You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Axl Rose at his best

polluxlm wrote:

I would have to agree with You're Crazy. The first song I would play to someone if I wanted to showcase Axl's voice.

Farm Aid and Rock in Rio 2 are somewhat unique. Still firmly rooted in the Appetite era but starting to slide into the stadium band with replacement players, backup singers and horns. Axl still kept his pants on and they still had the street attitude. It's a tight band, not the Axl and Slash show which it became.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I always thought the quintessential GN'R performance, the one I'd show first to a newbie, was the 1988 VMAs performance of WTTJ. One of their most iconic songs performed by the OG band, Axl and Slash wearing their most iconic threads, and one of Axl's better vocal performances.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I always thought the quintessential GN'R performance, the one I'd show first to a newbie, was the 1988 VMAs performance of WTTJ. One of their most iconic songs performed by the OG band, Axl and Slash wearing their most iconic threads, and one of Axl's better vocal performances.

One of my favorites too. The whole thing just oozes rock and roll in its truest form. Love this performance.

Sky Dog wrote:

Just watched that Jungle again. Yeah, it’s right there with Civil War.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah that will forever be the greatest performance in MTV history. Nothing else comes close.

LALD at the 91 VMAs is incredible but doesn't really count since it was beamed in by satellite....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVG24Or1Mew

2nd place is probably Metallica with Enter Sandman....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pretty Tied Up - Rock in Rio

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Can't believe I've never heard this before. The only time in the new millennium he aces this song. The scream is incredible and in some parts I'd say he even surpasses the studio recording in power.

Any recommendations from 2010 are welcome.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

From the same show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5xRhcUJ-8

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I was at that Dublin 2010 show. Well, a bit of it. That was the one where they were on late, the idiots running the venue let people take bottles into the floor area, and some idiots threw those bottles at the stage.

Axl stormed off in a huff, the crowd looked like it was getting a bit St. Louis, so I decided to bail.

And then Axl came back out on the stage and performed the entire show standing in one spot, he was that pissed off. And gave one of his best vocal performances as a result.

Oops.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I was at that Dublin 2010 show. Well, a bit of it. That was the one where they were on late, the idiots running the venue let people take bottles into the floor area, and some idiots threw those bottles at the stage.

Axl stormed off in a huff, the crowd looked like it was getting a bit St. Louis, so I decided to bail.

And then Axl came back out on the stage and performed the entire show standing in one spot, he was that pissed off. And gave one of his best vocal performances as a result.

Oops.

Sounds like you missed a top show mad

Come to think about it, has he ever done a show standing still before (except 2016)? That might have been a unique experience.

Board footer