You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Smoking Guns wrote:

Costner is great in Yellowstone.

First season I was convinced the show was drama for dumb people, but I've really enjoyed seasons 2-4.  Finale tonight should be awesome.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Spiderman: No Way Home

Enjoyed this film when I saw it a couple weeks ago, but it's not worthy of the hype IMO.  Worth the ticket price, but Marvel needs to course correct for the MCU and this didn't help. 

The Last Duel:

I was very excited for this, but ultimately was disappointed. The movie is essentially told from 3 different POVs, but they all agree on the primary issue in the film's resolution, do didn't see the point to 3 different versions.

The Power of The Dog:
This movie went way above my head and I have no idea what the plot of the movie was.  Bendict Cumberatch was a closeted homosexual?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Little Things - I wanted to toss my monitor out the window after that ending.

I like slow burners...if done properly. This wasn't.

It was slow as molasses and it became obvious in the last 30 minutes  they didn't know how to wrap this story up.

Im sick of Hollywood's issues with endings.

The slow burn never really ignites. It tries to give an intense climax but it falls apart and instead of a proper resolution, it leaves it open... defeating the purpose of what we just watched.

Should've just gave a twist that Denzel is the actual killer. There were several clues hinting at this but they wouldn't go full throttle with the possibility.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Just started watching Manifest on Netflix. Quite an interesting premise - a plane full of people disappears for 5 years, and returns with the passengers having not aged a day, as it appears to them as only being a few hours up in the sky. And they are trying to work out what happened. I’m three episodes in, and it’s pretty good so far.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James wrote:

The Little Things - I wanted to toss my monitor out the window after that ending.

It was slow as molasses and it became obvious in the last 30 minutes  they didn't know how to wrap this story up.

The slow burn never really ignites. It tries to give an intense climax but it falls apart and instead of a proper resolution, it leaves it open... defeating the purpose of what we just watched.

Should've just gave a twist that Denzel is the actual killer. There were several clues hinting at this but they wouldn't go full throttle with the possibility.

Yeah, it sucked. It could have been interesting had Leto lured him out into that desert field and he fell through an old mine shaft and was never found. It was a complete waste of a good villain.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Been watching lots of crap. So called classic movies.

Maltese Falcon. Saw this years ago and thought it was pretty good for a stone age movie. Now I realize it is actually crap. Some good performances from Bogie and the fat man but the plot is ridiculous and the ending just bad. Golden age of Hollywood my ass.

Dial M For Murder. This one's still pretty good.

Frenzy. Good contrast. Nothing really wrong with the movie, plot is good quality Hitchcock. It just looks bad in that 70s style. Realism doesn't work for Hitchcock.

MASH. Does have some moments, a great cast, but Palme d'Or?

Nashville. Another one. Some people call this movie the greatest of all time and quite frankly I find such a notion absurd. It does have one very good scene with "the song" but other than that it is crap.

Fanny & Alexander. Saw it maybe ten years ago and got nothing out of it. Now with more age I have started to appreciate it a little bit. Mostly the talent of the director which is far superior to anything ever made in my country. Cultural primitives. It's still crap though. Bergman should have written books instead.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Pure garbage. I couldn't finish it. Turned it off about 30 minutes in. I shouldn't have bothered...the last one sucked too.

This franchise and the others it spawned need to die off.

misterID wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah, it sucked. It could have been interesting had Leto lured him out into that desert field and he fell through an old mine shaft and was never found. It was a complete waste of a good villain.

Yeah I thought something like that was going to happen...the detective's incompetence getting himself killed...and they did a good job building a bit of tension with Denzel trying to find exactly where they are out there.

The shovel to the head was the dumbest thing possible to happen at that moment.

Golden age of Hollywood my ass.

Yeah that period is definitely overrated.

1970s is the real golden age.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

70s to 90s. Those guys kept making good movies for a while. Golden Age for directors though, check out this list:

1920s, five names.

Alfred Hitchcok
John Ford
William Wyler
Ozu
Renoir

1930s, two names.

Luis Bunuel
Roberto Rosselini

1940s, seven names.

Akiro Kurosawa
Orson Welles
Ingmar Bergman
Billy Wilder
David Lean
Elia Kazan
John Huston

1950s, four names.

Stanley Kubrick
Federico Fellini
Sidney Lumet
Michaelangelo Antonioni

1960s, twelve names.

Sergio Leone
Tarkovsky
Milos Forman
Jean Luc Godard
Robert Altman
Roman Polanski (molesting bastard)
William Friedkin
Sam Peckinpah
Cassavetes
Sidney Pollack
Mike Nichols
John Frankenheimer

1970s, eighteen names.

Martin Scorsese
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
David Lynch
Clint Eastwood
John Carpenter
Ridley Scott
Brian De Palma
Werner Herzog
George Lucas
Terry Gilliam
Jonathan Demme
Terrence Malick
David Cronenberg
Woody Allen (suspected molesting bastard)
Peter Weir
Paul Verhoeven
Wolfgang Petersen

1980s, eleven names.

Coen Brothers
Robert Zemeckis
James Cameron
Peter Jackson
Tim Burton
Oliver Stone
Michael Mann
Luc Besson
Lars Von Trier
Jim Jarmusch
John McTiernan

1990s, thirteen names.

Quentin Tarantino
David Fincher
PT Anderson
Guillermo Del Toro
Darren Aronofsky
Mel Gibson
Danny Boyle
Sam Mendes
Frank Darabont
Cameron Crowe
M Night Shyamalan
Jean Pierre Jeunet
Alexander Payne

2000s, four names.

Christopher Nolan
Dennis Villenneuve
Wes Anderson
Inarritu

2010s, I think there were a few names but none worth mentioning.

misterID

misterID wrote:

A name forgotten on that list: Peter Bogdanovich. He passed away yesterday. I just started watching Paper Moon again and I'd forgotten how awesome it is. Last Picture Show is one of the greatest films ever made. Mask was another great film. I need to watch Saint Jack. Nickelodeon was a dumb film but I remember liking it as a kid. Bogdanovich had a weird career, and he just couldn't get out of the way of his own ego. His Tom Petty documentary was fantastic.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Sidney Poitier just passed. The Defiant Ones was a great film, even with the awful Tony Curtis. In The Heat of the Night was flawless.

Board footer