You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: House of Blues Houston, TX - May 28th 2013

DCK wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I think they're a good band, they put on a great show, but the older and chubbier Axl gets the more I realise the New GNR dream is dead, he started this new incarnation of GNR in his 30's, he's managed one album that took a zillion dollars and a zillion people to make and now he's a 50 something busting out Dead Flowers or AC/DC tunes to pad out his sets, they are going nowhere.
Just drink it up and enjoy it for what it is, I'd go to a show near me in a heartbeat, cant imagine a better night out to be honest, but creatively this old fella is at the end of the road, catch him before he's pushing up daisies and cherish the memories.

That's precisely how I feel. A few years ago I saw the light and realized this was pretty much all we're going to get. I will now only see them if they are local. No more big ticket GNR weekends that included travel, hotel, meals, tickets etc. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on other things.

And this is why I'm never around any more. The 2002 dream I had was dead within 9 minutes. And I blame everyone for it. Axl for fucking up the voice, and the media for shitting all over it, but who can blame them really. I saw a light with Axl and GNR in 2001-2002-2003. A project that could be so good, but no one gave it a chance. Just kept moaning about Slash. Who can blame them for that too? I guess you can't. But it was ruined. A ruined dream of a re-invented GNR with Axl Rose firing all cylinders like never before, with a group of talented people around him - looking like freaks. Buckethead and a gothic Robin Finck. I fucking loved it. It was so brave, so out there. Axl had balls, they had balls. That why I loved it so much. This idea of taking a band, turning everything upside down and coming out in the other end with something massive. I didn't want a new Appetite, I wanted - well - I actually wanted stuff like Shacklers or Better so Axl got it right, he just got it right too late and the freaky feel was already gone. 2000-era metal rock n roll with a touch of something no one had done before. Even like Oh My God. I dug that and I dug the new feel of it.

Now, well. The guy basically gave up on that project. With neither the media, the public or himself playing ball then it's just bound to go down the pooper. It was the bravest project in the history of rock n roll, and he nearly suceeded. But, in the end, he didn't. Now it's just a nostalgia band doing the round with a bloated singer looking more like Vince Neil than Vince Neil. And when I realised I wasn't getting any of what I expected, I bowed out. You see, that's the difference between me and many others. When I'm not that into it any more, I leave instead of fucking around making everyones day shitty by being a negative asshole on a GNR board. No way.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
DCK wrote:

And this is why I'm never around any more. The 2002 dream I had was dead within 9 minutes. And I blame everyone for it. Axl for fucking up the voice, and the media for shitting all over it, but who can blame them really. I saw a light with Axl and GNR in 2001-2002-2003. A project that could be so good, but no one gave it a chance. Just kept moaning about Slash. Who can blame them for that too? I guess you can't. But it was ruined. A ruined dream of a re-invented GNR with Axl Rose firing all cylinders like never before, with a group of talented people around him - looking like freaks. Buckethead and a gothic Robin Finck. I fucking loved it. It was so brave, so out there. Axl had balls, they had balls. That why I loved it so much. This idea of taking a band, turning everything upside down and coming out in the other end with something massive. I didn't want a new Appetite, I wanted - well - I actually wanted stuff like Shacklers or Better so Axl got it right, he just got it right too late and the freaky feel was already gone. 2000-era metal rock n roll with a touch of something no one had done before. Even like Oh My God. I dug that and I dug the new feel of it.

Now, well. The guy basically gave up on that project. With neither the media, the public or himself playing ball then it's just bound to go down the pooper. It was the bravest project in the history of rock n roll, and he nearly suceeded.

I've put similar thoughts out there in the past, but this piece sums up everything I feel (felt) about the 2002 lineup and what could have been. "The bravest project in the history of rock n roll." Still cuts me up that it didn't come to fruition. I can imagine vividly looking back someday in another timeline where it DID take off, and just boring the shit out my kids about how Guns N Roses were the best and most dangerous RnR band in the world- TWICE.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It was brave because it was a train wreck just waiting to happen.  You have the key talent in the band (BH) with no chance of functioning in an 8 piece band, another "guitar player" that looks like he was stuck in the 90s and can't play the instrument, and Axl.  Forgetting about what was wrong with the rest of it, this alone destroyed any chance for success.  That might have flown in the mid 90s (maybe) but no chance with Axl out of the spotlight for 10 years and apparently not keeping his voice ready for 10 years.  Axl with Slash and the boys in that condition would have been bad, but it had zero chance with that Axl and that cast. 

And here's the worst part: it's ALL his fault.  It's his fault the fans were on him, it's his fault the media was on him, it's his fault he wasn't ready, which made both of those factors worse than they already were.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I agree...but then I also think most people with Axl's emotional and psychological history wind up dead or in jail - so I have to respect that although on one level everything he did "wrong" is his fault - in terms of life - the guy still won - he's a multimillionaire and pretty much only does things these days the way HE wants.

Seriously, looking at 93 Axl you'd expect him to kill himself or pick one too many fights with a cop or something - so I have to pay the human triumph of it. He seems happy now.

Unlike many here, I'm not missing the 02 era, I'm missing the 06 era. Instrumentally I prefer the modern band to 02 or 06 because I only liked robin in NiN (he's actually very entertaining there where he's not soloing but rather playing key little melodies and things). But 2006 Axl was the bomb - total predator front man - the kind of guy that can front a major world act.

Those screams - that power - if he can get that sort of vocal form back (and I'm not sure if that's possible or not - I don't know to what extent there are age or illness issues or what) - but that's the kind of form where I can believe he'd smash out stuff even without Slash that was great.

For example that Sailing cover was fucking beautiful...all we have is a shitty live boot of it...but imagine those high raspy parts he sang in studio quality. Stuff like that would have been good. So aside from the old band, I'm nostalgic for 2006 vintage Axl. But I do have a little hope that maybe there's still some stuff on tape where he sang like that, or also that maybe he can still do power and rasp in the studio but just doesn't do it at gigs. But I dunno.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I dunno been kinda holding on for a new album...its been pretty stale for a few years now, but for replicating the orig material the band in place now is pretty awesome.

2010-11 the show sounded killer when I saw them live, but one can only see the same show so many times before being underwhelmed...tho they have added civil war, catcher and estranged since I've seen them last

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
DCK wrote:

This idea of taking a band, turning everything upside down and coming out in the other end with something massive. I didn't want a new Appetite, I wanted - well - I actually wanted stuff like Shacklers or Better so Axl got it right, he just got it right too late and the freaky feel was already gone.

He told Bob Ezrin in late 2000 that he was ready to mix the Sean Beavan album. What had been introduced to it following the OMG period were Brian May, Roy Thomas Baker and Buckethead. New GNR with classic rock / avant-garde trappings. Only he allowed himself to be talked out of it, as Ezrin wanted his royalties and seemingly convinced everybody that the album's not good enough to reach the sales marks of AFD/UYI.

My point being, Axl agreed to work on it more, but there was (likely more than one) moment in time where he felt comfortable in moving forward, but he lacked the proper environmental support to do so. Given how moody he can get, one shouldn't be surprised about that.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Did he lacked support or confidence?

I vote for the latter.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The story was Bob told him it needed more work, Axl said no and they never spoke again. Obviously something happened after that, but I wouldn't say Bob necessarily talked him out of it. Either way it's a shame. If Bob had just agreed to mix it we'd probably have that early album. Who knows what happens after that.

Board footer