You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Gilby was let go the same way, actually. He confirmed in a recent interview that he was still in Guns when Sympathy was recorded.

A simple way to prove that is dating his RS interview in 1994. Don't remember which band member said it years later, but Gilby essentially speaking for the band in that interview is why he got fired.

"I wasn't that involved with the "Sympathy For The Devil" recording - they did that while I was on the road touring for my solo record... That was one of the last straws for me, because ...I'm a big [Rolling] Stones fan, and they recorded the song without me. So I knew that was it." (Gilby, Songfacts, 09/10/13)

And you probably mean this interview:

"From July to the end of the year, I'm not gonna be available, because I'm gonna be working on my record. If the band decide to make a record during that time, then there's a good chance I'm not going to be doing it." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

It's safe to assume Ax was irked by the interview. Slash had the benefit of doubt in shooting his mouth - to a degree, the Snakepit/Paul Huge stuff was bad for him - but Gilby was an asset. Replace him in the UYI lineup with Fortus and many would think Izzy's back. He did his bit trying to get the album done in early '94 (Snakepit sessions & Guns sessions). He was singled out by the band as the 'fall guy'.

"What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

"There were days when Axl would call Slash and go, "Fire Gilby - he doesn't fit in with my plan," but he would never tell me. That was going on for a long time." (Gilby, Daily Trojan, 04/14/99)

"[Axl] said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night at rehearsal. This was about a year ago." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

Gilby was probably being hoping to gain some clout to his solo career at that point, by telling the press how it was.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Can we assume then that when Richard says 'no comment' it means that something is happening and anything he actually says can be ignored?

Richard is on at around 32:50
http://www.spreaker.com/user/talkingmet … osmith-gnr

Basically, there's no GN'R reunion happening any time soon.
There's also no tour nor an album on the horizon.

So what and how does this add to the mythology of "Richard Speaks"?
smile

otto

otto wrote:

Got now to the thread on MyGNRForum and there were some pieces transcribed (credit to Dr. Who poster there):

On touring and new material:
"I don't think there's going to be any touring soon - we have been working on material- there's certainly starts and stops but we're still plugging away on it."

"Is it frustrating? You know, if I didn't have other things going on, it probably would be. But I've got other things that I focus on. I've been doing GN'R now for what?! 13, 14 years. It's the nature of what it is.

On Axl:
"I've never met someone who has so much genuine musical integrity. He won't whore himself out for business, he won't for money, it's just about the music. He won't defend himself in the press because he doesn't think it matters - it's just about the music. That's all he cares about. You know, I've worked with a lot of people in this business and I've never seen or met anybody who was motivated purely by that - by the desire to make art. And you can say whatever you want about him, because he's not going to defend himself, but he is that- and that's for sure."

On a reunion:
"Otherwise, there would've been a reunion, because the offers for money have been outrageous - he would never do a reunion unless it was for something besides money. There's been talks in passing man [about a reunion]."

On criticism of Axl:
"It depends on what they're criticizing. It frustrates fans with the lack of information given, it frustrates them with the lack of product, the fact that they wanna buy albums and support the band but they can't. You know we do tour, we have toured a lot...I don't if it it's justified or not."

On lateness:
"The last few years, it's been very… It's not like a lot of bands, where it's like clockwork. It's different, and it's never gonna be that, because that's not who he is. But, man, you know, he's the real deal. He is the real deal. And he lives it, and, like I said, all he cares about is the music. For the longest time, when I first started with the band even, I thought it was by design. I thought, 'He has this worked out.'
'Cause, you know, it's two hours after we're supposed to start, three hours… and people are… stadiums full of people just booing. And the second he'd walk out on stage, all that energy, all that… on the verge of chaos, of just imploding and everyone just rioting, right at that moment he walks out on stage, and all of that negative energy just goes totally up right into the palm of his hand. I mean, it's phenomenal to watch.
And I thought it was by design; I thought that he had figured out some type of way to judge the moment, but it's not. [Laughs] It's not. It's just… That's just what he is. He's not gonna walk out on stage until he is… It's not like he's sitting back watching TV and eating potato chips. Man, he goes through a lot to walk out on stage. Just everything… with being himself… to get into the right place within himself."

On re-recorded AFD:
"This was before I was in the band...It was [done] to sort of get a read of where they were recording wise, sonically. I don't think it was with the intent of re-license and not have to pay the old band, or be able to control the masters."

Is there a Guns N' Roses
"Yeah, we're still here dude."

(Put the quotes from Blabbermouth that apex brought in)

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

These guys are all B - D listers... If they had something better they would be doing that full time.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Added some stuff from Blabbermouth:

otto wrote:

Got now to the thread on MyGNRForum and there were some pieces transcribed (credit to Dr. Who poster there):

On touring and new material:
"I don't think there's going to be any touring soon - we have been working on material- there's certainly starts and stops but we're still plugging away on it."

"Is it frustrating? You know, if I didn't have other things going on, it probably would be. But I've got other things that I focus on. I've been doing GN'R now for what?! 13, 14 years. It's the nature of what it is.

On Axl:
"I've never met someone who has so much genuine musical integrity. He won't whore himself out for business, he won't for money, it's just about the music. He won't defend himself in the press because he doesn't think it matters - it's just about the music. That's all he cares about. You know, I've worked with a lot of people in this business and I've never seen or met anybody who was motivated purely by that - by the desire to make art. And you can say whatever you want about him, because he's not going to defend himself, but he is that- and that's for sure."

