You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Re: 7/5/16 Lisbon, Portugal AC/DC (First Show With Axl)

This is like old school rasp here..

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Every single song is of the same, or even better, caliber as well. It is truly incredible.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Every comment on that video is full of praise, and who can blame them. A few weeks ago I thought Axl was singing good, but not as good as peak 06-10. These however are 80s level performances. The consistency can be attributed to sitting in a chair, but you don't hit those hard notes if the voice isn't there. What a comeback.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

Every comment on that video is full of praise, and who can blame them. A few weeks ago I thought Axl was singing good, but not as good as peak 06-10. These however are 80s level performances. The consistency can be attributed to sitting in a chair, but you don't hit those hard notes if the voice isn't there. What a comeback.

Like I said: the chair may be the best thing that ever happened to Axl.

He's sitting in one place, so he's able to sing at his full capacity – there are no out-of-context video clips of him sounding bad 'cause he's been running around and he's out of puff. The fact that it was lent to him by Dave Grohl has deprived the press of the opportunity to trot out the old "Nirvana-GN'R feud" story and paint Axl in a bad light. It's allowed him to show how dedicated he is to the fans, by performing in spite of his injury. It's the best PR he could've hoped for.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

The chair has helped. Focus, breath and performing while injured does make him come across as a trooper to the fans and critics. So weird that that it took all these years and for him to be fronting a different albeit legendary band to get this kind of good publicity and reviews. Unreal. He is singing his ass off no doubt. One thing I've been thinking about is Rock Or Bust(the song)is your basic generic(don't mean to bash it)song. It's the type of song AC/DC has been playing now for years. They put out an album every few years or whatever and tour behind it. They play a couple of the sings from the new album and then all the classics. It's a proven successful formula. It just fucking works. I guess my point is that shit man, Axl could have been following this formula all these years instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. He sounds so damn good on ROB. If Guns does ever record another album I just hope he doesn't over think things. Straight ahead rockers and never breaking up would have kept them way more than relevant even in this piss poor music world we live in now. Sorry for the rambling. Just really happy right now and I still love this site even though I never post.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The chair helps, but the rehearsals are probably helping a lot for the AC/DC side of it. Maybe he will realize this is what he should do with GN'R all the time.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

This is like old school rasp here..

[/embed]

The fucker is on his A-game!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

rose22 wrote:

I guess my point is that shit man, Axl could have been following this formula all these years instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. He sounds so damn good on ROB. If Guns does ever record another album I just hope he doesn't over think things. Straight ahead rockers and never breaking up would have kept them way more than relevant even in this piss poor music world we live in now.

God, no. Fun as it is to watch Axl belting out straightforward rock-n-rollers, he's capable of so much more. His lyrical turn of phrase and aspirations towards doing something more intricate and layered than three-chord rockers are what lifted GN'R above the herd. Would you really rather have the outro lyrics to Catcher in the Rye or "In rock we trust/it's rock or bust" repeated ad infinitum? We have Myles Kennedy for simplistic rhymes sung at volume.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
rose22 wrote:

I guess my point is that shit man, Axl could have been following this formula all these years instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. He sounds so damn good on ROB. If Guns does ever record another album I just hope he doesn't over think things. Straight ahead rockers and never breaking up would have kept them way more than relevant even in this piss poor music world we live in now.

God, no. Fun as it is to watch Axl belting out straightforward rock-n-rollers, he's capable of so much more. His lyrical turn of phrase and aspirations towards doing something more intricate and layered than three-chord rockers are what lifted GN'R above the herd. Would you really rather have the outro lyrics to Catcher in the Rye or "In rock we trust/it's rock or bust" repeated ad infinitum? We have Myles Kennedy for simplistic rhymes sung at volume.

I don't think he's referring to the crappy lyrics of recent AC/DC albums but simply using that cycle with more AFD type material every few years.

I'd also prefer that over getting one album every 20 years. Would you prefer Atlas Shrugged stay locked up in a vault or get a kick ass GNR rock album every three years or so? I'll take the latter. We're running out of road here. They're not getting any younger and neither are we. The spring chicken days long gone. If we're lucky there's a 10 year window, maybe 15 max and I have no desire for another CD saga.

CD was basically just UYI III with a rotating cast. It is a good album that had killer demos but IMO it was not worth that ungodly wait.

I've said this since the reunion rumors started last year but throw these guys in a studio for a couple weeks and they can come up with something just like this...

or this...

I'll take something like that over anything on CD any day of the week. It's catchy, it kicks ass, doesn't need to be in cut and paste purgatory, and it wont rot in a vault for 10 years. Release material like that and let Axl toy around with the tenth solo on Atlas Shrugged and bury a few harmonicas and a dog whistle in the song during his downtime while the world enjoys an actual GNR album. 9

Good to see ya back Rose.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

Thanks James. Yeah that's what I meant. I mean I know how talented he is believe me but like you said time is of the essence and he wasted a lot of time. His talent shines through on the song ROB. He makes it sound cooler than it really is if that makes sense.

Board footer