You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: BEYOND offensive truck in Detroit

slcpunk wrote:
DCK wrote:

Imagine driving down in Texas with "The Bibel is toilet paper" on your car...

I'd imagine a cop would pull you over for the one and give you a ticket (for whatever they wanted.) I'd also guarantee you that you'd get into an altercation somewhere, and a the very least find your tires slashed/car keyed when you come out of a store etc.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Or even Florida. Drive around the rural parts of Florida with that, and I guarantee you you're getting your ass stomped eventually, or at least ran off the road even if you don't stop anywhere.

Believe it or not I actually knew a diehard atheist years ago, who was a diehard Democrat also. Put bumper stickers all over his car for years. Still had shit that said "Carter in '76!" Well one of his bumper stickers said, "Need Toilet Paper? Use Your Bible!"

Well get this, he worked at WAL-MART! Of all places. So his car is sitting in the lot all day. He literally had people who would see it, leave and come back at quitting time, and wait for him.

He got the shit kicked out of him at least 5 times I know of.

Still didn't take it off. Eventually it was ripped off by someone, who also took a tire iron to his back window, and side mirrors.

Real odd situation. Nice, harmless guy, knew him my whole life up to that point.

Riad wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah that is a pretty idiotic tailgate.

The ones that say, "To All Arabs, Kiss My American Ass" and "Out of Toilet Paper, Use That Koran"

Those aren't really that offensive. And I say because unlike alot of people, I don't see any real reason to run around the world apologizing for being American, fuck that... and the other one refers to a religion, which really deserves no real protection in my eyes. Christians too. They have a right to their religion, and I fuck a right to tell them to fuck off. jmho

The rest are pretty damned inflammatory. Surprised that dude hasn't had his truck vandalized.

Hey Russ, I thought the Detroit area has a REALLY high population of Muslims? I'd figure one of them would've been on that truck fast by now.

Who'd vandalize it?
The thing about the average Arab is that their religion doesn't let them do things like that.
It's highly oppressive methinks.

Actually alot of times THEY are not the ones to start shit. Same thing with blacks.

Alot of times the vandalism happens from white people trying to make a statement of how offended they are.

As someone who's seen it before, nothing is more absolutely bizarre than watching a white man kick another white man's ass for saying "nigger" in direction of a black guy.

Huh? It's happened in front of me.

TheMole wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The ones that say, "To All Arabs, Kiss My American Ass" and "Out of Toilet Paper, Use That Koran"

Those aren't really that offensive. And I say because unlike alot of people, I don't see any real reason to run around the world apologizing for being American, fuck that... and the other one refers to a religion, which really deserves no real protection in my eyes. Christians too. They have a right to their religion, and I fuck a right to tell them to fuck off. jmho

Of course you don't need to apologize for being an American, but this specific sticker isn't really about apologizing is it? I mean, you can perfectly "not apologize" by not having this sticker on your car, can't you? My take is you have a lot less to apologize for if you don't have this sticker plastered on your bumper.

Yeah but doesn't that defeat the whole point of free speech?

We'd all have less to apologize for, certaintly me (lmao) if we just kept our mouths shut and went with the "go with the flow" political correct machine on a daily basis.

Humans don't work that way. Eventually people are gonna say something stupid, but for as stupid as it is, it's still a statement worthy of being listened to. If we don't listen to or read it... we can't get offended by it to know it's wrong.

I'll stop here before I go into a philosophical speech on ethics.

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Those aren't really that offensive.

Not to start shit but I sort of think they are.

The problem with the first one is that it's generalising against ALL arabs presumably because the driver has a problem with some arabs. There are arab americans, arab-europeans, there are arab-arab i'm guesing who don't harbour ill-will to the usa. I'm guessing the attitude stems from the war, so then the sticker is pretty much assuming that anyone of arab bloodline is a terrorist sympathiser - which is kind of offensive to those that arn't. Or if it's not about the war then it's just as bad as having an anti-african amercian, anti-jewish, or anti-white sticker on your car. In any event it's branding people by their race.

For the same reason you shouldn't have to appoligise for being an american, they shouldn't be classified as something just because of their country of origin. Hense offensive.

As for the crack against the Koran...well that's just the same as having a shot at the bible or some other document that is important to many, or, if you arn't religious, think of it as having a go at something that's close to your heart and your beliefs. So it's like having a bumper sticker saying "fuck your mother in her ass" or something...maybe there's a right to say it...but it's definately offensive as it serves no purpose other than to mock the feelings others hold toward that object.

Not that i'm from the middle east or islamic but i can see there's pretty solid grounds for offense there!

I'm not saying they shouldn't be offended. I'm just saying I doubt i'd care.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
DCK wrote:

Reminds me of this. Although not exactly the same, and Alabama instead of TX, it's funny nonetheless, and really does drive the point home (lame pun intended):

Apologies for the mirrored clip, there doesn't seem to be a good version on youtube...

Axlin08 wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should be illegal... I'm saying it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the guy as far as character & personality goes.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I've seen that clip before. It's hilarious but then becomes downright scary really quick. I can tell you that once you get to the real south: Central/N. Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama etc you'll see some real redneck shit like that. I've gone into gas stations and seen them selling hats that said "The real boyz in the hood" with a picture of KKK guys next to the quote, and other openly racist shirts, buttons etc.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Nothing breaks my heart more than watching Klan members with the Confederate flag, or when you drive down Hwy 27 and see guys on the side of the road selling Rebel flags with Nazi swastikas and German iron cross' on the flag.

It's just like flat out saying - "i'm a stupid, ignorant, asshole."

There's also a real difference between "redneck" and "neo-nazi" or "skinhead". Rednecks can be cool, poor, earthy types into keeping it simple, outdoors activities and appreciation of God and family. Nothing wrong with that.

