You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: GN'R Twitter Updates

otto wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

[/embed]
All the good times that money can buy /sarcasm

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
otto wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

[/embed]
All the good times that money can buy /sarcasm

Hahaha. Yep!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's still a mindfuck for me to see all this stuff. Axl at rehearsal? Axl & Slash together again? Axl happy?

I gotta be honest, I haven't see Axl this thrilled to be alive and in the business since the 1988 videos when they were all hungry and all hitting and Axl looked thrilled to be alive.

Then the fall by 1989, and he never really recovered. I haven't seen him in this good of spirits since the AFD days.

James

James wrote:

He's on top of the world again. The days of the media jokes and other shit are ancient history.

The world always wanted to embrace him again.......now they get to.

I never bought the media conspiracy. He's always been loved or people love to hate him. Always one of the world's most recognizable figures....up there with Jordan, Ali, US presidents, etc.  The guy can fart and it make yahoo/google news. In the CD era, he just wasn't taken seriously and he never engaged properly with the media/fans.

Even though he's not constantly doing interviews or anything of that nature, his position in the world is evolving and morphing back to what it was in the early-mid 90s but without the controversy.

Its the greatest time to be a GNR fan. The sky is the limit and I hope he continues to enjoy it. He's back on his throne where he always belonged. Everything we've seen this year is everything that was missing 1999-2015....and I'm not just talking about Slash and Duff.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

He's on top of the world again. The days of the media jokes and other shit are ancient history.

The world always wanted to embrace him again.......now they get to.

I never bought the media conspiracy. He's always been loved or people love to hate him. Always one of the world's most recognizable figures....up there with Jordan, Ali, US presidents, etc.  The guy can fart and it make yahoo/google news. In the CD era, he just wasn't taken seriously and he never engaged properly with the media/fans.

Even though he's not constantly doing interviews or anything of that nature, his position in the world is evolving and morphing back to what it was in the early-mid 90s but without the controversy.

Its the greatest time to be a GNR fan. The sky is the limit and I hope he continues to enjoy it. He's back on his throne where he always belonged. Everything we've seen this year is everything that was missing 1999-2015....and I'm not just talking about Slash and Duff.

Ummm yeah... and no. I DO buy the media conspiracy. Axl in alot of ways is like Trump. A very polarizing figure. Some love him. Some hate him. But right now a decision has been made by the masses to love him, both Axl & Trump. Anybody who comes after them is going to get a huge negative reaction back from a certain camp, and right now certain outlets are skiddish to do so. They're just too popular.

Axl was NOT in this position in the early 90's. The rise of grunge, the popularity of Cobain who had it out of him and was an attention seeker who picked on him to get attention, and the media loved creating controversy around Axl. From One in a Million, to the Freddie Mercury Tribute show (even today Axl gasps by the media when it's brought up, almost as if bracing himself for what comes next), then the Oprah shit in the mid-90's, accusations of sexual abuse by Erin & Steph, the drudging up of his past & childhood by the media. What made him a monster, blah blah blah. roll

People still loved him. But the media... the media are the media. It's like The Dark Knight. The media will make Axl whatever they NEED him to do be. Right now rock needs a shot in the arm, and to many millions Axl & Slash and the return of the last great rock band to roam the earth is the hero the people WANT.

I hate to say this, but as soon as the news gets slow, and GN'R slows down, and the music press ain't pressin' as much, suddenly the PC culture will go back and listen to GN'R Lies on Spotify and everything will come back and start all over again, and in this PC culture ... he'll be dead and done.

I'm just waiting, sadly. hmm

The media loves to build you up, then tear you back down. Michael Jackson. Axl Rose. Britney Spears. Justin Bieber...

James

James wrote:

I see your point to a degree and I'll use the CD saga as an example.....

1998-99

Major headline at the time: What the world needs now is Axl Rose (Spin 98)

He goes on MTV discussing OMG, Live Era, etc. GNR vids go into rotation(mainly Live Era Jungle)

Fan reception to OMG is lukewarm at best. The buzz is dying. Woodstock rumors die on the vine.

2000-01

Media was in love with him. They wanted the comeback and when Rio happened, they raved on the new material.

The VMAs were a massive buzz. Good or bad, for a week its all the world talked about. From great grandmas to gang bangers were snake dancing down the street.  Of course, this is also the year it all imploded.

2003-05

Now this is when the media turned the whole thing into a pop culture joke. To this day I am unsure of the origins of this approach. Many magazines(Blender #1) would make jokes about it and Blender did it literally every month. Even celebs started piling on, most famously when the Offspring pretended it was going to name its new album Chinese Democracy

2006-08

Similar to the silent years of 03-05 but GNR were active but the media wasn't giving it much of a chance.

2009-15

Nobody cared besides those in attendance at shows.

He was always a fascinating figure and its unfortunate how it all turned out. He would've been a GREAT guest on a show like Maher's POlitically Incorrect, a guest judge on Iron Chef, regular appearances on Howard Stern, the morning shows like Fox & Friends, etc.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed -- again. Haha. I don't think Axl ever makes the political rounds circuit (I don't count Maher's show, I see that more as intellectual entertainment), but shows like Fox & Friends or Hannity (who had Bumble as a guest), yeah that would've never happened.

But I could've totally seen Axl on Maher's ABC or HBO show at some point, with like a George Carlin or some Senator or something. Axl's certainly the smartest guy of the lot imo, with Duff a close second.

Axl claimed at one point he was approached by someone about acting, and turned it down, saying it didn't interest him. But the thought there was that Axl is so naturally funny, and has such charisma, that a good director could've turned Axl into a great actor. And I agree.

I do wonder when this is all said and done... what's next for W. Axl Rose? He's finally given the world back what it wanted, and that's Slash back in the band, and they are licking him all over and shaking his arm off screaming thank you at him.

With GN'R back in their rightful state... once the dust settles, will Axl just go back to AC/DC? Sit on ice and wait for the next GN'R movement? Or would Axl consider a Chris Cornell move, and possibly tour a solo band? I couldn't see that happening, but I definitely could see Axl touring with Dizzy & Melissa or possibly even Pitman, and all they do is working synth boards and computers like is so popular with EDM these days.

I don't see Axl doing rave music, but I am curious if he'd ever slow down and consider being more public in a smaller venue with nothing but a keyboard in front of him.

AtariLegend wrote:

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

[/embed]

So awesome!

Board footer