You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: Wtf happened to…If The World

exoterica wrote:

I get the impression there were 6 songs Axl wanted out.

The rest was just endless revisionism, self-doubt, and lack of vision.

Axl tinkering around trying to find the vein to tap into. And then he stopped looking.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I've wondered if the project got reduced to this as well after a certain amount of time.

I mean....he clearly stopped caring after a certain point.

Tommy's comment also focused on big guns.

Combine big guns with short album, you're potentially looking at a ballad album.

Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Madagascar
TWAT
Prostitute
TIL
Soul Monster
Maybe 1 or 2 more

Those comments also coincide with whatever was going on behind the scenes regarding a reunion....so it may have been a half hearted attempt to wash his hands of the mess.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Another bang average song. I like the production on this better - you can hear what resembles a band playing for much of it rather that a dense, indistinguishable mess.
The Bucket solo is the highlight - it's one of his best on the album.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I've wondered if the project got reduced to this as well after a certain amount of time..

The liner notes talk about how Axl spent his summer “how I saved my life” which is likely either 98-99.

But many of the songs you mention originate from at least mk2-3 of the project, ie soul monster

Meaning Chinese was nothing more than an EP. The only mk1 song we haven’t heard is Oklahoma later Berlin which surprise is more of axl’s personal politics ala Erin everly.

The point being the entire project seems to be axls mental illness concept album. I’m not trying to be mean here. It isn’t until better and scraped that he uses a different voice.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The only mk1 song we haven’t heard is Oklahoma

I hadn't thought of it like that but you're right.

Not sure what that says about the track... good or bad.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

It’s more about what it says about the larger project or lack thereof.

It’s all hyper-subjective abstraction without any cohesion, musically or lyrically.

It’s hardly The Wall let alone Wish You Were Here.

If we get an album, big if, my guess it’s AFD meets CD but still a non-cohesive greatest hits compilation.

Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It was a compilation album....”the album that got through the red tape”

Yeah... what a travesty.

Imagine how many variations of the album there were over those years.

I've always wondered what the tracklist would've been for the album Tommy mentioned in 2004-05 that he claimed would be a short album. This is also the period where interludes were being recorded.

Sadly, Tommy is likely referring to the 12 song  album Zutaut was talking about when he was around.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Another bang average song. I like the production on this better - you can hear what resembles a band playing for much of it rather that a dense, indistinguishable mess.
The Bucket solo is the highlight - it's one of his best on the album.

If the world is easily the best song on the album. Even with it being overproduced. The demo is still way better but at least its not as overproduced as most of the other songs.

Board footer