You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Blackstar
 Rep: 11 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Blackstar wrote:

There is a new Slash interview in Classic Rock magazine (not available online yet). He repeats that GnR haven't worked on brand new songs, but says more re-recorded material from the CD era is coming out. It seems they'll keep releasing songs and not an album at once, and (maybe) that they haven't finished recording yet. Here are the related parts:

Were there any songs or riffs on the new Conspirators record that you thought: “Maybe I should save this for the Guns N’ Roses album”?

No. Guns is a completely different process. That happens more like collectively sitting around and Guns going: “Okay, we’re gonna make a record”, and sort of compiling ideas in that moment. But we haven’t really done that yet. So I just did the Conspirators thing because I’d written all this material for it.

Two new Guns N’ Roses songs, Absurd and Hard Skool, were posted online in 2021. These are songs from the Chinese Democracy era. What was the thinking behind that?

You know, that’s a whole other interview!

Can we at least get the story straight – were these songs re-recorded with the current GN’R line-up?

The bass and the guitars are all re-done, for the most part, but the original drums are still intact, and the vocals.

Will these songs be on the new Guns N’ Roses album? Or do they at least give an indication as to how that album is shaping up?

Hmm. I don’t know. Like I said, that’s another interview. That involves a whole other mind-set to get into. Basically, the material [Absurd and Hard Skool] was there, and I just got in there during covid and re-did the guitars, Duff did the bass, and we went from there and just put it out. And there’s some more stuff coming out too. But there’s not sort of a mental trajectory. It’s just that Axl wanted to get this material done because it was sitting there. He said: “Okay, we can rehash it.” So there you go.

[…]

The big question is whether Guns N’ Roses can pull it off with the new album you’re making. You’ve said you can’t really talk about it, but can you say, for sure, that it’s definitely happening?

Yeah! There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid.

Nobody is expecting another Appetite for Destruction, of course. But how does this sound: fifty per cent Use Your Illusion I and II and fifty per cent Chinese Democracy? Is that the kind of thing we can expect?

I really don’t have the vantage point to be able to have that perspective. I’m just not able to sort of objectively look at it like that. It’s just what it is. But it’s cool. I’m enjoying working on the stuff and having a good time doing it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

monkeychow wrote:

I like slash...but this whole "that's another mind set, and another interview" could it be any more evasive? lol.

It just gets old, can't blame him as we know the organisation has run like it for years, and besides it's kinda like the more he says publicly the more likely he is to say something wrong and set off some drama that causes it not to happen or whatever.

But the pandemic has really given me a different perspective on time, like sometimes I just think why do they make so much of all this - like it's a handful of old songs. They're super rich and super talented. Whatever they do they know some will hate it for no reason and others will love it for no reason, and others will kinda land in the middle. Don't know why they have to make it so hard.

That said, it was refreshing we got a couple of songs out this year, and I'd love to see more happen and he was talking like it will so I guess that's cool - it's just kinda embarrassing that he has to act like he's talking to the CIA when someone asks a simple question.

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Sky Dog wrote:

21

Well….that sounds slightly positive!

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Scabbie wrote:

About time Axl gave an interview to talk about his bands and album. Such a killjoy.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Scabbie wrote:

‘There’s new material coming out as we speak’

What do you think he is referring to? Hard Skool/Absurd single?

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:

Yeah! There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid.

When you get down to brass tacks, this is all that really matters I suppose.

If it were any other band, I'd say this is a great idea....

A series of singles/B sides over the course of a year and at the end of the cycle it is compiled into an album.

Unfortunately, so much can go wrong with how the organization is run. I'm hoping all the songs have already been handed to the label.

It just gets old, can't blame him as we know the organisation has run like it for years, and besides it's kinda like the more he says publicly the more likely he is to say something wrong and set off some drama that causes it not to happen or whatever.

I don't think it has anything to do with potentially pissing off Axl which would fuck things up.

These guys aren't splitting up for anything. Too much money at stake.

I think the issue is he knows it is a shittily run organization with beyond mediocre management. Other than touring in general which has been successful, it's incapable of doing anything...to the point where Fernando joked about his incompetence last year.

They can't even accidentally release something for an anniversary....it always has to be 1-2 years late.

It has to be really frustrating for an artist like Slash at this level. Hell.... imagine Duff's off the record feelings on this.

Basically, the material [Absurd and Hard Skool] was there, and I just got in there during covid and re-did the guitars, Duff did the bass, and we went from there and just put it out

Jesus...they did nothing creatively until the pandemic. 2016-19 a black hole.

Just a nostalgic touring juggernaut.

Dollars to donuts this is why the label didn't capitalize on the first two years of the reunion by releasing a 2 disc comp. They had nothing to work with. They just pushed the old GH cd.

But there’s not sort of a mental trajectory. It’s just that Axl wanted to get this material done because it was sitting there. He said: “Okay, we can rehash it.”

I'd love to know the very moment when both Axl and the label decided between 2009-14 to just sit on "the second half of Chinese" and save it for the inevitable reunion.

Why waste it on that god awful final new GNR lineup?!?

I'd wager it was around 2011-12 when that ex tour manager said Axl told him privately that he knew a reunion was inevitable but it simply wasn't time yet.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

‘There’s new material coming out as we speak’

What do you think he is referring to? Hard Skool/Absurd single?

The next round of singles which will be released during the next tour.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

polluxlm wrote:

Seems they are copying television. To watch a TV show you have to tune in every week and only after the run is over they release the box set. They will milk this album song by song to support the real cash cow. They won't talk about it because that would kill the excitement.

Clever, weird and sad. But I'll take it. At this rate however we won't see a full album for years to come.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

And Oklahoma seems a bit more fleshed out and structured than some of the other instrumentals. He may not have recorded vocals, but that didn't mean he didn't write lyrics.

Listening to it now for the first time in months...LOUD

This is a finished track just waiting for him to do his thing...other than a proper mix, it needs absolutely nothing else.

Said it the first time I heard it and I'll say it again...

It is mind boggling that this wasn't instantly placed at the top of the A list and periodically mentioned in the media during the hype in the early years of the saga.

It's one of the reasons I believe the roots of the song date back to 1995-96.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Seems they are copying television. To watch a TV show you have to tune in every week and only after the run is over they release the box set. They will milk this album song by song to support the real cash cow. They won't talk about it because that would kill the excitement.

Clever, weird and sad. But I'll take it. At this rate however we won't see a full album for years to come.

One of the brick walls this concept is going to hit...and it actually already hit...is the fact that they are unable to properly release product.

Both last year's singles are old news yet are months away from getting a physical release.

Yes I'm aware of the excuses.... doesn't matter. That should've been ready to go on all formats.

As long as we actually get it, I'll be happy.

It's just so frustrating with how they always put up their own roadblocks to everything...and then blame outside forces.

I hope 2022 is an anomaly and it feels more like GNR in the early 90s.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB