You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Re: Frank Has 'Tremendous Respect' For STEVEN ADLER, MATT SORUM

GUNS N' ROSES drummer Frank Ferrer, who has been a member of the Axl Rose-fronted outfit for over a decade, spoke to Music Radar about his approach to playing some of the band's classic songs. He said: "I really try to keep the spirit of the way the song was played. When we play the 'Appetite…' stuff, I try to have the push and pulls. Steven's [Adler] punk rock bits are great.

"Adler's playing was one of the greatest rock drumming performances in the history of music. You can put it in the top ten. His playing on 'Appetite…' is perfect. Then with [Matt] Sorum, it's a little more tight and more reserved kind of playing. I do try to keep that spirit, though.

"I have tremendous respect for the drummers in GUNS N' ROSES. I love Brain [Brian Mantia] so much. What Brain told me was to try and make the songs my own. I never forget that. Obviously my own personality comes through, especially on some of the funkier stuff. I might give a more New York hip-hop kind of feel to it."

GUNS N' ROSES' "Not In This Lifetime" summer stadium tour kicks off on June 23 in Detroit, with dates booked through August 22 in San Diego.

Only singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan from GN'R's "Appetite For Destruction"-era lineup took part in the first Las Vegas gig and the five official reunion shows that followed (one in Las Vegas, Nevada and a pair each in Mexico City and the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. They were joined by Ferrer, keyboardist Dizzy Reed and guitarist Richard Fortus. Also appearing with them was second keyboardist Melissa Reese.

GUNS N' ROSES got a reported $8 million for its two appearances at Coachella and will make an average of $2.75 million per show on the "Not In This Lifetime" tour.

GUNS' second Coachella set in April featured the live debut of two classics, "Out Ta Get Me" and "Used To Love Her", that Slash, McKagan and Rose had not performed live together in over two decades.

Rose launched his stint as guest vocalist with AC/DC on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal. Axl is also slated to perform ten rescheduled North American shows with AC/DC.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n … Th3hztR.99

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No one responded to this thread? He called Sorum stiff...STIFF!! 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Where did he do that?

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Where did he do that?

Probably a gnrtruth scoop.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Then with [Matt] Sorum, it's a little more tight and more reserved kind of playing. I do try to keep that spirit, though.

You could interpret that as "stiff". He praises Adler to the moon, loves Brain,  and then says that about Sorum.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Where did he do that?

Probably a gnrtruth scoop.

That's getting to be beyond stupid.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I was holding my tongue...to be honest I just don't understand the way people respond to the drumming situation in GNR anymore!

Most people seem to dislike Sorum or do what Frank does here by "damning with feint praise"...which is odd when Matt's drums kicked complete ass all over UYI, TSI and the VR albums.

Conversely everyone is a huge Brian fan, when although I'll grant he seems to kickass as a drummer on youtube in other projects, in GNR he was very neutered. The cover versions the 2001 band did of the old stuff do not really impress for the most part, and on Chinese Democracy he shares the drum duties both with Frank and with an 8 Bit Drum Synth that Axl found inside an imported kinder surprise egg. The album has the most underwhelming drumming of the catalogue yet he's the "go to" drummer for folks. It's odd.

Meanwhile the current band has serious timing issues, although I'm not sure if that's frank or slash to be honest but it was very noticeable.

The way I see it - Steven was the classic innovator, Matt was the guy who has the great chemistry and created that big UYI sound, Brain wasn't given much of a chance to shine, and frank is the DJ of drumming - respectfully emulating the innovators.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I was holding my tongue...to be honest I just don't understand the way people respond to the drumming situation in GNR anymore!

Most people seem to dislike Sorum or do what Frank does here by "damning with feint praise"...which is odd when Matt's drums kicked complete ass all over UYI, TSI and the VR albums.

Conversely everyone is a huge Brian fan, when although I'll grant he seems to kickass as a drummer on youtube in other projects, in GNR he was very neutered. The cover versions the 2001 band did of the old stuff do not really impress for the most part, and on Chinese Democracy he shares the drum duties both with Frank and with an 8 Bit Drum Synth that Axl found inside an imported kinder surprise egg. The album has the most underwhelming drumming of the catalogue yet he's the "go to" drummer for folks. It's odd.

Meanwhile the current band has serious timing issues, although I'm not sure if that's frank or slash to be honest but it was very noticeable.

The way I see it - Steven was the classic innovator, Matt was the guy who has the great chemistry and created that big UYI sound, Brain wasn't given much of a chance to shine, and frank is the DJ of drumming - respectfully emulating the innovators.

I like your post.

Even though I hate Matt, I get what you're saying. Matt was good in Velvet Revolver.

The drums aren't the best on CD, but is that like a mixing issue as well?

Also the Brain love didn't he have some co writing credits. I think even though his drumming is fucked in the mixes that they went with on CD it is the fact this guy is: session good, live good, and can write songs good is why people love him. Also, connected to Buckethead.

Frank is a good mixture of both of them, plus he isn't a dick.

Brain and Frank they haven't done anything publicly personality wise where you're like fuck man that guy is a fucking dick. Fuck!

Anyhow, your post was great. I just don't see the need for people like Frank to really comment on previous drummers. Just drum man, just drum. It is nice he has something positive to say. But, like I don't care what you think of people who had the gig previously. There is a reason they don't have the gig and you do. Yes they contributed to what you're playing, but, that's as far as it goes. You can put your own spin on it and really you owe them nothing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just to reiterate, Frank has the job, because Frank is the most grounded.

I will agree that so far in 2016, the songs are being played too fast, but it looks like a band decision, and a decision on how they can up-tempo there way into a 23 song set within 2 and a half hours.

Frank is doing his job. But when you think about it, GN'R has only ever had 6 drummers total, and 4 in reality. Gardner doesn't count, and for the most part, neither does Freese, even though he co-wrote Chinese, and is still a friend of the band.

Adler drugged himself out of the gig
Sorum dicked himself out of the gig
Brain fucked himself out of the gig (having a kid)
And Frank... well... Frank has the the steady hand back there

I don't think there's alot of mystery there. Frank knows his place and respects that. He's like the Eric Singer (KISS) of GN'R. I don't think Frank is the most talented drummer of all time, but he gets the job done.

Could they improve?

Absolutely.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I will agree that so far in 2016, the songs are being played too fast, but it looks like a band decision

I thought a lot of fans were going a bit overboard with this but when I watched the DC show on periscope which is something I haven't done since the Vegas shows(I prefer to cherry pick tracks on youtube), I was shocked by how fast Jungle was.

However, I don't blame Frank. Like you, I think the band wants the songs performed exactly how they are being performed. If Axl, Slash, and Duff had any issues with how any of these guys(or girl) were playing the songs, they'd be out of the lineup in three shakes of a lamb's tail and would have someone else in that slot immediately.

Could they improve?

Absolutely.

Barely. I think they're firing on all cylinders and I'm not seeing much room for improvement. Only thing lacking in my book are a few songs not yet performed but that's not really a complaint as they could eventually pop up on the alt set list.

Board footer