You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Jason Newsted: 'It's Taken Me 12 Years To Get Over Metallica

Axlin12 wrote:

Bottom line...

Hetfield was a fucking asshole in the situation

But Newstead was a dumbass as well. I don't understand why he challenged James authority for no reason. It was a stupid move, and more than likely he'll never ever be in Metallica ever again. They're pretty tight with Rob.

I love Rob's bass playing and live energy. I can agree with those statements.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

He's the replacement drummer, what's the point of making "a stand"?

I hear that. I guess it just gets hard to deal with bullshit.

Like he watches Izzy go. Then Gilby get fired. Then the band looses Slash. That's a devastating loss to the whole sound of the band.

Then he sits through 4 years of waiting for something to happen.

Then he has to listen to Paul Huge - who isn't exactly the guitarist of his generation - mocking Slash who is not only far more accomplished on guitar but also a friend of matts, and isn't even there to defend himself. He calls the bullshit for what it is and gets told by Axl to shut up because he's just an employee.

There comes a time when if you've been in a number of bands already, if you have your wealth, and you're tired of nonsence then you do what you do.

And with how things turned out afterward, I can't imagine he regrets it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

As for newsted....it seemed like in Some Kind of Monster that james and lars admitted that they never let him feel accepted as a real part of the band....of course given it's metallica I can see the "just shut up and take it" logic....but like I said about matt...there comes a time.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I see where Jason was coming from. He wanted the whole of Metallica to work together and it not just to be the James & Lars show. Now, whether he was stupid or not to attempt to change the culture of the band is another debate BUT James & Lars did admit that he was right.

If I was Jason would I have left?..hell fucking NO.
I'd be taking that check until they fired my ass and physically removed me from  the building. BUT James would not take material from Jason and would not let Jason get his material out in another band during Metallica downtime. That's a pretty shitty position to put a talented musician into.

A vodka fueled James and a coke fueled Lars, high on their own bullshit must have been a pretty tough pair to deal with. To this day I never got their shitty attitude to Jason, he worked so hard for the band.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I don't necessarily see him as dumb. Seems like the guy made a fortune as it is and finally had enough of the shit from Hetfield and Lars so he left.

Was Izzy a dumbass for leaving Guns and going back to basically playing small clubs?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I don't necessarily see him as dumb. Seems like the guy made a fortune as it is and finally had enough of the shit from Hetfield and Lars so he left.

Was Izzy a dumbass for leaving Guns and going back to basically playing small clubs?

The difference is Izzy never regretted it. He made the right decision.

If you spend 12 years "shaking" a decision I'd say you made the wrong one. You've just finally learned to accept that you did.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Has he said he regrets leaving? I didn't notice anything in there saying he regretted it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He says it took him 12 years to get over it. Take that for what you will.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I agree.  It doesn't take 12 years to get over the right decision, even if it's a hard one.

Board footer