On a reunion:
"Otherwise, there would've been a reunion, because the offers for money have been outrageous - he would never do a reunion unless it was for something besides money. There's been talks in passing man [about a reunion]."

On criticism of Axl:
"It depends on what they're criticizing. It frustrates fans with the lack of information given, it frustrates them with the lack of product, the fact that they wanna buy albums and support the band but they can't. You know we do tour, we have toured a lot...I don't if it it's justified or not."

On lateness:

"The last few years, it's been very… It's not like a lot of bands, where it's like clockwork. It's different, and it's never gonna be that, because that's not who he is. But, man, you know, he's the real deal. He is the real deal. And he lives it, and, like I said, all he cares about is the music. For the longest time, when I first started with the band even, I thought it was by design. I thought, 'He has this worked out.'

'Cause, you know, it's two hours after we're supposed to start, three hours… and people are… stadiums full of people just booing. And the second he'd walk out on stage, all that energy, all that… on the verge of chaos, of just imploding and everyone just rioting, right at that moment he walks out on stage, and all of that negative energy just goes totally up right into the palm of his hand. I mean, it's phenomenal to watch.

And I thought it was by design; I thought that he had figured out some type of way to judge the moment, but it's not. [Laughs] It's not. It's just… That's just what he is. He's not gonna walk out on stage until he is… It's not like he's sitting back watching TV and eating potato chips. Man, he goes through a lot to walk out on stage. Just everything… with being himself… to get into the right place within himself."

On re-recorded AFD:
"This was before I was in the band...It was [done] to sort of get a read of where they were recording wise, sonically. I don't think it was with the intent of re-license and not have to pay the old band, or be able to control the masters."

Is there a Guns N' Roses
"Yeah, we're still here dude."

What's curious is how Richard described the lateness. He steps carefully around it, but he obviously knows more than what he lets on. There's a reason why Axl arrives sometimes at the last minute to the venue (sometimes from another country!). There's a reason why he holds up hours after the scheduled start. That reason is his own headspace. Anxiety, stage fright, or whatever it is. He can be bummed out and all melancholic, 'I'm old, they hate me', or whatever. He eventually fires up and decides, here we go. All the crew, the band, everyone's out there waiting and the Axl clock pushes their working hours all the more, and that's the nature of the beast. He only comes out when he's mentally capable of doing the show, and that seems to be a personality trait he's stuck with, despite the years of experience as a live performer. Succintly, he's a loon tongue

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

"There were days when Axl would call Slash and go, "Fire Gilby - he doesn't fit in with my plan," but he would never tell me. That was going on for a long time." (Gilby, Daily Trojan, 04/14/99)

"[Axl] said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons.

As great as some of the songs are on Pawnshop Guitars, I can see Axl's point in losing interest in Gilby as far as recording new material goes. As a touring guitarist? Sure. Recording a legitimate followup to UYI? Not so much. His musical resume pre-Pawnshop Guitars was NOT impressive at all. I remember buying Kill for Thrills back then and it was unlistenable noise pollution. GNR could have recorded new material with Gilby obviously but since Axl had fantasies of taking GNR in all sorts of bizarre directions in the mid-late 90's(which were pipe dreams in hindsight), his desire to ditch Gilby makes sense.

I didn't read Kerrang. Wish we could track down his Rolling Stone interview from that time frame.

otto

otto wrote:

Well, there you have it...
http://www.alternativenation.net/bumble … s-n-roses/

Guitarist Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal has revealed on Facebook why he cannot discuss his ambiguous status (and heavily rumored departure) from Guns N’ Roses, GNRTruth reports.  Bumblefoot responded to a Facebook post, “I cannot erase a decade of history, and I can’t stop the media from asking what they want to ask and making up their own titles on their interviews and posts.  No matter how much I asked them not to do it.  Get a fucking clue.”

He added, “PS – I’ve been honoring a request to not make any public statements about anything related to it, which continues to put me in a very awkward position that I don’t want to be in.  Not how I do things, repeatedly taking the bullet on this one.  So stop your whining already.”

On Thal’s LinkedIn, he lists his departure date from Guns N’ Roses as June 2014.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

So he's out but they won't let him say he's out? It's a bit like when he joined and they wouldn't let him say he was in, but he did anyway, so then he was out. Perhaps if he says he's out he'll be forced to be back in again?

My head hurts.

otto

otto wrote:

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

AtariLegend wrote:

I know the guy was great to the community despite the trolls ect and even a few times came into the old ROV chat room years ago. I'm sure he's not a dickhead.

However I just think the greatest shame in it all was that he ever got to record additional parts on the album years ago. That weren't needed, essentially replacing Tommy's bass and all in all made the finished material inferior to the demos. The redone Catcher In The Rye that's litterally a musical abortion to my ears is one thing, but even on tracks like Chinese Democracy.... It's just a guitar too much.

I personally as a fan who loved the demos and the tracks we heard throughout the years played live, feel like I like Chinese Democracy inspite of BBF's extra parts. Where as it should have been one of my favorite albums. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it was someone else who recorded those parts after BBF joined.

Board footer