You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Steven Tyler says that he has been working on the return of GN'R

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think the next Axl/Cobain figure in rock will be female also.

I think the deadness of modern rock gives Axl a huge opportunity with Slash back in the band.

Rock will vanish with this generation. Relegated to a fringe genre, along with the likes of metal, soul and jazz.

Currently it is being carried by old bands and their 30+ year old fans who grew up with it. Straight pop will be the only game in town going forward.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think the next Axl/Cobain figure in rock will be female also.

While not rock, the world saw its female Axl Rose hit the scene 2004-08 and her name was M.I.A. Doesn't matter whether or not someone likes her music....she was IT.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Slash McKagan wrote:

In an interview with Guitar World, AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry said about the classic lineup of GUNS N' ROSES: "[They] were great and really made a mark in rock and roll history. It's a shame that whatever energy they saw in each other on that first record they couldn't sustain. They made a great record and could have been huge all around the world for as long as they wanted."

Lies and UYI are a lot better than anything Aerosmith has done in the last 35 years too, Mr. Perry. It wasn't just Appetite. GN'R put out a shitload of great material from 87-91.

James

James wrote:

Don't even need to use 3 whole GNR albums for your statement to be true. Hell....the Lies version of You're Crazy stomps any of that Aerosmith stuff you mention.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Don't even need to use 3 whole GNR albums for your statement to be true. Hell....the Lies version of You're Crazy stomps any of that Aerosmith stuff you mention.

Hell, the Lies cover of Mama Kin is a fuckload better than anything Aerosmith has done in decades. Just saying Joe Perry seemed to be implying GN'R was a one and done thing when it wasn't.

Aerosmith never had the guts to try songs like One in a Million, Locomotive, Coma, Estranged. They went straight from some pretty great 70's hard rock to selling out their souls to the pop rock scene in the 80's. Of course the other side is AC/DC who just kept making the same music for 40+ years. Either way not exactly challenging themselves from a lyrical or musical standpoint. That is why I will always defend UYI. Are there some bad songs in there? Yeah. But there are a lot of great ones and signs of real growth from a musical/lyrical standpoint.

James

James wrote:

Great points on their transition. I actually like a bit of that late 80s material. What It Takes is one of my favorite Aerosmith songs. But yeah...Bon Jovi could've just as easily released that song.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

What's funny is the friction of different musical influence/direction is a huge reason GN'R was great and it's a big reason they broke up much faster than a band like AC/DC that just pumps out the same fucking thing for 40 years. I dig AC/DC as much as anyone and you have to admire them for soldiering on after Bon's death, but their discography suffers from "too much of the same thing" syndrome.

I look at GN'R and think yeah it sucks that they broke up after a short time but at least they went in very different directions on their 2nd and 3rd/4th records. They could have stayed together and just rehashed Appetite about 10 different times over the last 25 years. We would miss out on all the very different but legitimately great material they gave us with Lies/UYI.

James

James wrote:

I'd love to see the alternate universe where that UYI lineup releases an album in that mid late 90s climate when music like Matchbox 20, Hootie, Savage Garden, etc. was dominating the airwaves.

Strange time for huge bands. U2 with Pop and Metallica with Load.

edit:

you have to admire them for soldiering on after Bon's death, but their discography suffers from "too much of the same thing" syndrome.

Between BIB and Razor's Edge, everything besides Who Made Who is garbage.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

All this -blank- is dead talk is fucking weird. There's plenty of good music out there. Just because it's not being spoon-fed to you doesn't mean it's not there.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'd love to see the alternate universe where that UYI lineup releases an album in that mid late 90s climate when godawful shit like Matchbox 20, Hootie, Savage Garden, etc. was dominating the airwaves.

Strange time for huge bands. Fucking goddamn U2 with More Shite and fuckin Metallica with Some More Shite.

Fixed that a little for you.
Pitied the yanks and the rock music they produced from '94 onwards. Were some bad & dodgy times.

Board footer