You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Vatican lists "new deadly sins"

Neemo wrote:

Vatican lists "new sins," including pollution
By Philip Pullella Posted Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:00am PDT

The Vatican has told the faithful that they should be aware of 'new' sins such as causing environmental blight. (Stringer/Reuters)

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Thou shall not pollute the Earth. Thou shall beware genetic manipulation. Modern times bring with them modern sins. So the Vatican has told the faithful that they should be aware of "new" sins such as causing environmental blight.

The guidance came at the weekend when Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number two man in the sometimes murky area of sins and penance, spoke of modern evils.

Asked what he believed were today's "new sins," he told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that the greatest danger zone for the modern soul was the largely uncharted world of bioethics.

"(Within bioethics) there are areas where we absolutely must denounce some violations of the fundamental rights of human nature through experiments and genetic manipulation whose outcome is difficult to predict and control," he said.

The Vatican opposes stem cell research that involves destruction of embryos and has warned against the prospect of human cloning.

Girotti, in an interview headlined "New Forms of Social Sin," also listed "ecological" offences as modern evils.

In recent months, Pope Benedict has made several strong appeals for the protection of the environment, saying issues such as climate change had become gravely important for the entire human race.

Under Benedict and his predecessor John Paul, the Vatican has become progressively "green."

It has installed photovoltaic cells on buildings to produce electricity and hosted a scientific conference to discuss the ramifications of global warming and climate change, widely blamed on human use of fossil fuels.

Girotti, who is number two in the Vatican "Apostolic Penitentiary," which deals with matter of conscience, also listed drug trafficking and social and economic injustices as modern sins.

But Girotti also bemoaned that fewer and fewer Catholics go to confession at all.

He pointed to a study by Milan's Catholic University that showed that up to 60 percent of Catholic faithful in Italy stopped going to confession.

In the sacrament of Penance, Catholics confess their sins to a priest who absolves them in God's name.

But the same study by the Catholic University showed that 30 percent of Italian Catholics believed that there was no need for a priest to be God's intermediary and 20 percent felt uncomfortable talking about their sins to another person.

(Editing by Keith Weir)

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Sorry if I offend any Catholics here but the Catholic religion is all bullshit. A man has no right and I mean no right to hear what you have to say to the God you believe in. Especially since half of them touch little boys and sin themselves. Man is no substitute for God. The Pope is a load of bullshit. They put the man so high almost as high as Catholics think of God and Jesus Christ. They add books to the bible and their own rules more so than any religion that follows Jesus Christ. I don't need some place like the Vatican to tell me what is right and wrong in the eyes of my God.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Tha vatican are liars, because should they find bloodcells belonging to " jesus" anywhere in the world, they would be the first to clone him to gain more power over the planet.

Bunch of cretins, do they REALLY think we're all dicks incapable of clarity of thought ?

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

Sorry if I offend any Catholics here but the Catholic religion is all bullshit. A man has no right and I mean no right to hear what you have to say to the God you believe in. Especially since half of them touch little boys and sin themselves. Man is no substitute for God. The Pope is a load of bullshit. They put the man so high almost as high as Catholics think of God and Jesus Christ. They add books to the bible and their own rules more so than any religion that follows Jesus Christ. I don't need some place like the Vatican to tell me what is right and wrong in the eyes of my God.

I don't want to get into a religious argument with you and I'm certainly not the type to press my beliefs on other people but I'm just curious, why was your comment so harsh against the religion, are you an ex-catholic?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Why does the Vatican get to decide what a "new sin" is? They need to remember they have tons of people in their church fucking kids and should deal with that sin and purge their church of those freaks before telling the world what the "new sins" are.

I agree with Pride about the adding of books to the Bible. Like my grandma always said, any religion that adds anything to the Bible is not a real religion and not truly teaching the word of God. Its a SIN to add anything to the Bible.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The most evil institution in history threatens us again, eh?

One day...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

polluxlm wrote:

The most evil institution in history threatens us again, eh?

One day...

That's a very ignorant comment.  While I am by no means Catholic and certainly disagree with them on a multitude of social issues, I would say that the Church has done far more good than evil, and even if you want to dispute that, they certainly aren't the most evil institution.  Stalin's Russia, Hitler's Germany and Mao's China would fair much better for that title.

Just because your beliefs follow similarily to Scientology, doesn't qualify you to lash out at Catholicism or Christianity.  In all your rants about positive energy and seeing yourself do something, it always revolves around self gain; hardly the pincale and message of Christianity.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Geez, alot of hate for Catholics in this thread. Being one, I never understood the overall 'outcasting' if I may of them. Just the general stigma of being one (JFK the only Catholic priest, blah blah blah, being a catholic, although I guess the Jewish could say the same thing). Anyway, due to it being outdated on ssocial issues, and it's emphasis on forgiving, most Catholics have stopped following the word of the diocese. Sure, Catholic girls may hold out longer, but I'd be damned if I expect to find a virgin. Italians are sometimes the biggest crooks and most crooked (No offense DTJ, I'm talking about the mob & those connected. Then again, if an Italian isn't connected, he knows one who is). Anyway, it's really not like the Bible-belt down South. As for confession, I never liked that, and haven't gone in half a lifetime, probably over 20 years actually. It sucked as a kid, all we would do is say "I threw a soccer ball at my brother, I yelled at my Mom etc" and they'd tell me to say my prayers. I guess I should go again, after all the real sins took place, but I don't really beleive in it (confession), maybe one day, no time soon though. I do go to church every so often though.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

Frankly I feel this way about religion in general.  At some point a man wrote, translated, copied, interpreted... whatever... what may have been a word of some sort of god. 

That's how I started to declare myself agnostic, there's stuff I can't explain, but I've read a lot in the bible that doesn't really make sense either.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

People are free to believe and worship as they choose, in my book.  You could build a shrine to Bea Arthur for all I care and worship Maude (notice how it rhymes with God?), for all I care.  I just don't like all the sexual assault and cover ups.  The problem is not with the Catholic church, but with a few individuals who smear its reputation.  We all have views of Televangelists being sex-crazed perverts, when in actuality, very few of them probably are.  The bottom line is, we associate the crimes of these individuals with the church, instead of attributing their behaviour to their own will.  not going to generalize and say that Catholicism is the root of evil because a few priests touched little boys.  And just because I'm not a Catholic doesn't mean their beliefs are any less valid than my own.  If they want to just have sex for procreation and drink themselves silly when anyone dies, that's their choice!

Board footer