You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

Axlin16 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

My only complaint with that set is the seeker. I'd either trade it for a CD era song, or one of the more exciting covers. It's a very bland song.

I wonder if they play that to give Axl's voice a rest ahead of Paradise City? Since it's not very taxing for him to sing…

This.

First off, The Seeker is a Who classic. It's not a bland song. But regardless of your opinion of it, it's a song that in 2012-16 that Axl can vocally NAIL, without any difficulty. It fits his voice, and he seems to know how to sing it right.

It's an easy song for him to sing, and not sound like a fool.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh and by the way... based on the Mickey Mouse I heard out of Axl's voice on Paradise City tonight...

There is NO FUCKING WAY he gets that AC/DC gig. No fucking way. Axl might be good for a few AC/DC Bon Scott-era songs, he might have the rasp for Shoot To Thrill and then he'd be Mickey Mouse for the entire show.

AC/DC's fans would never forgive him or Angus for ending that band that way. They might want to go with that kid from Airbourne... or hell, Udo Dirkschneider.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh and by the way... based on the Mickey Mouse I heard out of Axl's voice on Paradise City tonight...

There is NO FUCKING WAY he gets that AC/DC gig. No fucking way. Axl might be good for a few AC/DC Bon Scott-era songs, he might have the rasp for Shoot To Thrill and then he'd be Mickey Mouse for the entire show.

AC/DC's fans would never forgive him or Angus for ending that band that way. They might want to go with that kid from Airbourne... or hell, Udo Dirkschneider.

I wonder if AC/DC isn't planning to do a Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert type deal. Get a rotating cast of guest vocalists in to do a couple of songs each. Pretty much the only way they can placate the fanbase – "Look, Brian's out but we got every single major rock vocalist to replace him!"

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That's the only way it's gonna work. Angus daughter (I think) keeps swearing they're gonna take their time, and wait and see if something can be worked out with Brian. Then again there's an entire other group that says Brian is done and has already been handed his walking papers.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Well, it's happened, it's real. Axl and Slash are back.

Question is: Where do we go now?

Will they make new music, or is this a retirement tour then it's back to Conspirators and Scrabble?

It'll happen as long as Axl's voice holds up. They can tour behind this for years to come. At least 2 years with a couple new songs (a rocker, a ballad) and a cover song, throw that on a 2-disc "Best of" (ala Red, White & Crue) and they could tour for a 2 years on it.

Next year bring out Izzy & Steven for a handful of shows for the AFD reunion. Do a big deluxe release of that. Hold off 'til the end of 2017, drop the next album (that was already waiting with touches from Slash & Duff). Drop the new album at the end of the year.

Tour until 2019 on that.

Take a year off. Maybe two.

Then announce a Retirement tour. Put out another rocker, ballad & cover and throw them on a ONE DISC Greatest Hits.

Tour behind it for 2 years.

Axl retires forever in 2021-22

That's my opinion on how I see this going down. We'll get at least ONE new studio LP, and the collective equivalent of an EP spanned over 3-4 years.

Beyond that... from this band? Anything more is a bonus. Maybe put out a live album or two.

jmho (don't shoot)

I also think it will play out in a similar fashion.

It's pretty much a guarantee we get that Telephantasm/Red, White, and Crue later this year.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

aaxll_PNG_8e66d65d5645145a2d74c4ff3363775d.jpg

Decent setlist, I'm interested in hearing how CD and Better sound with Slash on board. I think the Seeker is pretty weak as well, but I agree its easy for Axl to sing and probably gives him a rest.

Disappointed Steven wasnt there, I've realised I want to see him behind the kit more than anything now, I love his playing, smiles and uplifting energy, hope he'll get a chance somewhere down the line.

I can live without Izzy, but I would defo want to see him at some point, an AFD5 performance has gotta be on the cards next year.

I'm glad Pitmans out, the guys a plonker.

I think we will see Izzy, Steven and Matt make appearances eventually, I think Axl just doesnt want to feel outnumbered and out gunned, I'm sure theres some comfort for him in having a few of the most laid back and non offensive nu-gnr touring buddies still being there for him.

From the clips I've seen it looked like Axl was the most comfortable out there, which surprised me. Cant help thinking it must be a looooong time since Slash played that late at night.

It was a pretty cramped stage though, next week should be a different beast altogether. Good times a coming 9

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Just woke up. Axl looks and sounds pretty good. So surreal seeing those guys back on stage together.

The set list wasn't groundbreaking, but I like the selection and the order. Slash playing on CD songs, can't wait to hear that.

Agree with other sentiments that we'll get material out of this. Axl looks to be really enjoying himself.

Fuck me, great times ahead.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

Yeah, Slash and Duff didn't look comfortable. But Axl seemed to be enjoying himself.

It was a momentous occasion, not sure what to make of it though. I was ready for the F&F line-up, but it really seemed like Steven at least would appear. I too have come to realise how much he his missed, his energy adds something.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

AtomsNest wrote:

Yeah, Slash and Duff didn't look comfortable. But Axl seemed to be enjoying himself.

Well, why wouldn't he? After years of being pilloried by the media and fans and painted as the "bad guy", he gets to be the hero for once.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slash and Duff needs time to get used to it. For Axl it's a familiar setting, just two old friends joining him, taking the heat off. S&D haven't been part of this since 93.

Board footer