You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:

Farrell has the look but not the material. Oliver Stone fell for the idea of Alexander being a romantic fairy. In reality he was a man who slaughtered every man, woman and child in a city if it suited his strategy.

Photography, sets and costumes are great though. The Gaugamela battle gets props for being the most accurate ancient battle ever put on film, and Hydaspes river while wildly inaccurate (though sort of authentic) is a major visual and emotional spectacle. I also greatly enjoy Val Kilmer in the role of Philip. Jolie, Farrell and Leto are major bummers though, and the child actor is terrible. As a whole the film is a miss, but the good parts are just enough for me to keep watching it. As far as epics in the ancient world goes it is actually closer to the top than the bottom.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

South Park making fun of Slash: http://watchcartoonsonline.eu/watch/sou … sociation/

Slash will do anything for money!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Oliver Stone fell for the idea of Alexander being a romantic fairy. In reality he was a man who slaughtered every man, woman and child in a city if it suited his strategy.

There's one figure in history who begs for a major film......

Adolf Hitler.

Eventually he will get the Spielberg/Stone/another famous director treatment. Hitler was a very complex individual who did so many things so any film about him will be controversial. In the book 'Explaining Hitler', they cover many aspects of his life and Rosenbaum brings up an excellent point....Hitler is getting a 21st century makeover. The supremely evil Hitler of old has become "he wasn't worse than Stalin". The architect of the Holocaust has become a passive figure who simply watched events out of his control unfold. In the 2010s...he's an internet meme.

It would be very easy to make a film where the Holocaust is in the background or even sidestepped completely. Make the film about his youth and when it transitions into covering his adult years, start with him talking his way out of a lengthy jail sentence for the putsch, show the recession unfolding that almost destroys Germany, and Hitler rises to "save the day" and people who were previously starving are now gorging themselves on duck, lobster, and rolls. The end.

I don't like it when people such as Stone and Spielberg take liberties with historical figures. They come up with their own version of events and pass it off as truth.....Stone with JFK and Spielberg with Schindler's List. Both are great films but you don't need to embelish or even create fictional characters to tell those incredible stories.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I too always thought a movie about how Hitler came to be would be interesting. As for the Holocaust, take it head on.  How did Germany elect someone capable of bringing it to that point?!  I watched a few shoddy documentaries on him on Netflix, and it seems Germany was in a bad recession in the 1920s, as they tried mingling with other European countries. Then Hitler rose as this pro-Germany candidate, and Germans adored him.  He seemed more legitimate at first, then it started to unravel over time. Then he knew he was just flat out illegal and a essentially a murderer.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

A proper Hitler movie is at least 50 years into the future imo. If you are going to do a real bio and not just revisit the tired "look how evil he is!" there will have to be parts showing his good qualities. Think Napoleon movies from our times, he was nearly as big a villain as Hitler two centuries ago. They don't necessarily praise him, but they show him in a fairly objective light these days.

I don't think I've yet seen a film where Hitler is represented as anything but bad through and through, and I don't think men like that are able to fool 50 million people without some redeeming qualities. Is the world ready for a depiction where WWII wasn't started just because a single man woke up one day with insidious plans? Sadly I don't think so.

Would have to be a tv series if they did though. A film wouldn't be able to contain such a grand story.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Der Untergang will always be the best portrayal of Hitler in a movie regardless. Bruno Ganz was "robbed" of an Oscar considering his performance.

But if they ever do decide to record his lifetime from birth to death I think that they should look to Band of Brothers and its TV route for inspiration.

We are indeed dealing with a scope that is simply far too big for a mere standalone feature film.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah the story is too complex. Like polluxlm said, not everything he did was evil. He literaly saved Germany.....before destroying it. There's an emotional speech of Hitler's when he's running for president(before he became Chancellor) when he's talking about men and women killing themselves because they cant feed their families. It packs a punch.

Just covering his years as Chancellor would require two films because you can separate his reign into two terms....the first six years where he impresses the world with his accomplishments, the last six years where he takes mankind down the express elevator to hell.

One thing his life story lacks is all the pieces to the puzzle. Its what helps make him such a mysterious figure. A drug fueled lunatic no doubt, but what led him to that point? Do we blame it on that or do we take Mein Kampf literally? Does his abnormal sexuality take him down the road to hell? What happened during the "lost years"? What about his childhood and his idolation of his mother? Some like to blame his horrors on Hitler being the ultimate coward but a guy who happily volunteers for the most dangerous jobs in WWI(carrier, spotter) is NOT a coward. Far from it.

CSS that is definitely a great film. I should watch it again.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Saw Captain America: Civil War last night. It's up there as some of Marvel Studios' best work so far. It's alot of fun. Black Panther is the highlight besides the new Spiderman.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Saw the jungle book last night...bill murray and Christopher walken were pretty awesome

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Saw Captain America: Civil War last night. It's up there as some of Marvel Studios' best work so far. It's alot of fun. Black Panther is the highlight besides the new Spiderman.

Agreed about Panther and spidey. Although I'm not sold on the suit. It seems as if it was all CGI except for the one scene where he had half the mask off laying down.

I thought the movie was decent. Not great. But good.

Board footer