You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

or if someone beats him out in camp, no biggie, they can cut him. But if they are not able to bring in anyone else, they need someone there to start.

Rex Grossman is a 3rd string NFL QB. No way should he be in the hunt to start, he'd be a very bad backup. I'd rather take a crapshoot & get any other teams 3rd stringer & sign him on the hope you get lucky than have Grossman in contention to start. I agree the money was low, so it wasn't a "bad" move, it just wasn't a "good" move either.  It's like kissing your sister, as they say.

I 110% disagree with this...first of all you have to look at our recent history. Rex is the best in a long line of HORRIBLE quarterbacks. Our team has started Jonaton Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Shane Matthews and Jim Miller for extended periods of time in the last 10 years.

It does get worse than Grossman, it really does. We've endured those periods.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

or if someone beats him out in camp, no biggie, they can cut him. But if they are not able to bring in anyone else, they need someone there to start.

Rex Grossman is a 3rd string NFL QB. No way should he be in the hunt to start, he'd be a very bad backup. I'd rather take a crapshoot & get any other teams 3rd stringer & sign him on the hope you get lucky than have Grossman in contention to start. I agree the money was low, so it wasn't a "bad" move, it just wasn't a "good" move either.  It's like kissing your sister, as they say.

I 110% disagree with this...first of all you have to look at our recent history. Rex is the best in a long line of HORRIBLE quarterbacks. Our team has started Jonaton Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Shane Matthews and Jim Miller for extended periods of time in the last 10 years.

It does get worse than Grossman, it really does. We've endured those periods.

The problem is that a lot of the people on that list have the same problem.  None should be starters, but they're not aweful.  Grossman/Griese and Matthews/Miller were pretty much the same thing.  Two guys who would be above average second stringers, but shouldn't be starters.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Favre has decided to call it a careerby Jay Glazer

(Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider).

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs '” including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience '” and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown '” the first of his career '” and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Brett played the game with heart and drive and success.  I'm glad he went out with a good season just hate that the last pass of his career had to be such a costly one.  Still, one of the best QB careers in football history and he owns some of the toughest records to beat.  Congradulations to a great career

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, he is truly a Legend of the game. Gave such mystique to Lambeau field & the Packers. A throwback to the Johnny Unitas days. Can't believe the guy never missed a start.

Sucks his last pass was a INT Gunslinger, and I wish he came back & tried to redeem himself, but i guess it wasn't meant to be.

Not the greatest QB, but he was great.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I hate to hear that Favre is retiring. He was my favorite non-Giant player. I love the way he played the game, and with the enthusiasm he played with. Without a doubt, one of the greatest QBs of all time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The last legend has now retired. I thought he should have retired several years ago, although he did have a great season last year.

I think the fact they wouldn't sign Moss played a huge role in this. He wanted a gamebreaker to throw to, and the GB franchise wouldn't provide him with that.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

It's amazing how the media have spun all the information about Brett Favre into some god like figure, on and off the field.

All I know is, Brett was happy when he was winning. When he was losing, he has done things like left the field without acknowledging the other team or pouted when his team wouldn't get him Randy Moss or keep Javon Walker.  A player he smitted during his time with the Vikings.

Favre is a a great player, no doubt, but as far as a person...he's not more impressive than anyone else. The media made him out to be an angellic figure. No one seems to remember when he was an ass hole in Atlanta and in his first years in Green Bay, when he did whatever he wanted and ignored coaches and fellow players.

I was born and raised in Wisconsin...there was nothing this guy could do that was wrong. Even when he was addicted to pain killers, (although handled well) no one questioned where he got these non-prescription vicadin (sp?).

It's just strange how we decide who is a hero and and who is a selfish crybaby.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Patriots start to rebuild secondary by signing CB Webster
Mar 4, 5:38 pm EST

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)'”With cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Randall Gay leaving as free agents, the New England Patriots began rebuilding their secondary on Tuesday by signing cornerback Jason Webster.

The 5-foot-9, 187-pound Webster has 393 tackles and 11 interceptions in 87 career games, 74 of them starts.

He played in one game last season for Buffalo before being placed on the reserve/injured list with an arm injury on Sept. 13.

The eight-year veteran was a second-round draft pick of San Francisco in 2000 and played four years with the 49ers before signing as a free agent with Atlanta, where he played for three years.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick says Webster is 'an experienced veteran who will add good depth to our secondary.'

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

WR Booker headed back to Bears
By Vaughn McClure | Tribune staff reporter
11:01 PM CST, March 4, 2008

Desperate for help at receiver, the Bears turned to an old friend, signing Marty Booker to a two-year deal.

Booker, originally a third-round pick of the Bears in the 1999 draft, was traded to the Dolphins in 2004 in the deal that brought defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago. Booker was shocked by the trade and said at the time that he didn't see it coming.

The Dolphins released Booker last month, giving the Bears a chance to snatch the player who ranks fifth all-time in catches (315) and sixth all-time in receiving yards (3,684) for the club.

Board footer