You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is everyone likes different things about GNR, in all it's forms. When I read about the 'filler' on UYI people often list some of my favourite tracks, likewise some of my favourite CD songs are the ones other people don't think should have made the album.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

^ I love "Don't Damn Me", "Bad Apples", and "Breakdown",etc. One of the only songs that hasn't aged well is "Get In The Ring" - that song has no business being on the record - it should have been a B-Side. The music for GITR is very cool and it's a shame that the lyrical content is so silly. Though, back in the day GITR was very fun to listen too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

just re-lived both UYI's, the best of those blows away anything on Chinese. Coma, Locomotive, Estranged.....Axl can't top those.

Ehh, I don't know about that. Those are epic songs for sure. The one true competitor is There Was A Time. I was say it takes out Locomotive, maybe not Coma or Estranged tho. I also would throw Catcher In The Rye and This I Love in there. They wouldn't beat 'em, but it'd be a damn good battle royal.

misterID wrote:

UYI is an absolute pain to get through for me. I can't even listen to the album(s) anymore, just a best of tracks I made off them. Estranged is the best song on there.

Yes and no.

Estranged is definitely the best on them, but "absolute pain"?

Seriously?

Dude, they still fuckin' rock, and this is coming from someone who thinks CD is a more well-rounded album experience.

misterID wrote:

Chinese Democracy is a vastly superior overall album, imo.

Yes and no. Vastly? No.

Is it superior? Absolutely.

I think it goes AFD / CD / UYI II / UYI I / Lies... and I don't count TSI, because it's a compilation/covers album.

I feel CD is a more well-rounded album experience. It seems to have a straight-forward approach from beginning to end, and it leaves it stronger overall.

The fillers don't destroy the Illusion albums, it just weakens them in comparison to AFD & CD.

All I have to say is it's sad. I was in Best Buy today for the first time since 2008. There was about 20 copies of Chinese Democracy in there from $9.99, which is actually cheaper than what I paid for it.

Despite the whole "is it Guns, is it not?" argument, I just know a helluva lot of people are missing out on a GREAT rock album.

It's still gotta be fuckin' better than fuckin' Lifehouse.

misterID wrote:

UYI's few great songs can't make up for the rest of the album(s) material. If it weren't for Estranged, NR, Coma, Locomotive, UYI would be a total disaster.  Civil War and Yesterdays are good songs, but not great.

Yes and no.

UYI's great songs do make up for it, but DUH on that "if it weren't for Estranged, NR, etc. it would be a complete disaster"

That's kind of a weird statement. Technically if you take Jungle, Paradise City & Sweet Child off AFD, it's a "no hits" album, just like CD.

misterID wrote:

CD is the GNR album I listen to most. AFD is second, but I haven't listened to it in forever. There's not a song I skip on CD. I can't even say that for AFD.

I listen to a pretty even blend from AFD, UYI I & II, and CD. I have a tendency to skip Riad & I.R.S., but nothing else. There's definitely more I skip on the Illusion's.

misterID wrote:

Shackler's is a good song. I like it more and more as time goes by. When I listen to the vocal track, the bass track and the drum track seperately, it shows what a killer song it could have been. Would love to hear Buchethead's version, when it was probably less cluttered.

I would've loved to hear a Bucket version, the original version as well. But I will give props to Ron. He tears up that solo. 9

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

UYI has better rockers than CD and better ballads...  And UYI 1 and UYI 2 sold 8 million copies each in the US.  There is some filler (shotgun blues), but if you made just one album of UYI featuring:

Civil War
YCBM
Don't Cry
NR
Estranged
Locomotive
Breakdown
Coma
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
DTJ
You Ain't The First
Yesterdays
The Garden

You have one of the greatest albums ever... And I even like some of the songs I left off. 

If the World is an awesome tune, but now I prefer the mashup to the original... Lame, I know.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

People often forget how awesome UYI really is. I think I'd rate the albums almost identically to how they were released actually.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

great albums to many great songs to mention!!!! although fav would be no 1

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

People who think UYI is inferior to CD need to pass that crack pipe my way.

Dust N Bones
Don't Cry
Back Off Bitch
Double Talkin Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
YCBM
Estranged

CD cant hold its jock strap.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Dust N Bones
Don't Cry
Back Off Bitch
Double Talkin Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
YCBM
Estranged

CD cant hold its jock strap.

Really?  That's your top UYI songs?

Dust N Bones, Back Off Bitch, The Garden, 14 years. I would absolutely call that fillers...

Just goes to show GNR-fans are a varied bunch of people!
smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I forgot to add Coma to that list, but even taking away the four tracks you call filler, it's still a better album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Dust N Bones - okay
Don't Cry - okay
Back Off Bitch - awful
Double Talkin Jive - good/okay
November Rain - classic
The Garden - okay
Civil War - good
14 Years - good
Yesterdays - good
Breakdown - awful
Pretty Tied Up - okay
Locomotive - classic