Then there's a whole 'nother group that were literally born out their mother's ass, and stayed pieces of shit for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately alot of people who aren't from this culture, label the whole group because of similar political ties, when in reality they are very different.

As someone who grew up around both groups, I agree there's alot of ignorance and intolarance. But on the flip side some of the anger comes from what is perceived as an attack on their culture. So in their eyes they're not going down without a fight. In some ways I admire it. At least they have a passion for their way of life. Most Americans couldn't give a flying fuck. Just go with the flow, don't bother me. In an ironic twist, some of the most passionate and patriotic Americans come from these groups. Weird.

As for the neo-nazi's, i've met some of these clowns, and thankfully i've never seen a single one that was the 'real deal'. Most of the ones i've known are 'big talk', and only feel they have power in the group of the other skinheads.

TheMole wrote:
DCK wrote:

Reminds me of this. Although not exactly the same, and Alabama instead of TX, it's funny nonetheless, and really does drive the point home (lame pun intended):

Apologies for the mirrored clip, there doesn't seem to be a good version on youtube...

Axlin08 wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should be illegal... I'm saying it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the guy as far as character & personality goes.

I've seen that clip before, pretty funny.

But with all due respect, it's always easier to bag on "whitey" in the media and in the "Bible Thumping South".

But in reality, if they had painted their cars up like that and drove their cars into some of the bad ghettos in New York City and LA, they could've gotten equally as dead.

For as much shit as white, redneck, Christians get about that stuff, from what i've seen.... Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims hate gays ALOT worse than whites.

I actually knew an Islamic guy once who chest beat about how he killed a fag in Iraq where he was from and that's what America needed to get back to. I also used to see Black Ministers run around with Jeremiah Wright-like sermons talking about how gays are the ones who should've been the slaves in the South.

Just bizarre stuff. Just wanted to throw out there that that stuff ain't all Southerners.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I keep wondering what kind of slogans that would make people as angry as that where I come from.

Nothing Christian would work, if someone said "Jesus is a cunt" no one would lift a finger.
No sports would do it either...
No political things would work, unless it's connected to Nazism.

Only thing I can think of right now is if someone had written slogans about the mass murderer at Utøya. Then people would have been pissed.

"Nascar sucks" and so? Who gives a fuck?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

For as much shit as white, redneck, Christians get about that stuff, from what i've seen.... Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims hate gays ALOT worse than whites.

Yes sir, 100% correct. And I do believe that our dual attitude towards this is a good demonstration of the fact that we still unconsciously think less of certain ethnic/religious groups. We actually expect Muslims, Hispanics, Ghetto Blacks, etc... to be bigots but we hold white folks to a higher standard. Hence all the picking on the "Bible Thumpers" & "Rednecks", I think.

We might not be racists, but we cut them some slack when they disrespect the gay community 'cause after all, "they're Muslims sir... they don't know any better". We don't mind Japanese racism 'cause "it's their culture, we have to respect that".

I am not a racist, I will never stigmatize the individual member of a certain group or religion. But we do collectively have expectations of specific communities, and they vary from group to group. And that's ok, human nature. As long as we don't project those expectations on the individual. Messages like the ones on that car do, and that's racism.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

"They're Muslims... they don't know any better" 14

That right there nails your point. Brilliant, brilliant observation. I said that speaking in front of a bunch of college kids and most of them looked totally confused.

Glad to see someone else absolutely gets it. To even 'go there' and basically give those guys a pass is racist in and of itself.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

we still unconsciously think less of certain ethnic/religious groups.

Interesting point.

I think most people too somewhat have given up on fixing most of the world...we just see suffering of some races as their lot in life.

I always wonder if this kid:

_325543_famine300.jpg

looked more like this kid:

annoyingkids-newt-590.jpg

would more be done to help the situation?

I'm not suggesting it's an easy thing to fix third world fammine. But I do think to some extent the empathy line breaks down. Bottom line is we're used to images of dying affricans...it's pretty normal to see...and you'd think it's not about what they look like surely...but I don't think you or I would just walk past a dying kid that looked just the same as us on our street either...so what's the problem? Is it the distance? Or just they fundementally we subconciously think they're some other race and it's their fate. It makes me wonder.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually monkey I think it's the  opposite, at least in America. But I see your point, and you are right in certain parts.

There are tons of poverty-stricken white kids, right here on American soil. Ever seen some of the slums in West Virginia and Kentucky? It looks third-world and the kids live in trash cans, or eat the fruit and plants in the area to survive. Their stories are a bit different though. It's usually a situation of "dad got laid off, couldn't find work", or "dad's in jail, mom abandoned us, granny's 95 and got alzheimer's", etc.

Well see the thing is, to the rich white folks in this country, it's "cool" and "chic" and "tugs at the heart", to help an impoverished Haitian kid. They sit around and brag to their rich friends how much good they're doing when it's all to feed their ego or public image.

While these American white kids starve, and look like your classic movie homeless kid in Saigon back in the day or something.

At least in my area and the research I did it was true. And you know what? The Christian churches in the area were the only ones reaching out to help these kids and feed them, give them a place.

You know where all your tree hugging hippies let's all share a Coke group was? Spending all their time and effort not giving a shit because no one would pay attention or care that you were feeding an American kid. They were helping kids not even from the country.

And is that so wrong? No it's not, but something reeks of it being unethical to me. Here you have a BLACK AMERICAN kid right around the block starving and looking emanciated, and they'd rather mail their food to a BLACK FOREIGN kid thousands of miles away.

It always bugged me. Like take care of your country's children FIRST. And i'd expect every other country in the world to do the same.

Board footer