloading/burning.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

It's good that the original article was inaccurate.  I was about to commit myself from never buying music legally again in protest.  I think it's foolish that the record industry is fighting this.  As long as the technology exists to personally recreate products of identical quality and design, it's going to be hard to prevent people from downloading music.  Also, as long as I continue to read the signs at Walmart that tell me the recording industry receives royalties from every CD-R I buy, I'm not letting it get to me.

All in all, instead of fighting this, it's time for the record industry to embrace it.  Use the internet as an outlet for creativity and explore alternative measures to earn money from the music.  Maybe we could bring back vinyl or something.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer