You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Favorite foreign films

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Another Korean film seen today:  The Game (2008).  It's a great film that stars Ryu from Mr. Vengeance.  It's got some sci fi/ horror stuff but mostly its a psychological thriller.  Solid dramatic acting from both the lead and the antagonist.

James, have you seen this film?  I'm just curious since you seem to watch a lot of Asian films and our tastes appear to be similiar.

Nope. Haven't seen it. In fact, never heard of it until you mentioned it.

I'll have to check it out.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Let the right one in.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Abre los ojos (1997)  Basically the film that was remade into Vanilla Sky in 2001.

James

James wrote:

Finally watched The Isle last night after delaying it for almost two years. Actually had it here at home several times but wound up sending it back to get other things on my queue(Sopranos and Party of Five).

Wasn't nearly as good as I expected it to be. Been awhile since watching one of these asian flicks, so the pacing threw me off a bit. Also, I realized pretty quickly that I had a cut version of the film which pissed me off and probably played a role in how I viewed the overall film.

It had a lot of potential which didn't really go anywhere. Like how she is a mute and the two are forced into communicating through physical means, but I also think this is a cop out of sorts and lets them not need to bring any real conclusion to this story. Her self mutilation with the fish hooks was absurd at that point as we had just witnessed him doing the same thing 20 minutes earlier. I understood her desperation as he was attempting to leave and her out on that float alone had turned the table on the situation and placed her in the position of those men, which was way out of her comfort zone. Sexual mutilation wasn't the answer though. 16

James

James wrote:

Just got through watching Audition again. Its a pretty complex film as you notice little things that you didn't see in previous viewings. For instance....

Hidden Text:

I just now realized the guy in the sack was the record company owner who had went missing. For some reason I had thought it was the club owner or her stepfather, but that was a woman and her body had been found while the fate of the stepfather is never really addressed again.

Also....

Hidden Text:

The dinner scenes shown in 'real time' are in complete contrast to the flashbacks of the same scenes later on in the film. Obviously in the flashbacks he is seeing though her initial lies and seeing/hearing what he should have in the first place. Once she has been taken down from the saintly pedestal he had placed her on, reality sets in but its already too late.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

saw a couple of real good ones in the past few days:

White Night(2009)  Korean film.  Thriller/drama reminded me of "Audition"  not as psychologically intense though.

Tell No One (2006)  French.  Very intelligent and smartly crafted French thriller.  Shades of Hitchcock.  The director has  a cameo in the film.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

I do like Oldboy.

James

James wrote:

Gonna add Alone to this list. About a Korean woman being haunted by her dead siamese twin when she goes back home to visit her sick mother. Has a twist I did not see coming but like with films such as The Sixth Sense, you wonder how you didn't see it coming immediately as there are a few hints.

Was also strange how the film went from a ghost story into more of a thriller in the last half hour or so.

The flashback scenes of the twins are great and are edited in at the right time to add to the overall story.

The lead actress was killer in this.

Anna
 Rep: 8 

Anna wrote:

Old boy
Mother
The Chaser
Cruel Winter Blues
The Man From Nowhere
The Legend of Chen Zhen
I Saw the Devil
Bittersweet
F.R.I.E.N.D (Friend)
Crying Fist
Three Extremes
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Hero

johndivney wrote:

i watched Sympathy for Mr Vengeance last week & i thought it was truly one of the best films i've ever seen

i thought Oldboy was good but hadn't prepared me for the impact of Sympathy for Mr Vengeance which totally blew my mind.

gonna watching Lady Vengeance tonight or tomorrow.

Board footer