You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

So, just listened to D Tune and Me & My Elvis again on my AirPods. Holy shit! There is no way those 2 don’t have lyrics. They are way better instrumentally than the 2 we got. Mind boggling. mad

I don't understand the process of deciding which songs are not only worthy of release, but in which order.

The potential buzz of releasing the first Axl/Slash song in nearly 30 years was wasted on Absurd.

I'm aware its only purpose was to help promote the tour...and it did that...but any other song could have also achieved this. It totally lacked any sort of legitimate push by the band or label.

Then came Hardschool...a slight notch above Absurd in quality.

Two new songs hot off the presses... coming to a store near you in 6 months!

Now it looks like they're going to do the same thing this upcoming tour cycle.

Do they up the ante or is it an identical rollout?

Will we get Oh My God to kick off the tour?

Do they release a potential monster track like Oklahoma or Soul Monster and swing for the fences?

I'm gonna laugh if it's Oh My God.

It would be like Axl trolling Slash and Duff with the 1-2-3 triple whammy of Silkworms, Hard School, and Oh My God....all songs from the early sessions and showing that Slash and Duff never should have left.

You guys walking out the door and abandoning me because you don't like this change in sound?

Why?

You're just going to come back in 20 years and finish recording them, releasing it, and touring behind it!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If Absurd and Hard Skool hadn’t already been released, these comments would deserve a lot of scrutiny. But since they’ve already opened the flood (drip) gates, I’ll take Slash at face value. I think we’re getting more. I certainly do not rule out getting the likes of Oh My God or their interpretation of Better though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with potentially pissing off Axl which would fuck things up.

Doesn't it?

Why then is everyone who works for the organisation media shy?

By nature of their extreme fame Slash and Duff field gnr questions for life but they always answer with "it's fun, can't recall, don't know, don't ask, and I'm here to talk about fluff".

The other guys like Dizzy and Richard and Melissa, Frank etc really only take interviews when they have a side gig and get cornered then they usually make vague promises about how lots more happens than we know and it's all going to be bad ass until they are asked when and then they hear their mom calling outside and have to go.

The actual management seems to only talk to the media or make public statements to tell us what victims they are of outside circumstances or how desperately we all need to go fuck ourselves for the crime of liking the band.

Yet, weirdly, the minute people leave this organisation, like DJ and Bumble, and Gilby and whoever they tend to go back to sane and rational communications with fans and media.

So if it's not that Axl requires a culture of silence and secrecy around the band, then who does it come from?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If Absurd and Hard Skool hadn’t already been released, these comments would deserve a lot of scrutiny. But since they’ve already opened the flood (drip) gates, I’ll take Slash at face value. I think we’re getting more. I certainly do not rule out getting the likes of Oh My God or their interpretation of Better though.

I wouldn’t mind hearing CD songs that got lost in the shuffle along the way like The Blues and IRS if they go the route of songs the masses have heard already.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with potentially pissing off Axl which would fuck things up.

Doesn't it?

By nature of their extreme fame Slash and Duff field gnr questions for life but they always answer with "it's fun, can't recall, don't know, don't ask, and I'm here to talk about fluff".

The other guys like Dizzy and Richard and Melissa, Frank etc really only take interviews when they have a side gig and get cornered then they usually make vague promises about how lots more happens than we know and it's all going to be bad ass until they are asked when and then they hear their mom calling outside and have to go.

The actual management seems to only talk to the media or make public statements to tell us what victims they are of outside circumstances or how desperately we all need to go fuck ourselves for the crime of liking the band.

Yet, weirdly, the minute people leave this organisation, like DJ and Bumble, and Gilby and whoever they tend to go back to sane and rational communications with fans and media.

So if it's not that Axl requires a culture of silence and secrecy around the band, then who does it come from?

All of this 100%

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of him requiring it, rather they know and fear him. I have a friend who is kind of cautious around me because I got really mad at him once. I imagine with Axl this feeling is a lot stronger.

But like I say to my friend, it's all completely unnecessary. Unless they talk straight shit about him I doubt he would care if they talked more.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Doesn't it?

In the era of the ancient Chinese secret, Scooby Doo mystery act of the new GNR years?

Absolutely.

Now? I don't think so.

Part of it may have to do with it but like I said earlier, none of these guys(especially Axl) is going to risk imploding this thing over small potatoes.

Let's say in the next interview, Slash is asked about the Chinese vault...and he mentions a Bucket song that's ok but Axls vocal take isn't up to snuff.

Would there be any real blowback from that?

I doubt it.

I think we've reached the point where they know no matter what they say or if they give updates, chances of it happening are slim to none due to how the organization is run.

Hell...if they had mentioned an anniversary box set for AFD... something easily set in stone for any other band ...they would've been a year off!

It has to be frustrating.

The Chinese guys definitely walked on eggshells around him though. That was one of the problems...they had no power in that dynamic. While dealing with that, also forced to deal with shoddy management.

Polluxlm does make a valid point about how history impacts how you act around someone....I just don't think they're "afraid" of him anymore.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

You guys keep saying this is a never ending cash cow, but how is that remotely true?  It's not CD that's bringing half full stadiums to see a group of guys entering their 60s. It's the albums they released over 30 years ago.  Nostalgia is a powerful thing and enough to get asses in seats with the impact and longevity of AFD and UYI, but how far away is Axl from being Vince Neil to the eyes of everyone but the diehards?

We saw this in 2002, people ran to see GN'R in that failed tour with MSG selling out in minutes.  But 2006 and onward, they were playing arenas and by 2011, Axl was doing a residency in Vegas with DJ Ashba.  Sure, they can always do well at RIR or the big festivals in Europe once they come back.  But their stadium tours without new music isn't going to continue indefinitely.  Sure I'll be there along with whatever friends I drag with me, but the other 90% of attendees are going to see Mickey Mouse fucking up KOHD on YouTube and not part with $200 to see the same show they saw a couple years before.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl's housekeeper's son is manager of the band. If that doesn't explain everything, or isn't a perfect metaphor of what's wrong with this organization, I don't know what is.

*I don't think it's their fault. I think their whole job, and every decision they make, is based around not pissing Axl off. This is how Axl wants things run.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Axl understands the power of contracts and lawsuits. They have been used against him just as he has weaponized them against Steven Adler, musicians/employees (in the form of non-disclosure agreements), etc.

GNR is pretty much a dictatorship. Everything hinges on his decisions.

Slash knows this and has pretty clearly reached a point in his life where he is willing to play the game for the paycheck and on-stage acclaim. Is he as satisfied as he could be with GNR? Probably not. But some relationships are rewarding enough to endure even if they are not fulfilling.

I think GNR as a band and Axl as an artist would benefit from a meeting of the minds with Axl, Duff, and Slash functioning more as equals. But he is set in his ways.

For this, we all lose.

Board footer