You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

Sky Dog wrote:

If that is what Slash and Duff thinks they should come back with, I have no hope for a full album of original material.

And now, apparently a Looney Tunes voiceover is a good sign for the future? Really?

Honestly, I’m flabbergasted.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

People say he won't sing because his voice is not good enough anymore. He sounded fine on that recording and that was recent. Of course it is fully possible he hasn't and won't do shit, but this CD EP or whatever is not proof either way. They don't appear to be singles to promote any album. What is good is that what S&D contributed on those songs could be good news for a possible album if we ever get one.

I'll agree the likely explanation we are getting old demos is because Axl hasn't recorded anything new. On the other hand why release them at all if Slash thinks it is shit. They're not making any money off it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sp1at wrote:

The ISRC code for Absurd is USUG12103950, and the ISRC code for Hard Skool is USUG12103961.

Sometimes for albums, the codes run as a numerical sequence (I think this happened with CD and other GN'R releases), so this could imply that an entire album has been handed over, and that Hard Skool is 11 tracks after Absurd on the album. Nothing is registered on the numbers in between, but there are other tracks for other artists before and after these codes.

Of course, it might mean nothing

tumblr_n98e8azZCY1r67zo4o1_500.gif

FINALLY .....some concrete info that suggests something more substantial than a double A side is on tap.

It's no guarantee of course....but this is the kind of info to be watching for since they don't know how to properly communicate with their fan base.

Now we need a peak into UMG's internal memos. It's how this site got the scoop on CD'S upcoming release in 2008.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
sp1at wrote:
gavgnr wrote:

Hopefully means something. How did you find this?

The ISRC is generally found on streaming sites, or song directory sites. It doesn't conclusively mean anything, I think Better had a slightly earlier reference to the rest of CD, but if the band have submitted a batch of songs, they can follow a sequence that matches the tracklist

That kinda suggests that at one point they envisaged Better being a single.

Which it should have been. Their approach to the CD singles was nonsensical. Chinese Democracy with that extended intro and no radio edit, and Street of Dreams?

It should've been Better straight out the gate, and TWAT for that "November Rain epic" vibe (and to prove that the CD-era guitarists could throw down when it came to an epic Slash-style guitar solo).

I think we're seeing a bigger glimpse into the Harley Davidson Better ad campaign which of course turned into the usual AFD bait and switch with Paradise City.

Looks like Merck wasn't lying after all....it was being placed on the launch pad late 06/early 07 and Better was going to fuel its ascent.

It went to shit because they had shit management but since contracts had been signed, they had to deliver something ...

So they took us down to the Paradise City.

Azoff enters stage right a year later, gets the damn thing out of the way so the reunion can happen because he sees five steps ahead of everyone else....then exits stage left.

Their approach to the CD singles was nonsensical. Chinese Democracy with that extended intro and no radio edit, and Street of Dreams?

Nobody gave the tiniest of shits at that point....not the label, not Azoff, not Axl....

It was all about recouping the insane costs for the project. Once Azoff instantly achieved that, all thinking/strategizing was over.

The fan base put more thought into it than they did.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I just can’t wrap my brain around the fact that someone couldn’t really get this thing back to where it deserves to be. Most of this stuff is just flat out common sense that any allegedly intelligent individual should comprehend.

The two problems (maybe) here are that we have no idea how motivated the red head really is in creating music.  And maybe he and Slash/Duff just can't write/record together (without Izzy) like the old days.  Slash obviously works on a different wavelength than Axl and maybe those differences can't/won't ever be resolved to where they can write and record normally as a band anymore.

IMO he's the Billy Joel of the 21st century but unlike Joel, he's not willing to release a statement saying he's creatively spent, the muse is gone, etc.

Other than a handful of studio sessions late 90s-mid 00s, he's a touring nostalgia act.

What makes this situation so unusual in comparison to other nostalgia artists/bands is the fact he/they have a hardcore base that fantasy books all sorts of scenarios that look like a U2 level comeback.

Of course reality always sets in which creates contempt and the fact they have a management team that has difficulty walking and chewing gum, it remains static to where it's like we're orbiting the event horizon of a black hole.

