You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Megadeth Mega Thread

James wrote:

MEGADETH's 'Dystopia' Lands At No. 3 On U.S. Chart

MEGADETH's new album, "Dystopia", debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200, having shifted 49,000 equivalent album units in the week ending January 28.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

In terms of pure album sales, "Dystopia" opened with 48,000 copies, marking MEGADETH's highest-charting album since 1992's "Countdown To Extinction" debuted and peaked at No. 2 on the chart dated August 1 of that year. "Dystopia" also logs the group's best sales week since 2007, when "United Abominations" landed at No. 8 with first-week sales of 54,000.

MEGADETH's previous album, 2013's "Super Collider", sold 29,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 6 on The Billboard 200 chart. The disc followed up "TH1RT3EN", which opened with 42,000 units back in November 2011 to enter the chart at No. 11. The band's 2009 CD, "Endgame", premiered with 45,000 copies to debut at No. 9. This was slightly less than the 54,000 first-week tally registered by 2007's "United Abominations", which entered the chart at No. 8. 2004's "The System Has Failed" premiered with 46,000 copies (No. 18) while 2001's "The World Needs A Hero" moved 61,000 units in its first week (No. 16).

Featuring 11 brand new tracks, "Dystopia" was released on both CD and LP, as well as digitally through all online partners on January 22 on Universal Music Enterprises / Tradecraft / T-Boy Records.

With musical architect and band visionary Dave Mustaine at the helm, "Dystopia" was recorded in Nashville, Tennessee and mixed by Josh Wilbur (LAMB OF GOD, GOJIRA).

The rest of the MEGADETH lineup is comprised of new member Kiko Loureiro (of ANGRA), David Ellefson on bass, and drummer Chris Adler, who took time away from LAMB OF GOD to record "Dystopia".

Recently, MEGADETH announced the details for the North American leg of their "Dystopia" world tour, which will kick off in Dallas, Texas on February 20. The North American leg will take them across the U.S, visiting 12 states and throughout Canada.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megade … u-s-chart/

--------------

Crazy how 49k sales can get you the number 3 slot on the top 200.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Especially when it counts digital too.

Would have thought Mustaine had more fans than that. Do you know the numbers for the recent SG albums?

AtariLegend wrote:

Honestly though, for all my Dave defending, like others United Abominations was the last album of theirs I bought. I didn't dislike it, I guess I just didn't follow the band that closely.

I like Megadeth, but for some reasons the bands I follow most closely don't pump out an album every couple of years tongue.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Especially when it counts digital too.

Would have thought Mustaine had more fans than that. Do you know the numbers for the recent SG albums?

King Animal sold 83k copies in its first week here in the US. Solid numbers but they promoted the hell out of it.  Second week it sold 21k here. First year after its release it sold 207k copies.  I don't know its up to date numbers but two years of touring after its release surely caused it to pull in more numbers.

The fact they they continually released material didn't help King Animal's sales one bit. Telephantasm piggybacked the Rock Band craze and went platinum instantly. Then of course the re-release of the entire discography, Superunknown box set, Live on I5, and Echo of Miles box set. They almost released too much material. 16

Album sales don't seem to be fueling the reunion or they would've spaced out those releases.

One other thing, some grunge fans like to say AIC's reunion has been more successful than SG's. Its not.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I need to give Dystopia a listen.     So strange that you can sell less than 50k and crack the top 3.    No one buys music anymore, its all spoitify, pandora, etc.. stream whatever you want, why buy it I guess.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I need to give Dystopia a listen.     So strange that you can sell less than 50k and crack the top 3.    No one buys music anymore, its all spoitify, pandora, etc.. stream whatever you want, why buy it I guess.

Yep.  I subscribe to Spotify, so I haven't bought this yet, even though I love the album and have played it at least 10 time already.  I'll eventually get around to buying it, but I'm in no hurry. I'll probably wait for it to come out on vinyl.

Great album though, real return to their 90's sound.  \m/ \m/

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

(Classic Rock) Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine says he is considering re-recording the band's biggest hits with the current lineup. Asked whether he had given any thought to re-recording 1985 debut Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good with bassist Dave Ellefson, drummer Chris Adler and lead guitarist Kiko Loureiro, the frontman says that isn't on the cards.
But he did say he could be tempted to capture some of the band's classic songs with the fresh lineup. Mustaine tells Musik Universe in a new online video interview:

"If I did go back and record any old songs, it would probably be like a brand new interpretation of our greatest hits, because I think that focusing on any one record and showing an interpretation of all of our great songs by a new lineup would be more exciting. You never know. We might do that." Watch the full interview here: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/20 … assic-hits

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I did like his re-recording of A Tout Le Mode he did about 10 years back.   Brought in a female singer to duet.   

Could be cool to get modern recordings of the best Megadeth songs.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I did like his re-recording of A Tout Le Mode he did about 10 years back.   Brought in a female singer to duet.   

Could be cool to get modern recordings of the best Megadeth songs.

That was fucking awful. I hope he takes more care on any  other tracks he decides to do.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I was very underwhelmed by everything Megadeth had put out since Endgame. That record was a masterpiece, and I expected more of the same, and was profoundly disappointed. Twice.

On a side note:

The Tout Le Mode re-record was disgustingly bad. It was a pile of hot shit.

Dystopia is the follow up to Endgame I've been waiting for and then some. It's absolutely delightful. It's disturbing how the man can put out albums as brilliant as this and Endgame, and also put out such uninspired trash like Thirteen and Supercollider.

Board footer