You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Reunion @ Soundwave

Will wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

No one seems to have mentioned Izzy in their scenarios?

Started a new topic on this.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

No to Grohl. This about GNR not the Foos or Nirvana. Needs to be from the Fam:

Adler
Matt
Brain
Frank

That is it. Maybe Don Henley. Haha

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I suppose some spruced up versions of some of the early covers that were recorded as demos in 1986? Just another Sunday reworked? Crash Diet? Pretty average stuff really.

Its pretty average but it goes from pretty average to pretty fucking great when its mixed/remastered properly for an official release.  Just like SG fans, GNR fans have wanted this stuff for years. That Echo of Miles box set contained 75-80% of material we had already heard but they were crappy quality all those years.

Even if there's no reunion and Axl and Slash are just on speaking terms and only want to cooperate on GNR releases we could be in for some killer shit the next few years.

Superunknown box set was four discs. AFD in 2017 could get an almost identical release.

AFD album
AFD album track demos
demo disc with whole lotta rosie, shadow, KOHD live marquee,etc.
Ritz or Marquee show

Boom. Box set number one out of the vault.

---------

A Lies deluxe edition with Lies demos, Patience live with Henley, that club show with UTLH,OIAM,etc.
---------

Perfect Crime UYI tour documentary  11

---------

UYI box set

UYI I
UYI II
UYI demos including TSI outtakes
UYI show, hopefully from summer 91, maybe riot show

Boom. There's box set number two.

-----------

A two disc Best of collection along the lines of Telephantasm

------------

I don't consider that to be an empty vault. 16

Take into consideration that list above contains only things we know for certain exist. You start adding things into the mix like possible unused songs from TSI, a demo or two from AFD-Lies era, things get really interesting.

jimmythegent wrote:

Who do we all want on the drumstool? While the idea of Adler and Sorum alternating has merit surely Adler is too great a risk? Huge money would be on the table with major investment being ponied up by promoters - be hard to insure against that risk with a barely reformed addict on the road with a tour of that magnitude.

To that end, Sorum on his own or an entirely new drummer? Dave Grohl anyone? Josh Freese?

It may get dicey on the drummer situation. They've gotta know everyone wants Adler but that's a can of worms and a liability from hell. I don't like the idea of a rotating thing between Sorum-Adler either.

IMO that situation I mentioned where Adler gets to do the first show and then if there's a tour its Sorum is pretty realistic.

If the reunion only consists of one concert, for the love of God it has to be Adler.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I think we'd most likely see a hall of fame type scenario where both Matt and Steven are involved. Steven on AFD and Matt on the UYI stuff. I've no idea what kind of shape Stevens in these days, would he be up to it?

See for yourself. Currently taking baby steps to stay focused on the road. He certainly has his work cut out for him, reunion or not. Time will tell.

Adler's band is KILLER!!!!

Don't watch that video if you have epilepsy...

James

James wrote:

Will-

Izzy leaving left a sour taste in a lot of mouths, especially the mouths of hard core fans. Even back then when I first heard it announced I knew it was a massive blow to the band. Many others felt the same way. Also take into consideration Axl's negativity towards Izzy in 92 and beyond. That RS interview in 92 was brutal. Axl was giving his honest assessment of the Izzy situation. That's all fine and dandy but it certainly took its toll on fans perception of Izzy. Also take into consideration the puzzling "Where's Izzy?" thing that was popping up in videos which MTV were playing hourly. Also consider the fact the vids were in heavy rotation while they were touring. Hell, even casual fans and those who hated them but sat through their videos waiting for Mariah Carey could pick up on this.

Izzy did himself no favors when he came back temporarily replacing Gilby.  Its like "He's leaving AGAIN?!" This stuff happened in the pre-internet days which made it even more confusing.

That JU Ju Hounds thing has always been blown out of proportion IMO. It was really low key to begin with(video the exception) but its legacy seems to be about him "bailing" on his own band. One of the members even hinted at something like that years ago. It stuck.

As far as present day goes, like you said he has mentioned he's interested and all of the guys in the 87-91 lineups like him so I don't understand why any fans would write him off.

IF they do it, IF he wants to, he's IN. Period.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wish I had that circus mag from July 91 that shows that massive UYI tracklist including 5 or  6 tracks that wound up on TSI. I only remember DOTF, attitude, & IDCAY. there were a couple others I'm sure.

Apex??

Black Leather, New Rose were recorded in Q Sound during the UYI sessions too.

The tracks are available online, Slash mentions in his autobiography I think that it was Axl's idea about the Q Sound. Slash wasn't keen since you needed 5 speakers to be able to hear it properly.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Black Leather, New Rose

Yeah that's it. Thanks.

