You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii

James wrote:

Wow... might be the greatest concert in history.

I hate how I didn't fully appreciate this show when I was younger because its a few years before Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall.

I never really got into early Pink Floyd and that clouded my judgement.

After watching this last night and again this morning, I'm just gonna say it....this is the greatest band that will ever exist.

I like to put Soundgarden, GNR, and Fleetwood Mac up on their level....but they're really not.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Your rankings are interesting. I was listening to Fleetwood Mac the other day and thought "this is great but it lacks that little extra to make them on the level of Stones, Zeppelin and GN'R".

Generally I split the good bands into two categories, the all timers and those who are merely great. To be an all timer you have to catch the attention of the whole world while also making credible music. Mac is certainly credible but lacks range. Go Your Own Way is about the only time they crossed into proper rock territory, preferring to stay in popland and dare say, play it safe. To think what Stevie Nicks could do with a voice like that. For the same reason I can't put AC/DC up there. The best at what they do but it just becomes limited in the long run compared with multi talented bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. 

That being said Pink Floyd might deserve to be on a level of their own. Zeppelin or GN'R never made anything as good as Dark Side of the Moon. That album is just magical.

My favorite aspect of Pink Floyd is that essentially they were four guys who were all a bit clueless about music. Barrett was doing everything creatively. And none of them are great technical players either. As a result their first few albums without him are pretty poor. They were still learning their craft. By the time the 70s arrived they had started to find their groove. Atom Heart Mother is a mixed bag but Meddle is a legitimate record. Lots of good pop songs which is unique for a Floyd album and the 20 minute closer "Echoes" is our first taste of what would become their trademark sound. The band doing that gig at Pompeii is about to record one of the greatest albums of all time and they are flying as high as you would expect.

James

James wrote:

To think what Stevie Nicks could do with a voice like that

I think about this sometimes as well when listening to Fleetwood Mac or her solo material.

Yeah she was on another level entirely...and she knew it.  Almost joined Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 81. While still at her peak, was willing to juggle three huge projects.

Unfortunately for her... regardless of how amazing her voice was...she wasn't an elite songwriter on her own so this left everything to the whims of whoever she's with at the time.

Sounds sexist I know...but it's true.

Another thing....

Her ambition was all out of wack. It became more about just being rich and famous in general while everything else but drugs took a back seat.

I also think about this when listening to Sinead O'Connor's first two albums. The talent level there is ungodly.

It all gets pissed away quickly due to mental illness.

She should've been fronting some type of band in 1990-91 after the world took notice after her debut album.

Wouldn't change anything I suppose...she'd still go crazy.

I know she did more albums later on but the muse is gone. The world only got a brief taste of what she had to offer.

James

James wrote:

Last night... thanks to not having my drug(s) of choice....I smoked a joint for the first time in maybe 9-10 years or so. Someone gave me a bit of weed 5-6 years ago and I just tossed it in a drawer. I think it might have been Romulan.

Anyways....I watched this again.

Mind blown all over again.

Especially this....

Incredible.

When I die and the gates of hell open, I want this playing as I enter.

The band doing that gig at Pompeii is about to record one of the greatest albums of all time and they are flying as high as you would expect.

They should've went back to Pompeii and performed Dark Side of the Moon.

Gilmour going back eons later doesn't count.

I downloaded Meddle and Ummagumma. Time to give em another chance now that Pompeii finally spoke to me.

James

James wrote:

While listening to these albums today, it dawned on me when looking at the tracklists...

Like Fleetwood Mac, they wouldn't milk their albums of singles even though millions are digging it and radio was having to cherry pick deep cuts as unofficial singles.

That blows my mind.

Like.... here's a monster album...two singles(Money, Us and Them)... we'll tour it...here's another iconic album...a single (Have A Cigar)....now here's another album (Animals) with no singles at all!! After that...here comes The Wall.....three singles.

The band and the label left millions on the table.

It's possible that they could've doubled album sales had they wanted to.

I get it....these albums are artistic statements and not just about making money but holy shit....the mind boggles.

Any other band would've killed just to have their deep cuts...and they would've milked the shit out of it too.

One more thing....

Why no videos?

Flabbergasted that a band who would film Live at Pompeii and later in the decade The Wall but not go all out for at least 1 or 2 videos per album. I know it's before MTV but videos were already being made by major bands.

They could've done some killer shit.

Brain Damage/Eclipse just begs for a video where it looks like they're performing it on the Moon....and I'm sure Waters could've come up with a great concept for Pigs.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

While listening to these albums today, it dawned on me when looking at the tracklists...

Like Fleetwood Mac, they wouldn't milk their albums of singles even though millions are digging it and radio was having to cherry pick deep cuts as unofficial singles.

The reason they are a cut above the rest is because they were willing to sacrifice money for art.

Why no videos?

Flabbergasted that a band who would film Live at Pompeii and later in the decade The Wall but not go all out for at least 1 or 2 videos per album. I know it's before MTV but videos were already being made by major bands.

They could've done some killer shit.

Brain Damage/Eclipse just begs for a video where it looks like they're performing it on the Moon....and I'm sure Waters could've come up with a great concept for Pigs.

The Wall movie is a notable exception. Videos were just beneath them, like singles. They were all about the album.

For me the most tragic miss is not having any of their hey day concerts professionally filmed, particularly the Animals tour where the entire set list was their three best albums. Even the Wall they managed to screw up, though rumors persist that footage in good quality does exist.

James

James wrote:

Yeah...not documenting that incredible run wound up being a huge travesty...one that will be looked back upon even worse as more time goes by.

I've been waiting for the Animals box set to get a release date and when reading about how they put these box sets together, they have so little to work with.

Fans are wanting them to remaster bootlegs for release.

I've watched/listened to a few bootlegs...not worthy of release IMO.

At least Fleetwood Mac had the sense to film some of the Rumours-Tusk period.

Look at GNR....filmed one of the biggest tours ever and did nothing with it.

I wonder if the footage even still exists and if it does...what condition is it in?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

GN'R are just their own special type of clusterfuck. They started out their career doing things that don't make sense and they've kept at it. The more control Axl got the worse it got. Greatest singer ever but he's not exactly a businessman and he hates planning more than 5 minutes ahead. No wonder he and Izzy got along so well, I've never really thought about it that way before.

AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13525

Just a reminder that Floyd used to play songs live from multiple classic albums that wouldn't be released for years.

Sky Dog wrote:

I have the directors cut of this…it’s awesome. 3

Board footer