You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's been a while since I've heard it, but I don't ever remember hearing Slash butcher a new era song. Maybe he struggled on that TWAT outro? I don't know. But like how they rearranged Better's and Hard Schools intro, I can see them doing the same to the others. I'd really love to hear Slash's take on Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace.

What is this strange universe I’ve entered where I actually agree with everything misterID says...? 14

But yeah, Slash hasn’t really butchered any CD tracks, though I expected him to do more with the This I Love solo, than the shreddy noodling stuff he does on it.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I'm kind of on the fence as to Slash's playing on CD songs. He certainly shit the bed when in came to TIL which fans had speculated on for years concerning how he would elevate the song. It's tailor-made for a soaring UYI style solo and I felt he came up short more often than not.

That said - I was generally disappointed with Slash from what I saw of NITL. Some epic moments for sure (especially early doors) but he seemed to phone it in a lot. "Just a gig".

His tone was also inferior to earlier GN'R and he has developed a curious habit of sloppy noodling as well as seemingly wanting to play fast and almost shred as often as possible - often to the detriment of what made him a great; singable melodies on guitar. That could well be a reaction to having Fortus on second fiddle who is a vastly more technically proficient player...

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's been a while since I've heard it, but I don't ever remember hearing Slash butcher a new era song. Maybe he struggled on that TWAT outro? I don't know. But like how they rearranged Better's and Hard Schools intro, I can see them doing the same to the others. I'd really love to hear Slash's take on Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace.

What is this strange universe I’ve entered where I actually agree with everything misterID says...? 14

But yeah, Slash hasn’t really butchered any CD tracks, though I expected him to do more with the This I Love solo, than the shreddy noodling stuff he does on it.

The version he played at Orlando 2016 is biblical:

A lot of the other versions of TIL, he does improv-noodle a bit, but the Orlando solo feels like it has structure and flows between moods.

I don't really think his style lends itself to the TWAT outro, I'm kinda baffled they didn't give that one to Fortus tbh.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The version he played at Orlando 2016 is biblical

Oh, it's biblical alright. Like a fuckin' plague on my ears.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

The version he played at Orlando 2016 is biblical:

A lot of the other versions of TIL, he does improv-noodle a bit, but the Orlando solo feels like it has structure and flows between moods.

I don't really think his style lends itself to the TWAT outro, I'm kinda baffled they didn't give that one to Fortus tbh.

how do you call that good?
If people think that is good then I can see why people are saying he is not butchering the solos lol

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I heard a radio ad this morning for the concert in Boston. We’re a week and a half away…wonder if sales are struggling.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think any change is good.

When you think the CD era songs are the "new" material and we've been hearing most of them for 21 years now, and it's even 12 years in the case of "rare" stuff like "If the World" since it's live debut.

Basically changing up the list is good.

That said...we have to be realistic...the band has an Acoustic ep, 2 cover EPs and 4 records to choose from.

There's only so different shows are going to get from each other really.

This has always been the problem once we got into the 2000s....

The discography is the smallest out of all the iconic bands....and one of the albums is a cover album and out of their hits, two are covers.

You could tell they were getting bored with their own setlists when they started including various covers like Black Hole Sun, Wichita Lineman, etc.

Hell...he even did this during the Chinese years with Sailing, Sway, The Seeker, etc.

I thought it was funny back then....his hardcore fans begging to hear a new CD song.... instead he performs covers nobody was asking for.

It finally dawned on me at some point that they were doing it to break up the monotony.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think any change is good.

When you think the CD era songs are the "new" material and we've been hearing most of them for 21 years now, and it's even 12 years in the case of "rare" stuff like "If the World" since it's live debut.

Basically changing up the list is good.

That said...we have to be realistic...the band has an Acoustic ep, 2 cover EPs and 4 records to choose from.

There's only so different shows are going to get from each other really.

This has always been the problem once we got into the 2000s....

The discography is the smallest out of all the iconic bands....and one of the albums is a cover album and out of their hits, two are covers.

You could tell they were getting bored with their own setlists when they started including various covers like Black Hole Sun, Wichita Lineman, etc.

Hell...he even did this during the Chinese years with Sailing, Sway, The Seeker, etc.

I thought it was funny back then....his hardcore fans begging to hear a new CD song.... instead he performs covers nobody was asking for.

It finally dawned on me at some point that they were doing it to break up the monotony.

they have tons of UYI songs they could have played and a bunch of CD ones. They could have made a different set list every night if they wanted to

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl sounds absolutely fantastic on Wichita Lineman and The Seeker. I'll take Axl sounding awesome on a cover than hear him Mickey up Dead Horse.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah that's the other element....

It's like take your 4 albums....

then remove songs you don't want to play because of beef with a co-writer (eg Pitman/Izzy etc), then remove songs that are punishing to vocally perform too often (eg Twat screams), then remove songs where there is controversy (Get In The Ring, One in a Million), then maybe remove songs where you may have moved on from those emotions (Shotgun Blues), then limit how many times you want to ask Slash to cover Robin songs (maybe just 3 this setlist) then limit how many agressive songs you want in a row....(everyone take a step back)...then limit how many ballads should go together before it gets too samey....then consider the list of songs that the audience will require to be present and which ones of those already violate the above rules....then find a way to make that new for 30 years...

Not saying it can't be done...but I can see why they find it hard.

I think some of the fun of the covers for them is not only the change but also that they are reasonably critically free....like if Axl writes a new song we have to ask how this compares to AFD and if it's about Erin or Slash or whatever....but if he sings Sailing it just sounds cool 16

Board footer