You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Wtf happened to…If The World

FlashFlood wrote:

First impression of the track from the Skewrl leak was that it was a funky song with a killer bass line. On the album, Axl and Caram said fuck you no bass which was majorly disappointing. Pretty much an immediate skip for me.

Sky Dog wrote:

Sounds like a Bond soundtrack song. The Bucket solo is nice but the rest is b-side material. Meh.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Always liked this song. It reminds me of Garbage's The World Is Not Enough, a song I have a strong nostalgic connection to. I prefer the album version as I feel it benefits from the thicker production.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A pretty good song. They got it right with the Village Sessions version. Just leave it alone.

Yes it has soundtrack vibes and should've been included on a soundtrack in that 2001-02 period to give them a much needed boost.

By the time it was released...it no longer mattered.

It also should've been played on the 2006-07 tour instead of just teasing hardcore fans with the possibility. Just another amateur hour decision by their great management at the time...Merck and TB.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This is actually the one song I think Ron improved. I like his funky background guitar and I like the added synth before the BH solo. I think they improved the vocal track but I have no clue how exactly, it just sounds better. The lone issue is when Axl decided to be cute and edit the lalalala section to a really low frequency. That's another example of Axl spending too much time in a studio dicking around.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Def a bond song but I really like bond songs so that's cool.

Underrated vocal line IMO, I think Axl sounds killer on this track.

Basically really like this song, some ways I would actually like it produced without the guitar and even more like a bond song.

Melissa/Brain remix had even more fucking around than the album version but still shows off the basis of what a great vocal line it is to me.

I know it's a bit different for GNR, but I would love to see more of this type of writing from Axl. I can almost imagine what a more pop Axl album would have been like with awesome melodies and lyrics as it's own thing.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think it would sound fine on an Axl solo album....as would better, scraped, and shacklers.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I love If The World.

I blasted it on my computer and then my newly minted headphones. It’s just a fun song.

It’s the type of song that’d inspire any sensible band to record a concept album of Bond songs, movie soundtrack songs and the like. A trip through history. Through eras. And so on.

Make Chinese it’s own thing, make the movie soundtrack it’s own thing, make the industrial project it’s own thing.

Chinese will instead be what it was, jack of trades master of none.

Sky Dog wrote:

It was a compilation album....”the album that got through the red tape”

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It was a compilation album....”the album that got through the red tape”

Yeah... what a travesty.

Imagine how many variations of the album there were over those years.

I've always wondered what the tracklist would've been for the album Tommy mentioned in 2004-05 that he claimed would be a short album. This is also the period where interludes were being recorded.

Board footer