You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

Axl S wrote:
kemmep wrote:
James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Yeah I feel like they had to know this song would be mixed and then they will do Hardschool to bring back the "it doesn't sound like classic gnr" camp. Also Hardschool doesn't really have the CD outtake baggage as Absurd does. Cause really how many people have heard the Hardschool leak? It like didn't have any press or anything.

Edit

One more thing....

Smart to just credit Absurd to Guns N Roses in general.....as I'm sure the rest of the material will be.

I wonder what that means in terms of the contractual relationship between geffen and gnr. Gnr owed Geffen 1 more album, so does this mean there is a "new" deal with geffen?

It looks better than listing a bunch of the CD band members as writers on the song.

Who knows what their contracts with the band said about writing credits. Maybe legally behind the scenes they still get their royalties and it's just not listed. Perhaps they signed those away in exchange for their retainer fees. We don't really know - and to be honest the personal finances of ex members isn't our business, so we don't need to know.

It would be nice to see the detailed writing credits for these songs, out of fan curiosity though. If/when an physical release happens, maybe then we'll get details in the proper liner notes.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

I feel like Hardschool will, judging from the slash rehearsal fanmade mix with Axl's vocals pasted on it, will maybe appease the people just looking for a classic AFD type gnr sound

Where can I hear this Hardschool fanmade mix?

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
Axl S wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Did Atlas Shrugged leak? I never heard that if it did.

The General
Seven
Thyme
Zodiac

Have always interested me.

When you hear Thyme it won't interest you 16

I love that 2 min Intro thing. Who knows where they have taken it or what else might have become of it...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

that's the crazy thing - to the average fan, this is the first original song penned by axl, slash and duff in over 20 years.

Yeah....and so will the next song.

His total lack of ever discussing CD II in depth wound up being a gift to themselves all these years later.

Hardschool.....hot off the presses!

Only 500 nerds will know or care otherwise.

I read an article from Australian music news website Noise 11 and they said “Absurd” was the first song from Chinese Democracy played with Slash & Duff in GNR.

Um, not quite.

Then, in a follow up article they said the new song was reworked from when it was released on CD.

Pretty poor reporting, but casuals probably don’t even notice or care.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
kemmep wrote:

I wonder what that means in terms of the contractual relationship between geffen and gnr. Gnr owed Geffen 1 more album, so does this mean there is a "new" deal with geffen?

Some of the copyright information would imply that there's a new deal.

......for example if you look at Chinese Democracy the recording is listed as "(c) Geffen Records" whereas Absurd is listed as "(c) Guns N Roses under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

Normal practise is that a record label would own anything recorded while the band was under contract to them....so you would expect in a normal situation....Geffen would own silkworms and the other unused chinese songs....so this copyright makes me infer that some type of renegotiation has taken place....perhaps like the band have collectively bought back the masters to unused recordings, or negotiated some type of new record deal where Geffen gets first look but doesn't have the ability to call the shots anymore.

When you think about how CD was all sunk cost for geffen, which they made back, and how Axl has demonstrated he will wait them to the grave if they force him, and how the band has massive leverage now with the hundreds of millions they make on tour.....it would be fairly easy for them to buy out that old deal now.

Anyway all speculation but it's plausible to me and arguably implied in that copyright notice.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
kemmep wrote:

Some of the copyright information would imply that there's a new deal.

......for example if you look at Chinese Democracy the recording is listed as "(c) Geffen Records" whereas Absurd is listed as "(c) Guns N Roses under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

Normal practise is that a record label would own anything recorded while the band was under contract to them....so you would expect in a normal situation....Geffen would own silkworms and the other unused chinese songs....so this copyright makes me infer that some type of renegotiation has taken place....perhaps like the band have collectively bought back the masters to unused recordings, or negotiated some type of new record deal where Geffen gets first look but doesn't have the ability to call the shots anymore.

When you think about how CD was all sunk cost for geffen, which they made back, and how Axl has demonstrated he will wait them to the grave if they force him, and how the band has massive leverage now with the hundreds of millions they make on tour.....it would be fairly easy for them to buy out that old deal now.

Anyway all speculation but it's plausible to me and arguably implied in that copyright notice.

That sounds very likely, thanks for sharing:) Hopefully this (possible) new contract has opened "the vault".

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

"We got a new song out. If you don't like it... that's okay, we're gonna play it anyway. It's called Absurd".

-Axl, Fargo 2021

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

"ABSURD" has 1.24 million plays on YouTube in just 6 days

Since their re-upload on YouTube in 2018:

• "This I Love" - 4.50 million views

• "Better" - 3.29 million views

• "Chinese Democracy" - 2.29 million views

• "There Was a Time" - 1.23 million views

• "Madagascar" - 0.92 million views

• "Prostitute" - 0.42 million views

This is the difference between having the machine behind you and your album being sent to die.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

"ABSURD" has 1.24 million plays on YouTube in just 6 days

Since their re-upload on YouTube in 2018:

• "This I Love" - 4.50 million views

• "Better" - 3.29 million views

• "Chinese Democracy" - 2.29 million views

• "There Was a Time" - 1.23 million views

• "Madagascar" - 0.92 million views

• "Prostitute" - 0.42 million views

This is the difference between having the machine behind you and your album being sent to die.

That is impressive.... especially considering the fact they didn't promote it themselves other than performing it.

Most of those views were in the first 48 hours when it was actually trending.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just checked the Spotify top 200.

It's already gone.

Board footer