When Circus Magazine got the "scoop" and unveiled UYI's track list, it was everything that made it on the albums(GITR was titled "Why do you look at me when you hate me?") and also had Aint Going Down, DOTF, Attitude, IDCAY, New Rose, and Black Leather. So amazing seeing that list and knowing it was really coming. For you younger fans it would be the equivalent of CD being released but two months before release GNR posting a track list of 2 and a half albums to be released at the same time. Good times. 5

I wish the punk covers had been put on one of the 91 singles as B sides. sad

Hey Will(or anyone):

Did Izzy ever discuss working on those TSI songs?  I know he didn't give many interviews during that time frame unfortunately.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Realistically, I'd expect a "reunion" line-up to consist of:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Fortus
Dizzy
Pitman
Ferrer (maybe Sorum, depending on whether the Axl or Slash camp is running the show)

With Izzy, Adler and maybe Gilby dropping in for odd live performances. Reasons? I'd expect them to want to record at least some new material, whether that's a new album or a few new tracks tacked onto a Greatest Hits album. History's shown that Izzy isn't exactly reliable when it comes to touring, and Axl didn't consider Gilby good enough to record the follow-up to UYI back in the 90s, so why would that have changed? Dizzy and Pitman... well, why not? Might as well keep 'em in the mix.

And on a more practical level, both Ashba and Bumblefoot have left, but Fortus still appears to be in the band – he's a reliable rhythm player, can step up to shred the Buckethead parts in the unlikely event that the band is playing Chinese Democracy material, and Axl's referred to him as the band's "secret weapon". I'd say he's far more likely to be in the mix than Gilby.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

There's gotta be something we haven't heard, at least alternate versions. Weren't there supposedly a couple covers that didn't make TSI?

If not enough unheard songs for an album, put them on a best of collection.

They can release that ton of demos we've had for years. No one will complain.

As much as I want CD II I do not want them to muddy the waters with Chinese material. Keep it separate.

Wasn't there a song supposedly called Nightcrawler from the AFD era, to my knowlege that's never even popped up in demo form?

James

James wrote:

It's surreal discussing this subject knowing there's an actual chance however remote of it occurring. In all previous years of it being discussed it was just pie in the sky, wishful thinking bullshit.

elevendayempire wrote:

Realistically, I'd expect a "reunion" line-up to consist of:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Fortus
Dizzy
Pitman
Ferrer (maybe Sorum, depending on whether the Axl or Slash camp is running the show)

Question:

How is Pitman being in the lineup realistic?  No offense to Pitman whatsoever but he isn't needed for anything in a reunion. Dizzy is all that's needed in that department and if a reunion happens, I would like AFD to be performed in its entirety in the middle of the set and Dizzy is backstage while we're hearing AFD how it was meant to sound.

I don't want Frank either. Hope all CD members are kept a light year away from this. IMO Fortus is the only realistic CD era member who has a snowball's chance in hell of being involved.

elevendayempire wrote:

With Izzy, Adler and maybe Gilby dropping in for odd live performances.

I hadn't even thought of potential guest appearances. Might be cool but IMO a reunion doesn't need any surprises or "special guests". Only one that would make sense is if Izzy doesn't want to tour but decides to show up for a MSG, LA,etc. show. If Sorum gets picked I think Adler might be so pissed about it he might have no interest in showing up at one or two shows on a tour. Would just remind him of what he's missing out on. A Gilby guest appearance? He is definitely known to music fans but how much of a pop would he even get from the crowd in such a situation?

elevendayempire wrote:

Axl didn't consider Gilby good enough to record the follow-up to UYI back in the 90s, so why would that have changed?

I always felt Gilby mouthing off in that RS interview in 94 played a huge role in his dismissal, not whether or not he's good enough. Axl was on Pawnshop Guitars so everything was roses up until that point I assume. On the subject of that album, I'll never understand why Axl didn't ask him to not release Cure Me or Kill Me. That's a bad ass song and Axl could have took it to another level. Maybe its like you said, he just wasn't interested.

elevendayempire wrote:

in the unlikely event that the band is playing Chinese Democracy material

IMO there's a less than zero chance of anything off Chinese Democracy being performed. There's just no reason for any of that to be performed. If they had imploded after Lies I could see them maybe needing it to fill up a setlist. 87-91 GNR have more than enough material to handle any possible set list.

By the way, it's good to see you back. 5

A Private Eye wrote:

Wasn't there a song supposedly called Nightcrawler from the AFD era, to my knowlege that's never even popped up in demo form?

Karma for bringing that up. I had completely forgot that track. During the UYI hype that track was mentioned several times but once 91 came it dropped off the radar completely. Entered mythical track status after that.

An instrumental surfaced in 2006 but was shit quality. Unfortunately I do not have it on my computer or I would post it. That happened like 3 computers ago. 16 It might be on an old disc buried somewhere but I doubt it. I thought it sucked and I highly doubt I put it on a cd-r.

Board footer