You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Blackstar wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

I don't visit their merch site often, but the more classic-looking UYI shirts must have been on there for a while - I'm sure I'd seen them listed before the new anniversary merch was added.

They certainly weren’t listed with the 30th anniversary fugly stuff when they made the social media post last week. If they were I probably wouldn’t have complained so much about merch they were selling to celebrate it.

Yes, they definitely weren't listed as part of the anniversary stuff, but they were among the regular shirts they were selling - at least that's what I remember.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I actually heard Hard Skool on Ozzy’s Boneyard today. Never heard Absurd.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Listening to this on a good system makes all the difference. I got a standard setup in my living room and it sounds good, but on my JBL speakers I use for the computer the sound is much better. Especially for Slash' guitar.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Quick Song, Oklahoma, Perhaps and Atlas have the opportunity to be really kick ass with Slash and Duff.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I actually heard Hard Skool on Ozzy’s Boneyard today. Never heard Absurd.

Was it the radio edit?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

misterID wrote:

I think Quick Song, Oklahoma, Perhaps and Atlas have the opportunity to be really kick ass with Slash and Duff.

Agreed, I think The Rebel sounds ready made for Slash and Duff too. I'm intrigued to hear what they might make of State of Grace as well.

I'm really digging Hard School (the K can fuck off). I liked the demo and at first the studio track sounded jarring but a few listens in and I was used to it. Love the additions from Slash and Duff. At first the guitar work sounded kind of basic but it has really catchy hook to it. Like others have said I'm not sold on the mix, the drums sound like I'm hearing them through cotton wool.

I think they made a mistake going with Absurd as first single. The attention on HS has been lower and I think it's because it's come second and I think the momentum it could have generated as first single has been lost. Hard School is a viable hit rock single but I think a to lot of casuals it will have lost the intrigue element after hearing Absurd.

Which comes back to management and who is making these commercial decisions for the band because they don't make a ton of sense from the outside looking in. Duff in particular is a smart business savvy guy, I can't believe he looks at most of this and agrees. Even something as simple as the 'branding' of the two new songs, why do they need to invert the R on Absurd and call it Hard Skool (shudder)? It's something a 12 year old would do.

Anyway, minor moans aside, delighted with HS and delighted the band are releasing music again.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
misterID wrote:

Agreed, I think The Rebel sounds ready made for Slash and Duff. too I'm intrigued to hear what they might make of State of Grace as well.

I'm really digging Hard School (the K can fuck off). I liked the demo and at first the studio track sounded jarring but a few listens in and I was used to it. Love the additions for Slash and Duff. At first the guitar work sounded kind of basic but it has really catchy hook to it. Like others have said I'm not sold on the mix, the drums sound like I'm hearing them through cotton wool.

I think they made a mistake going with Absurd as first single. The attention on HS has been lower and I think it's because it's come second and I think the momentum it could have generated as first single has been lost. Hard School is a viable hit rock single but I think a lot it will have lost the intrigue element after hearing Absurd.

Which comes back to management and who is making these commercial decisions for the band because they don't make a ton of sense from the outside looking in. Duff in particular is a smart business savvy guy, I can't believe he looks at most of this and agrees. Even something as simple as the 'branding' of the two new songs, why do they need to invert the R on Absurd and call it Hard Skool (shudder)? It's something a 12 year old would do.

Anyway, minor moans aside, delighted with HS and delighted the band are releasing music again.

Agreed...but even if we do a switcheroo and put Hard School first and Absurd second, it's still underwhelming because they completely ignored making a huge spectacle out of it being the first Axl/Slash song in decades.

I'm not even sure how much excitement they could generate with it now anyways. The reunion went on so long with nothing that Axl and Slash doing something now isn't a big deal.

Hard School should've happened in 2016. World would've went ape shit if handled correctly.

I'd love to see the alternate universe where Azoff is behind the steering wheel.

I still listen to the song  occasionally. It just makes me want an album. It's like an appetizer. Where's the main course?  tongue

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash's opening guitar work sounds like some fan lifted a VR guitar track and cut it into the demo, but the more the song goes on the better he gets. Really dig the outro. I think Oklahoma might be the hidden gem, just sounds totally made for Slash.

Forgot to add State Of Grace. Hopefully Rebel has been fleshed out into a real song.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Try as I might, I can't find anything to love about this version vs. the leak we got two years ago. The whole thing sounds dumbed down - the music, the production, the arrangement ...

I'll buy the single next year once it's actually stocked and ready for purchase, just to signal to the band support for releasing music vs. more merch ... but I hope we one day get an official, lossless release of the Buckethead version. That one is a masterpiece. The new rendition is just sloppy, something I never thought would be true of a track Axl allowed for release.

Sky Dog wrote:

ID, the outro sounds like the leak…it may be Bucket. bucket

Board footer