You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Some roles Costner turned down:

Air Force One
The role of the President was originally written for Costner but after complications with another film (The Postman), Costner had to drop out. He offered the part to Harrison Ford.
Actor who got the part: Harrison Ford

Apollo 13
Actor who got the part: Tom Hanks

Armageddon
Actor who got the part: Bruce Willis

Big
Costner was approached to get the lead role but was already commited to "Bull Durham".
Actor who got the part: Tom Hanks

Accidental Tourist
Actor who got the part: William Hurt

Dave
Kevin Costner turned down the lead role.
Actor who got the part: Kevin Kline

The Fugitive
Actor who got the part: Harrison Ford

The Hunt for Red October
Actor who got the part: Alec Baldwin

Jagged Edge
Actor who got the part: Jeff Bridges

Kill Bill: Vol. 1
Actor who got the part: David Carradine

Django Unchained
Ace Woody was written specifically for Costner, but the character was scrapped when he dropped out and became two characters.

The Matrix
Costner was apparently considered for the role of Neo (seriously).
Actor who got the part: Keanu Reeves

Michael Collins
Kevin Costner was considered for the role of Michael Collins.
Actor who got the part: Liam Neeson

Platoon
Costner turned down a role in Platoon because he did not agree with the tone of the movie.
Actor who got the part: Willem Dafoe

The Prince of Tides
Kevin Costner turned down the lead role of Tom Wingo.
Actor who got the part: Nick Nolte

Raising Arizona
Actor who got the part: Nicolas Cage

The Shawshank Redemption
Costner was offered the part of the main character Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption.
Actor who got the part: Tim Robbins

A Time to Kill
Actor who got the part: Matt McConaughey

Traffic
Actor who got the part: MIchael Douglas

WarGames
Costner turned down the lead role (Matthew Broderick) to do The Big Chill. Unfortunately, that part ended up being cut.
Actor who got the part: Matthew Broderick

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That is insane.

Wargames might have sped up his ride to the top. He was still playing extras in 1982...he's a frat boy in the party scene in Night Shift.

Some of those clearly wouldn't work with him and either bomb or are simply completely different films....

Big
Dave
The Matrix
Micheal Collins
Raising Arizona

Passing on Air Force One, Apollo 13, and The Fugitive were collosal mistakes.

It clearly helped lead his decline in relevancy as we entered the 2000s.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Funny thing is, the Coen's wrote Raising Arizona specifically for Costner and didn't want Cage. If you've seen Fandango I can totally see why they wanted him.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Funny thing is, the Coen's wrote Raising Arizona specifically for Costner and didn't want Cage. If you've seen Fandango I can totally see why they wanted him.

I still can't see him in it. I think they lucked out on him taking a pass. It happens...

Imagine Al Pacino, Harvey Keitel, Robert Redford, etc. in Martin Sheens role in Apocalypse Now.

Like 10 actors were offered that role before Sheen got it.

Looking at that list again. It's mind boggling.

It's littered with huge pop culture films of the 90s..and they're spread out evenly.. It would have set him up as THE action star going in to the year 2000.

On the other hand, it might even out to the same.

To put him in The Fugitive, you've just eliminated The Bodyguard.

To put him in Red October, you've eliminated Dances with Wolves... maybe. That timeline is close.

Air Force One is the real no brainer. No reason not to take that.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Looking at that list again. It's mind boggling.

It's littered with huge pop culture films of the 90s..and they're spread out evenly.. It would have set him up as THE action star going in to the year 2000.

On the other hand, it might even out to the same.

To put him in The Fugitive, you've just eliminated The Bodyguard.

To put him in Red October, you've eliminated Dances with Wolves... maybe. That timeline is close.

Air Force One is the real no brainer. No reason not to take that.

I had no idea that Costner turned down that many roles.  Counterpoint to the Dances with Wolves one; if he takes Red October there are also the two money making Jack Ryan sequels that followed (Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger--again Harrison Ford benefits). 

Him taking and making Air Force One probably at worst delays the bomb known as Waterworld which more or less put a stop to his career as an A lister.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I compiled a list of actors appearing in top ten box office movies for the year since 1930. Costner's run in the late 80s and early 90s was high on the list. Definitely in the top 3 for hottest run of all time. Dude was on fire appearing in one or more top movies every year. Then after Waterworld he just vanished, never to appear in a top movie as a leading man ever again.

In a sense Dances With Wolves is what set him up for the kill. He had the benefit of working with a great script at the right time and it made him think he was also a great director. Waterworld and the Postman sunk him. Huge budgets squandered on risky ideas. He was done in the business, working at that level, after that. Then he got old and there was no coming back.

A shame really. He was perhaps the last great, classical style movie star. Today the only movie star is Dwayne Johnson. Imagine him leading a JFK or A Perfect World.

James

James wrote:

Today the only movie star is Dwayne Johnson.

Tom Cruise strongly disagrees with this statement.

I agree in spirit though...I've complained about this for years. The icons of the 20th century(TV, movie, music, etc) are not being replaced. In its place is a sea of mediocrity.

We're a nation in decline and it's easily detected in our culture.

Dude was on fire appearing in one or more top movies every year. Then after Waterworld he just vanished, never to appear in a top movie as a leading man ever again

Him taking and making Air Force One probably at worst delays the bomb known as Waterworld which more or less put a stop to his career as an A lister.

Another actor who suffered a similar decline is Demi Moore.

Late 80s-early 90s she was doing it right. Huge blockbusters with some random films in the mix that didn't help or hurt her trajectory... just kept it going.

The first crack in the armor was Disclosure although I liked it. I should watch it again soon.

Then comes the double whammy of GI Jane and Striptease.

There was no real recovery from that.

The actor who has Teflon surrounding him is Cruise. The few missteps are largely forgotten.

Even his eccentric Scientology horse shit couldn't negatively impact his career.

I've always wondered how his career would've played out had he never met Sherilyn Fenn...who introduced him to Scientology.

He was always standoffish with fans and a bit unconventional in promotion. This might be different without Scientology in the mix.

Other former A list actors who fell quickly were Seagal and Van Damme.

n a sense Dances With Wolves is what set him up for the kill. He had the benefit of working with a great script at the right time and it made him think he was also a great director. Waterworld and the Postman sunk him. Huge budgets squandered on risky ideas. He was done in the business, working at that level, after that. Then he got old and there was no coming back.

He thought he could become the next Clint Eastwood.

He was wrong.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Tarantino was on a mission to revitalize Costner the way he did Travolta. Even if you're signed for another movie, you pay to get out to do a Tarantino film. Same with Cruise who passed up Pitt's role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.I

Steve McQueen was set to star in Apocalypse Now but turned it down out of sheer laziness. He also turned down Close Encounters of the Third Kind because he didn't want to cry on screen anymore. I mean, seriously... Both Eastwood and Pacino turned down Apocalypse Now.

James

James wrote:

Same with Cruise who passed up Pitt's role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I think that conflicted with Mission Impossible. I'm glad he turned it down. The world needs a few more of those.

Steve McQueen was set to star in Apocalypse Now but turned it down out of sheer laziness

This is who I meant instead of Robert Redford.

I forgot about Clint turning it down. That is frightening. It is a completely different film.. literally. He had the clout to change the script.

Some classic films are classics almost by accident or quirk of fate.

Reminds me of that story years ago about The Devil's Own. The original screenplay was supposedly amazing but by the time both Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt were brought onboard and went back and forth demanding changes, they clusterfucked the project.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Costner is great in Yellowstone.

Board footer