You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: 19/4/16 FORO SOL, MEXICO CITY, MEXICO

tejastech08 wrote:

65,500 attendance. That's amazing. The Rolling Stones averaged 58,784 for their two shows at the same stadium in March 2016.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com … VgB165CD0A

I figure considering the band kicked total ass, Word of Mouth will be very strong and tonight's show should be able to pull off a similar sellout with over 60,000 people.

aahn1Zn.png

johndivney wrote:

65,500 on a wet Tuesday night? Those Mexicans love a party..

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsiiqqOo04

[/embed]

The sea of cigarette lighters you used to see at gigs is back, in the form of smart phones! I can't take my eyes away from the crowd. It's like watching one of those parodies about the future.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

13000228_1026527487438697_7719128162073543918_n_zpsnpkqxbj4.jpg

Thanks to Jim.

Those might be smiles...

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Is this the earliest GNR have gone on stage.... like... ever?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

Nah.. They used to go on early all the time.

The show usually starts around seven
We go on stage around nine
Get on the bus about eleven
Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

Nah.. They used to go on early all the time.

The show usually starts around seven
We go on stage around nine
Get on the bus about eleven
Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

yikes

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

That's the benefit of this happening in 2016 instead of 2006. Right now GN'R are the only locomotive in town. All the other big bands are been there done that, and there's nothing new coming up. GN'R being the last and youngest of those bands lands them in a sort of "last man on Earth status". Like the movie "Children of Men", only here we have a situation where no new rock acts are being born.

Yeah it's funny. The hipster Cobain worshipers in the 1990's tried to drive a stake in the heart of GNR's credibility. Axl certainly helped them with the ridiculous horn section and whatnot. He gave them even more ammo in their attempt to pigeonhole Guns with other far less talented, far less accomplished bands of the 1980's.

But in the end, hipster grunge ended up killing rock and roll even quicker than corporate hair metal. Ultimately your legacy rests in the songwriting and GN'R put together incredible songs that will outlive all of us by centuries.

And now it all comes full circle with Cobain's right hand man giving Axl the iron throne for his foot injury and then hanging out at the GN'R gigs in Vegas. Cobain was a hipster poser IMHO. Talented rocker but so are the GN'R guys. And I would bet he secretly loved Appetite and respected their songwriting on stuff like Patience/Estranged.

GNR, Metalica, and Aerosmith couldn't be lumped in with all of that irrelevant hair metal of the late 80s/90-91. It wasn't even truly attempted although like you said there were some digs about the bloated UYI tour/Estranged video. They were simply too cool to pigeonhole. I love the musical melting pot of 1991. We'll never see anything like it again.

Cobain was a hipster poser IMHO.

Both sides of the extreme give Cobain too much credit....from those claiming he was Lennon of Gen X to the poser label. Cobain accidentally stumbled into his situation and never intended for it to happen. I'm not a Nirvana fan by any means(only like a couple songs, Teen Spirit not one of them)n and think he is massively overrated but without him the early 90s do not play out like it did. I think a musical shift was coming no matter what. Once Cherry Pie, Trixter, G rated rap, another dose of New Kids on the Block, etc, happened in 1990 the world was begging for something different on the airwaves.

All that was required to get things underway is a monster single. We Die Young/Man in the Box, Outshined, and then Alive/Evenflow were certainly a change and while I think those songs could have been pushed to the moon by MTV, they lack the universal catch of Teen Spirit.

Cobain and Cornell instantly hated the movement they spawned. It became instant parody the moment it got underway. Even though I loved some of those Seattle bands, I also hated how much it impacted everything and was not sad to see it fade away so quickly. Seeing rich girls shop at thrift stores and watching them, nerds, and jocks pretend to be depressed got old fast. Did you ever watch the TV show My So Called Life? It came out at the tail end of grunge but its a perfect snapshot of this culture here in the US. Enough is enough. This show was critically acclaimed but was canceled and rightfully so.

The unfortunate thing about the demise of grunge is there was no proper movement to follow it. Rap also went mainstream during the grunge years and once grunge faded, rap basically took over everything and we still feel the impact of this today. The mid-late 90s a very strange time musically with girl power, boy bands, Britpop, nu-metal,etc. fighting for the scraps.

The comparison to Stones statistics is amazing. I knew this had potential to be massive. Anyone doubting the chance for success of this stadium tour need to look at that again. If you can pull in more fans than the Stones, chances for failure are hovering around less than zero percent.

The sea of cigarette lighters you used to see at gigs is back, in the form of smart phones! I can't take my eyes away from the crowd. It's like watching one of those parodies about the future.

