You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: WTF happened to…Catcher in the Rye

What was done to this song was criminal. The original track was a beautiful Queen/Elton John/Beatles type affair. The mess of a solo and outro dumped on top of it… ugh. At least we have the clean demo version now.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

As many have said, there's just too much stuff in the final version.  It's overwhelming and not in a good way. Should have left it as is instead of dumping whatever it was on it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The album outro is fantastic. Otherwise, can't say anymore than has already been said. Blah.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

The Village session demo is very good IMO. The album version is awful. BBF should have never been allowed to play on the album.  Like every released song on CD it has way too much going on.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

There’s a logic to it.

The original is from the raw, alt-rock version of the album, the RTB version was likely erased out of spite. Axl’s reworking of the album was geared towards heavy electronic guitars so naturally all bass and drums were buried.

BBF did his job. Can’t blame him. He showed more concern for the fans than anyone. What he did could’ve been made to sound better in the mix and Axl wasn’t even in the studio when he recorded it. It’s garbage of course but I don’t blame the fall guy.

Blame Axl and Caram.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

There’s a logic to it.

The original is from the raw, alt-rock version of the album, the RTB version was likely erased out of spite. Axl’s reworking of the album was geared towards heavy electronic guitars so naturally all bass and drums were buried.

BBF did his job. Can’t blame him. He showed more concern for the fans than anyone. What he did could’ve been made to sound better in the mix and Axl wasn’t even in the studio when he recorded it. It’s garbage of course but I don’t blame the fall guy.

Blame Axl and Caram.

Yeah, I don't have anything against BBF. He's a good guy and he did the job that was asked of him. He was in the unfortunate position where he was being asked to add additional layers to tracks that, for the most part, didn't need them. Axl's perfectly laudable desire to both honour the contributions of those who'd gone before and ensure that members of the current line-up had a hand in the finished album, ultimately resulted in an overstuffed final product. In some cases I'd say Ron's work enhances the songs (particularly his fretless work in Chinese Democracy and his Shackler's solo/tapping bit).

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Ron’s solo ruined the song for me. Just disjointed rubbish that doesn’t suit the song at all, regardless whether he’s to blame or not. The original demo with Brian May is magic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yep...it's up there with Civil War as a lyrical highlight of his career.

That lyrical content in the context of a Beatles style ballad is genius. Too bad the world at large will never really know how amazing it was thanks to the abortion that went on the album. The original had a retro yet timeless feel to it.

It amazes me that he would ruin his own material.... especially THIS song.

It reinforces my opinion that he no longer gave a shit at that point... about the album or his legacy.

The sessions needed more songs like these two.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Was the re-recording Axl's insecurity or him just forcing Ron on the album because he was in the band? I think Ezrin and Iovine did a number on him mentally.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I have something else to say in general...thanks to listening to Pink Floyd tonight.

Why couldn't this album be more like Wish You Were Here? It covers very similar territory...

The devastating loss of a crucial band member

Waters extremely cynical, jaded view of the industry... something Axl was dealing with himself.

It's also only 5 songs and gets the point across nicely.

Board footer