You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Slash casually refers to a new GNR record in a vague non committal way

Scabbie wrote:

I didn’t buy tickets for this round of touring and won’t until I see a resurgence in creative energy from this band. Particularly at the ticket prices they are asking for.

If they hold back an album because they think they can get away with a ‘reset’ then one might assume

1. The album is mediocre and they feel it might damage tour sales / reputation if they release it now

2. There is no new album or they are struggling to complete it

3. They aren’t confident that they can write another album and thus are desperately holding on to the one they have for when tour sales drop

When I see other rock bands creating and releasing despite of lockdown it makes me wander what they have been up to. At the end of the day I just don’t think they’re tight enough to make the music they made in their heyday. I think that any music might reflect that.

As for Slash’s comments....he hardly sounds excited!!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm thinking the AC/DC model would suit GNR.

They're using the Stones model. Yes the Stones used to be a recording entity but after 2002, they realized they were so big that they didn't need an album to tour. The Stones name and legend was enough to sell out stadiums.

Yes they are an anomaly....but it can be done.

In the span of 18 years, only new Stones music was Doom and Gloom and a blues cover album no one bought or listened to even though it was more than likely their last album.

I remember in 2016 being so naive to the point of believing that they would go the Soundgarden route.

It was wishful thinking. The Soundgarden reunion wasn't about money....and the trajectory it took showed what it was about.

James

James wrote:

y "I'd like to think that we'd have some new stuff out next year - from both camps"

Translation...

"I don't really care either way."

Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

They're using the Stones model. Yes the Stones used to be a recording entity but after 2002, they realized they were so big that they didn't need an album to tour. The Stones name and legend was enough to sell out stadiums.

In the span of 18 years, only new Stones music was Doom and Gloom and a blues cover album no one bought or listened to even though it was more than likely their last album.

I remember in 2016 being so naive to the point of believing that they would go the Soundgarden route.

It was wishful thinking. The Soundgarden reunion wasn't about money....and the trajectory it took showed what it was about.

Yep...pretty good comparison. Axl and whoever is their record company literally shows no desire to talk or do anything about a new album.

Sky Dog wrote:

Fat and happy! axl

Sky Dog wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, ain’t a bad way to live!

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

Yep...pretty good comparison. Axl and whoever is their record company literally shows no desire to talk or do anything about a new album.

The record company's stance is the head scratcher. It makes me wonder if the GNR deal with their label includes a small percentage of touring revenue.

Their stance makes no sense without it.

2016-17 GNR was huge. The label put nothing out to capitalize on a literal once in a lifetime opportunity.  That period begged for a new GH/Best of compilation...and it would've sold/streamed like hot cakes... especially 2016.

It was the biggest tour on the planet and it had two promotional cherries on top....the Axl/DC tour and Billy Joel guest appearance.

It was a license to print money. They did nothing.

Axl will never be that active again.

Squandered opportunity.

Sky Dog wrote:

Again, yes. Anything now is a waste of time because the guy who really calls the shots doesn’t want it or need it. It is what it is. axl

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

The record company's stance is the head scratcher. It makes me wonder if the GNR deal with their label includes a small percentage of touring revenue.

Their stance makes no sense without it.

2016-17 GNR was huge. The label put nothing out to capitalize on a literal once in a lifetime opportunity.  That period begged for a new GH/Best of compilation...and it would've sold/streamed like hot cakes... especially 2016.

It was the biggest tour on the planet and it had two promotional cherries on top....the Axl/DC tour and Billy Joel guest appearance.

It was a license to print money. They did nothing.

Axl will never be that active again.

Squandered opportunity.

The lawsuit with Azoff in 2010 was over touring profits.

Axl holds all the cards.

He’s not gonna give them away for even less for someone he trusts even less.

As far as a new album, until it’s formally announced with a title, album artwork, track listing, and release date - it doesn’t exist.

I don’t want to hear any sweet nothings about it.

Show me the baby or stay home.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What can I say? You guys are all right but I still sort of think it will happen eventually. 16

We know Axl has songs/song ideas half done..(hell we even have a few but there's lots of confirmations from others over the years)..at least some of which could be shoehorned out of CD sound and back towards a UYI ballad sound at minimum. We know Slash can wack on a solo or two or redo a guitar part in an afternoon.

It's all there ready to go - which is why like a good GNR project it's already taken 6+ years since Slash's return to get going big_smile

But I think it will happen.

I do see Scabie's point however that when (if) it does happen it will be interesting to see if the chemistry compares to records of the past.

I don't think we'd see an AFD out of them, but I could see like CD era ballads with Slash solos, and a handful of World on Fire Style slash rockers with some Axl chorus parts or something. May not change the earth - but let's be honest I'd still blast the hell out of them at home!

Board footer