I'm not gonna go on another cell phone rant but damn that is realy bad. If I had been in that crowd I would be the only person there not doing that.

people even jump while still making sure they have that damn phone pointed at the stage. Unreal. I understand people wanting a few pics of the show but standing there the whole show holding that like a zombie is just out of this world. For Vegas I was glad some people were recording this stuff for everyone but that was a historic moment(same with Troubadour). 60k people doing it at the same time really shows how much of an epidemic this really is. I now cherish that Buckethead concert in Frisco five years ago now more than ever. It was a small club and we were immediately told no recording/pics were allowed. Someone in the back recorded a few songs but up in the front people were not willing to risk losing their cameras/phones. We all just relaxed and enjoyed the show. It was like going back in time. Thanks Bucket. bucket

Do people in the bleachers do this shit? Hell in the vid apex posted those people are too far away to bother recording anything. Put the phone away and enjoy the show for fucks sake. I have not bought Frisco tickets yet but I assume I will be on the floor and I am definitely moving close to the stage while everyone else is glued to their phone.

If GNR bust out something unique in Frisco, all the forums better hope a forum junkie besides me is there to record it. 16

ID that is a great pic of Axl and Slash. I'm so glad they are enjoying it and its not just a "cash grab".

Gagarin wrote:

Haven't hit the stage this early since the Stones tour in 89.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Both sides of the extreme give Cobain too much credit....from those claiming he was Lennon of Gen X to the poser label. Cobain accidentally stumbled into his situation and never intended for it to happen. I'm not a Nirvana fan by any means(only like a couple songs, Teen Spirit not one of them)n and think he is massively overrated but without him the early 90s do not play out like it did. I think a musical shift was coming no matter what. Once Cherry Pie, Trixter, G rated rap, another dose of New Kids on the Block, etc, happened in 1990 the world was begging for something different on the airwaves.

All that was required to get things underway is a monster single. We Die Young/Man in the Box, Outshined, and then Alive/Evenflow were certainly a change and while I think those songs could have been pushed to the moon by MTV, they lack the universal catch of Teen Spirit.

Cobain and Cornell instantly hated the movement they spawned. It became instant parody the moment it got underway. Even though I loved some of those Seattle bands, I also hated how much it impacted everything and was not sad to see it fade away so quickly. Seeing rich girls shop at thrift stores and watching them, nerds, and jocks pretend to be depressed got old fast. Did you ever watch the TV show My So Called Life? It came out at the tail end of grunge but its a perfect snapshot of this culture here in the US. Enough is enough. This show was critically acclaimed but was canceled and rightfully so.

The reason I call him a poser is all that public fighting with GN'R. Axl was one of the earliest people to give Nirvana big push and even asked them to tour with GN'R. Kurt pulls out the stuck up nonsense about how GN'R is everything wrong with music or whatever. Total bullshit IMHO. A talented musician like him would know just how great Appetite was. I don't believe for one second that he truly hated GN'R like he portrayed to the public. Duff pretty much confirmed it himself with the comments about that plane ride before Cobain passed away.

While Aerosmith is a great band, I feel they did tarnish their legacy in the 80's and 90's. Same goes for KISS. Both of them became total fucking sellouts. Some might say the same thing about GN'R, but I think a lot of the UYI stuff was just Axl's bizarre vision. Over the top? Yeah. But it all felt pretty genuine in terms of his own pretentiousness. He wasn't running to some pop writer to help him come up with a song (Don't Wanna Miss a Thing), etc. November Rain was in the works when Axl was still a fucking gutter rat. Likewise with Don't Cry. Without those songs you lose half of the GN'R sound. Why call your band Guns N' Roses if you're really just Guns all the time?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Well I agree with most of that I suppose.....especially how Cobain more than likely was listening to AFD. Everyone was listening to that 87-89. I doubt he was the lone holdout. 16

Yeah when that story came out how Duff was one of the last people to speak to him it definitely raised some eyebrows. It made you wonder if the feud was more or less a work to just hype the two.

Aerosmith may have sold out but it was the only way for them to enter the mainstream again. If they hadn't, they'd be at Foghat level now. Nobody in the 80s gave a rat's patootie about Aerosmith until Walk this Way with Run DMC. Just hearing that song now(which is a rarity) reminds me of this teen guy back then who would walk around with his ghetto blaster on his shoulder playing that song over and over full blast thinking he was the cat's meow, blissfully unaware how he looked like a total douchebag for buying the tape but only listening to that one song.

Don't Wanna Miss a Thing

God I hate that song. Then and now. It was their jump the shark moment. Permanent Vacation and Pump at least felt a bit genuine.  That song was a massive summer anthem of 98 but they never recovered from it. In fact, I cant even name one song relesed after it. I remember the name of that Honkin on Hobbo album or whatever but nothing else.

Board footer