Luckily.... it's starting to look like something is happening....the second half of Chinese with Fink, Bucket, Ron, and Pitman gone and featuring Slash and Duff.

I’m still hoping, but the argument remains - why release an album when the EP’s not even been released yet? :

Because management has zero experience at this. There's a learning curve....

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

By way of comparison, the Killers new album is listed a few numbers later starting at USUG12104015, and goes by the tracklist. Fernando also said on Reddit that "Releases are starting to get slotted." which could imply Universal have the material and half a plan as to when thing are happening.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I just can’t wrap my brain around the fact that someone couldn’t really get this thing back to where it deserves to be. Most of this stuff is just flat out common sense that any allegedly intelligent individual should comprehend.

The two problems (maybe) here are that we have no idea how motivated the red head really is in creating music.  And maybe he and Slash/Duff just can't write/record together (without Izzy) like the old days.  Slash obviously works on a different wavelength than Axl and maybe those differences can't/won't ever be resolved to where they can write and record normally as a band anymore.

IMO he's the Billy Joel of the 21st century but unlike Joel, he's not willing to release a statement saying he's creatively spent, the muse is gone, etc.

Other than a handful of studio sessions late 90s-mid 00s, he's a touring nostalgia act.

What makes this situation so unusual in comparison to other nostalgia artists/bands is the fact he/they have a hardcore base that fantasy books all sorts of scenarios that look like a U2 level comeback.

Of course reality always sets in which creates contempt and the fact they have a management team that has difficulty walking and chewing gum, it remains static to where it's like we're orbiting the event horizon of a black hole.

Luckily.... it's starting to look like something is happening....the second half of Chinese with Fink, Bucket, Ron, and Pitman gone and featuring Slash and Duff.

I’m still hoping, but the argument remains - why release an album when the EP’s not even been released yet? :

Because management has zero experience at this. There's a learning curve....

Very interesting takes here...at the risk of once again reading too far into things, I'll reference something I read Axl said once. He said something about how his break up with Slash harmed him creatively as an artist. A band truly is a marriage I guess...

I guess I always hoped that getting back together would ameliorate that stunted growth...it didn't.

Creativity is a funny thing...it's far more fragile than I ever realized.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

polluxlm wrote:

If he hasn't done much lyrics and vocals since 99 they really should just make an extended CD version with Slash and Duff. At least that way we're getting something from them. Like a redux version. Scrap some of the stinkers, put in Absurd, HS, OMG, the General and what else exists that he finished.

IMO, they should make a re-recording with the songs they played in the NITL tours and some tracks added:

1 - "Chinese Democracy"
2 - "Better"
3 - "There Was a Time"
4 - "Catcher In The Rye"
5 - "Sorry"
6 - "Madagascar"
7 - "This I Love"
8 - "Prostitute"
9 - "Absurd"
10 - "Hard Skool"
11 - "Oh My God"
12 - "Berlin"
13 - "Cuban Skies"
14 - "The General"
15 - "Atlas Shrugged"
16 - "Soul Monster"
17 - "Seven"
18 - "Down By The Ocean"
19 - "If The World"
20 - "Wichita Lineman"
21 - "Black Hole Sun"
22 - "Bennie & The Jets"
23 - "The Seeker"
24 - "Street Of Dreams"
25 - "Down By The Ocean"
26 - "Perhaps"
27 - "Moustache"
28 - "Going Down"

And some more and its ready to go

Sky Dog wrote:

Borderline insane post roll

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

Intros and excessive length songs plagued CD imo. A good example is Scraped: a good song, could use better lyrics for the chorus but I love the bi polar lyrics everywhere else. But the intro is garbage! I had a buddy listen and he wanted to skip before the song even started because of that intro.. They should of started that song with the intro they used live with Frank on drums, that would rock.

Riad- dumb intro
Chinese- super long intro, should have been a separate track like other bands do
Better- not as bad but imagine the live intro now going right into the song

And they should have cut the long middle part out of Madagascar, I can't stand it!

Board footer