You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

monkeychow wrote:

I figure they would want this AFD release and SOYL single to get most attention in the market place for the time being, so I doubt something is coming out around the same time or they would have mentioned it previously.

Yeah – just in terms of PR it would be a really, really bad idea to let it slip that you're doing a new album when you're preparing to release a retrospective box set. It shifts the focus away from AFD, and casuals will get confused over whether SOYL is a new song, the box set is a new album, etc. They want to keep the publicity laser focused on the AFD box at the moment.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The AFD box is their best bet at the moment. The last release was AFDem, with the Vegas band. This is a step up.

The NITL band now has a product to their name, with minimum effort and an assured reception. That's another thing.

It quarantees nothing, but also, gives them some leeway should they desire to release something new. Next year.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

gives them some leeway should they desire to release something new. Next year.

I believe this sentence, in different forms, has been repeated at least since 2009.
hmm
Sorry but I just don't believe anymore that anytime soon (as in at least next year) something new FOR REAL (unheard, current recording with current lineup) will happen.

Fernando was just at MyGNR bragging about having a NEW single on the charts. That would be Shadow Of Your Love, first heard in 1988 on the Japanese EP with AFD. That's not the kinda of new I want.

johndivney wrote:
Bob Dylan wrote:

The party’s over & there’s less and less to say

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's So Easy music video up on iTunes / Apple Music

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 71#p313271

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
otto wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

gives them some leeway should they desire to release something new. Next year.

I believe this sentence, in different forms, has been repeated at least since 2009.
hmm
Sorry but I just don't believe anymore that anytime soon (as in at least next year) something new FOR REAL (unheard, current recording with current lineup) will happen.

Oh, I'm hardly holding my breath.

However, there's one thing: Slash. Post-CD, Guns have struggled to make it through the fallout. The financial crisis hit soon after the BestBuy deal was done. Axl responded by publicly slamming his record label. The Vegas band resorted to playing in weddings at the French Riviera and for Russian oligarchs.

Strangely, injecting Slash made Guns the band they were already supposed to be at that point in time. Touring stadiums to play their classics. Only they omitted some 20 years' worth of back catalog. Axl may have won out on the band name, but he lost the output wars to what must've been a huge emotional toll. Putting his art up for scrutinizing is something he's always been wary of doing, and the baggage of CD likely made everything more difficult there.

The AFD box is logical, as it's the best thing Axl's offering right now. It does promote the NITL lineup aptly and brings the brand home to its strongest point. Call it a cashgrab, and you're right. In a few years, UYI may get the same treatment. "They just keep going..."

otto wrote:

Fernando was just at MyGNR bragging about having a NEW single on the charts. That would be Shadow Of Your Love, first heard in 1988 on the Japanese EP with AFD. That's not the kinda of new I want.

Would a song written 20 years ago be the your kind of new?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

[/embed]
This moment always stuck me as a little... cloying. Maybe I'm just cynical.

apex-twin wrote:

Would a song written 20 years ago be the your kind of new?

Yeah.

If they have a "You Know You're Right" or "This Is It" in the tanks, it's gonna be kept in the reserves for a GH and Tour #2.

I think old Tommy tipped the cap. New Guns is over, the Old Guns stuff will be the priority and see the light of day eventually.

Guns N' Roses doesn't will never have a new new song, imo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Guns N' Roses doesn't will never have a new new song, imo.

I dunno i think they will do whatever they have to do to keep the lifestyle.

I think that's why Axl reunited...nu-gnr did as many tours as possbile each time going to a smaller venue.

Then they did vegas....twice.

They didn't have much left to do...that's what triggered the reunion.

Now when that's running out of stadium steam after four years....they refresh the fire with the AFD box.

Then they could do a few more years playing arenas.

Then its going to need something else in the tank....maybe a UYI set? But would that get as much attention?

At some point the way to boost interest will be to release a new album...that's when it would happen. When they have no other choice lol.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

At some point the way to boost interest will be to release a new album...that's when it would happen. When they have no other choice lol.

Well, yes. You can paint that as a negative or you can paint it as pragmatism. There's no point releasing a new album when you have plenty of other stuff you can use to boost the profile of a tour with considerably less effort (and stakes – if the new album turns out to be a donkey it permanently taints the brand). So of course you'd work your way down the list of AFD remaster and UYI remaster and live CDs and the like before you knuckle down and produce a new album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ That's a possibility.

It's just weird that when it comes to a new album they suddenly become marketing geniuses and understand the best way to maximise brand potential in the longer term is to do nothing....but yet they literally screw up every other aspect of modern marketing...from releasing the AFD30 set a year late to current inability to buy any of the UYI tour shows released as blu-ray to the continual lack of interviews about the reunion etc.

It's not that i'm painting it to be negative intentionally, it's that things have been inane for so long that at some point, as they say, if it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck and it quacks....well then....maybe it's a duck.  19

Board footer