You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

Re: What's your dream song inclusion for these shows?

DtM51 wrote:

Chinese songs: Chinese democracy, Riad, There was a Time, I.R.S., Prostitute

UYI: Dead Horse, 14 years, yesterdays, Pretty Tied Up, Estranged, Civil War, YCBM, Locomotive, The Garden

Appetite: Out ta Get Me, Think About You, Nightrain, My Michelle, Its So Easy, Brownstone, Rocket Queen, Crazy (slow)

Covers: The Seeker, Sympathy for the Devil, Whole lotta Rosie, Slither

Songs that I wouldn't mind not hearing (Only to make room for others)

KOHD, LALD, i know its crazy but..Sweet Child, November Rain

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

Coma and Breakdown, that would be the dream. And it will stay a dream forever 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Covers: Sympathy for the Devil,

Talk about opening up a can of worms. 16 Might as well have Paul come up there during the song....wouldn't make its performance any more uncomfortable.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Some songs won't happen because Axl can't sing them anymore.

Perfect Crime
Coma
Locomotive
Don't Damn Me (couldn't sing it back then)

Songs he could do:

PTU
DTJ
The Garden
Breakdown
Ain't It Fun
Sympathy For The Devil
Catcher

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Perfect Crime

It was on the infamous deleted HTGTH setlist in 2006 at least, just never played live. I don't think it's that impossible for it to be played.

Yes a decade has past, but they also changed tracks and dropped Think Abut You ect. so they could play more Chinese Democracy tracks and random covers like Riff Raff.

Coma is probably the least likely track in the discography.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Perfect Crime
Coma
Locomotive
Don't Damn Me (couldn't sing it back then)

I really hope Axl proves fans wrong on this issue.  Soundgarden played some songs fans claimed he'd never be able to perform again this late in the game.

This is the 'Coma' of Badmotorfinger. Here it is last year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeMtV7yFEw

Are the screams/vocals as intense as they were 25 years ago? No but it still kicks major ass and I can assure you it sounds even better when you're standing right there hearing it.

If Axl has some difficulty....just take it down a notch like SG did with Birth Ritual...

IMO all GNR songs are in contention at this point. I think rotating set lists are going to be key if we are going to get any of what fans consider impossible tracks for him to sing.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I really hope Axl proves fans wrong on this issue.

Haha how often has this been said over the years?! & how often has he risen above our expectations?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I think he's perfectly capable of singing those songs, but he probably wouldn't want to do it every night – just like Prostitute and TWAT only got broken out on special occasions.

I mean, it'd be great if he defied expectations by opening with Perfect Crime instead of the widely anticipated WTTJ. And adding Don't Damn Me to the setlist would be a clever move – in terms of live performance it's effectively a new old song from the UYI era.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

TheMole wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

So, I figured I'd try to put together a (somewhat) realistic setlist. This is based on the best-case scenario rumours that have been floating around – Izzy and Adler doing guest spots, a VR track, some Chinese Democracy material included and a new song (as per the rumours floating around, it's Atlas Shrugged – subbed in for Catcher, since it's allegedly a similar piano-led track).

I've tried to apply some rational thought to the setlist – it's loosely based on the most recent gigs, as this is effectively a "continuation" of Axl's GN'R with Slash and Duff subbed in for Tommy and DJ/Bumble. I've added solo spots and Izzy/Duff-led songs so Axl can go and huff oxygen backstage, assumed that they'll break out the tracks they've historically played and in roughly the same order, tried to balance fast/slow stuff and albums of different material in there. And I stuck Sailing in there 'cause why not? smile

Intro (The General)
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Estranged
Fortus solo (James Bond theme)
Live and Let Die
This I Love
So Fine (Duff vocals)
Dizzy solo (Another Brick in the Wall?)
Atlas Shrugged
14 Years (Izzy vocals)
Fall To Pieces
You Could Be Mine
Slash solo (Godfather)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Civil War
Axl piano jam
November Rain
You're Crazy (slow)
Yesterdays
Slash/Fortus guitar duet (Beautiful?)
Rocket Queen (Adler guest drums)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Madagascar
Patience
Nightrain

Encore
Sailing
Don't Cry (Adler/Izzy guest)
Paradise City (Adler/Izzy guest)

That's a fine setlist, but with only two CD songs I would hardly call that a continuation of Axl's GNR.

If I were to build on this, I'd drop some of the slower/piano stuff (and if Atlas Shrugged really is yet another piano ballad, I'd hope they debut another new song instead) and substitute for more rockers. For Axl to save face, I think you'd need to include CD, and given that it's a rocker that's easy for him to sing I'm betting it'll be in there (and I don't mind). If Pitman is really out, I think they'll drop Maddy. Since the better rockers on CD are sort off out of character for classic Guns, it might be better to pick up Slither and/or Set Me Free instead of adding Scrapped and Shackler's. I'm on the fence about Better, and really don't like Riad.

So how about this:

Welcome to the Jungle
Chinese Democracy
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Slither
Fortus solo (James Bond theme)
Live and Let Die
This I Love
So Fine (Duff vocals)
14 Years (Izzy vocals)
Fall To Pieces
You Could Be Mine
Set Me Free
Slash solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Civil War
Axl piano jam
November Rain
You're Crazy (slow)
Yesterdays
Slash/Fortus guitar duel
Rocket Queen (Adler guest drums)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Patience
Nightrain

Encore
Don't Cry (Adler/Izzy guest)
Paradise City (Adler/Izzy guest)

Yeah – looking back on it, it does lean rather heavily on slower tracks. Mind you, of the CD-era rockers there aren't many that lend themselves to Slash, and are popular. CD itself has that lengthy intro, which would make it an odd fit for midway through the show. Better is probably the most popular, but it's 1) quite slow-paced and 2) I'm not sure how Finck's ear-jangling riffs would work with Slash playing them.

Much depends on what sort of song Atlas Shrugged is, of course. And hell, maybe Slash fancies shredding over Shackler's Revenge.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I just want Axl to be back to screaming, and if he is I want There Was A Time with slash.....that would pretty much blow my mind.

Board footer